Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change

Dear everyone,

Please permit me to share part of an inspiring article about "change".
    (source: http://www.thebalitimes.com/2010/03/...-meditatively/)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is very famous Zen anecdote of a disciple asking his master,
    “Master, Master, what were you doing before your enlightenment?”
    And, the Master answered, “I was tending my garden.”
    “And,” the disciple asked again, “what did you do after your enlightenment?”
    “Don’t you see,” the Master asked back, “I am still tending my garden.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and, the following is the comment from the writer of that article:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We can change the phrase “tending my garden” to anything. It can be “looking after my business” or “working in the office” – anything. The point is this. Meditation does not take you away from your world. Meditation does not change the outer routine of your life. Meditation colours your world, and your life.

Meditation fills your being with a fresh aroma. You are the same person, and yet you are not. From outside, nothing changes. You are still you. You may change your outfit. You may wear a robe instead of trousers and a shirt – that does not change your body, your physique. The body is still the same. Your physical needs are still there.

And yet something changes. The change is inner – it is not outer. Outwardly, no change is dictated. Inwardly, you are a new being.

“What” you do before and after meditation is not important. It is “how” you do that is important. A businessman can still run his business; a diplomat remains a diplomat; and a professional does not have to leave his profession. Meditation changes the way you run your business, and profession.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you enjoy it as well,
    Best regards,
    Joko
    Last edited by joko; 20 March 2010, 03:25 AM.
    开心 好运气
    kai xin... .......hao yunqi... - Sifu's speech, April 2005
    open heart... good chi flow... good luck ...
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Have we not opened up thy heart ...? (The Reading, 94:1)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Be joyful, ..and share your joy with others -(Anand Krishna)

Thank you Sisook Joko for sharing this

That's exactly how it is, it's our own view of what we do that changes, not particularly what we do. Nice.

Pat
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    He who knows much about others may be learned, but he who understands himself is more intelligent. He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.

Comment

Dear Joko,
      Thanks for starting this thread, it reminded me of a Zen saying I had heard sometime ago, and I went looking for it and found a page full of Zen poetry.

Here is the relevant poem:

Before I had studied Zen for thirty years, I saw mountains as mountains,
      and waters as waters.
      When I arrived at a more intimate knowledge, I came to the point
      where I saw that mountains are not mountains,
      and waters are not waters.
      But now that I have got its very substance I am at rest.
      For it's just that I see mountains once again as mountains,
      and waters once again as waters.

- Ching-yuan

Speaking of my own development I think I am at the stage where the mountains are not mountains (ie I am questioning my values and deciding what to do in life) but I can see how when there is an internal change the conflict can dissappear and one can "let go" and accept the world humbly as a gift, and this is what I aspire to
      Some more zen poetry if anyone wants http://www.gardendigest.com/zen/quotes.htm
      from the ♥

Comment

Working...
      X