Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spirit

Baguamonk1,

Just a note that the equivalent of 'spirit shout' used to be a part of some CMA but when the intellectual scholars (those dabblng in CMA) encountered it, they considered it 'uncouth' to raise one's voice, or yell to the top of one's lungs so the practice fell by the wayside of modernity!

In agreement that some of the top Japanese masters have more internal skill than many CMAers, and they will give you the seat they are sitting on. Just keeping it brief here. As you know, it is the man who make the art shine.

Comment

Too ignorant or stupid??? They weren't ignorant or stupid, they didn't have access to modern science or physics the way we do now. Some of the BEST martial artists were peasants, farmers, butchers ETC. It doesn't make them stupid, and I never said they were stupid.

All I was trying to illuminate that the common "skeptic's" view of chi is incorrect because of the stereotypes and connotation the word has. Even classic chinese philosophy might be hard to "decipher" to some. It takes an understanding of chinese culture and history, as well as experience to truly understand most of it. Lots of chi-huggers as they call them, view seems to be a bit skewed sometimes too. I said many times that it was best to keep things simple, and some-what generic.They used the word to describe MANY processes going on in body, but its not like they could measure what was actually happening, ONLY what they felt. And it tied into Chinese philosophy (chi is universal energy). It was best to keep things simple since you are trying to do methods that require a stillness of mind and focus. Why complicate things, or try to complicate it when it might actually hinder the process. Although there are people who simply can't/don't get it so they need things spelled out for them, or more in depth evidence. This is fine because we don't live in old China anymore...lots of things have changed and alot of CMA'ists and researchers alike are finding links to science, and different methods of explaining to people in ways that they can understand.

Can you imagine what someone like Randi thinks when he hears of some of the outrageous claims?? I dont blame him because with his background I would too. Not saying it doesn't exist, I was talking about the stupid kids who go out there and pretend to shoot hadoukens out of their hands, or overweight kempo instructors slapping newscasters around hoping that it will knock them out. Or the guys who claim a manipulation of chi is the ultimate way to fight someone, when it usually only works to those who's energy is sensitive to your own. I also don't know why you kept defending your school..I wasn't talking about your school, I was talking about all the obvious charlatans that were out there. And trust me, there are ALOT, including some that have a bit of respect from their students. It hasn't left my views jaded..but more clear. Obviously to those who don't suffer from these issues, I am not "jaded" towards. I have already apologized for talking about some of the things I did, because I did not mean to imply that you guys were like that.

It is you who should not get frustrated with other's sharing opinions And I don't use the word "internal force." Because since I do 3 different types of IMA, there are many different ways of expressing it. And nowhere in my curcicullum has my teacher used the word "internal force" but he uses various other terms that are similar or refer to similar things. So of course I am not going to explain things the way you do. There is also different ways of expressing "energy." Maybe I am talking about a physical force, but with a different flavors. The way internal force is applied and felt between all the hundreds of Shaolin styles (from one another too) and also between different Internal martial art styles can vary ALOT. Maybe you explain it all by simply saying "internal force" but I find the supposed "internal force" from one method, to another method to be of HUGE difference. I just like offering different views and ways of explaining the same thing, because sometimes there ARE subtle differences.
      Last edited by Baguamonk1; 20 September 2006, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X