Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rarity and Value

Does rarity really equate to value?

Think of the most common thing there is - the stones beneath your feet? A blade of grass? Then imagine the world without that. A sorry place if a place at all.

You are a universe. Thousands of microbes live on you and in you. To each of them, you are their world, you are god. You can decide the fate of each of them.

Every drop of water is an ocean, and every grain of sand is a mountain.

Chris.

Hmmm

Hey Chris,

Why do I get the impression someone has been practicing Dan Tian Breathing?

Comment

Nope. At the course in London, Sigung told me not to for three or four months. Looking forward to doing so, though.

I guess this came from our old friend Lifting The Sky

Chris.

Comment

Training Methods

Excellent, congratulations on the advice.

Comment

Thanks, both for your congratulations and for the guidance.

Its really great that I can share this stuff somewhere where people understand and don't just say 'Huh?'

Chris.

Comment

I find these types of perspectives very interesting. It is good, IMHO, to take the time to look at things this way as opposed to looking at the world as it evolves around us.

It reminds me of a book one of my old Maths Lecturers showed me. It was about size and relativity, and each page showed an image, starting from the furthest away image taken from space and slowly working closer and closer and closer down to the Earth, into a city, on the roof of a building, focusing on a sunbather, then continued to go closer until it got to the microscopic level. It was a good way of showing you the scope of that which is greater than you, and that which is smaller than you.
            Rory

"The holistic training of Shaolin Kungfu with Chi Kung makes one physically fit, emotionally stable and mentally fresh: if one is not physically fit, one can hardly fight; if one is not emotionally stable, one cannot apply one's combat skills; if one is not mentally fresh, one cannot make split-second decisions."
            Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit (Sigung) - The Art of Shaolin Kungfu

Comment

Yevin,

I once saw a film like that, starting from outer space and zooming in to someones hand. It zoomed further and further in until you realised that you had gone full circle back to the beginning and were zooming in from outer space again.

If you want to read some cool stuff try this...

Researchers developing large-scale quantum computers hope that playing a video game will provide the solutions they need to program their advanced machines

(this link goes to the website of New Scientist magazine, which looks at cutting edge developments in science).

The world is a very different place to the tiny bit we generally see.

Chris

Comment

thanks for the link! Lots of interesting information there.

This also reminds me of some lines from a poem by William Blake.

"To see a world in a grain of sand

and a heaven in a wild flower,

hold infinity in the palm of your hand

and eternity in an hour."
                Rory

"The holistic training of Shaolin Kungfu with Chi Kung makes one physically fit, emotionally stable and mentally fresh: if one is not physically fit, one can hardly fight; if one is not emotionally stable, one cannot apply one's combat skills; if one is not mentally fresh, one cannot make split-second decisions."

Comment

Cool

Cool quote.

Erm... I think I might have plagiarised the 'grain of sand' bit, actually not intentionally though.

Chris.

Comment

Re: Cool

Originally posted by cnholmes
                    Erm... I think I might have plagiarised the 'grain of sand' bit, actually not intentionally though.
                    haha, well actually I don't think it's considered plagiarism, since anyone can say 'grain of sand'. Now if you had refered to 'seeing a world in a grain of sand' then that might be different
                    Rory

Comment

Does rarity really equate to value?

Well I thought it did; in fact still do. Be it an ancient bit of pottery or some roman coin. But just as rare is the sunset of yesterday for all of its uniqueness. Because we have them everyday doesn't make them the same. That goes for the pebbles too or the grains of sand. We choose to see them as an every-day sort of thing, but at closer look there’s no two pebbles alike.
                      It's our perception of things that give them a price. That let us comfortably have a cup of tea and watch telly, while some green-peace bloke ties himself to a tree on the other side of the planet.
                      The awareness that every breath is a new experience which involves infinite variables whilst it lasts, makes them pretty rare too and priceless.
                      Then again, maybe it doesn’t really matter if my foot-soles don’t notice the difference in the pebbles as I walk over, or my nostrils don’t notice the difference of each breath coz I’m busy doing stuff or have my eyes closed.
                      Like being aware and not being aware, to sometimes, catch ourselves with a smile plastered across our faces while staring out at an ordinarily rare beautiful sky…”(to) hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.”

Comment

Cool

Comment

Working...
                        X