Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Temple of China?/ True Kung Fu Practice

Forum, Fellow Students,Instructors,

For a long time now I have been on this thought, Why was Shaolin Wahnam not added into the Shaolin Temple Martial practice after it was rebuilt?

I understand that in China, after the Red Guard destruction of the Shaolin temple: and A fight in a Japanese Saito competition, decided that the martial world no longer needed to be disbanded: and the need to restore the Culture and the Martial Arts and the Shaolin Temple became a great deal to them, however I am wondering why they did not ask Si-gung Wong to help with the Restoring of True Gung Fu and not the Wushu that is seen in practice today? now don't get me wrong here I like what the Monks are practicing it looks great sure, but if there was ever a need to restore True Gung Fu, should it not be in the temples criteria, instead of constant Wushu practice? Also I understand that many master did not trust the Governments atempt at restoring Martial Arts, and died with the Secrets or left their secrets to Diciples who in turn did not spread the secrets held but to a select few. Or is it that The Government within China does not fully believe that The kind of Kung Fu that we here practice is of any use to Buddhist Monks? or maybe they would have feared an overthrow, I mean the possibilites posing the question are endless, And to much to speculate on, however I still wonder; Si-Gung's Kung Fu Is a True Kung Fu, it should be placed in with the Shaolin temple, as a study of Real Combat education. My opinion only, but I would like to hear other views as well.

Amitoufo.
    David

Young Caine: How does man rid himself of such terrible things?
    Master Kahn: Each man must start with himself, within himself.. By slowly forging his Chi, the bond between the finite and the infinte, the inner essense of his strenght and the limitless power of the Universe, only thus can you conquer the power.. and the presence of evil.

Amitabha Buddha.

I do not know the reasons, but one thing is for sure: we should bring the genuine Shaolin Arts back to the Shaolin Temple. So far, to my knowledge, we are the only ones still practising the genuine Shaolin Arts. Perhaps there are others out there, but I am not aware of them. With our resources, experience and lineage, we are the ones best suited to transmit the arts back.

With Shaolin Salute,
    Lee Wei Joo
    http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

What was the aim of rebuilding the Shaoln Temple in Henan? It was not, as far as I know, to restore the Shaolin Monastic Order nor to re-introduce the Shaolin practices. If it had been done for this reason, and this reason alone, the Shaolin "Monks" would not be travelling the world doing shows. The Shaolin Temple would also not be open to tourists. I could not imagine true Shaolin Monks -- in search of enlightenment and owning only 3 items (their clothing, a bowl and a razor) -- having any interest in being an attraction for tourists, earning money from shows, etc.

Andrew
      Sifu Andrew Barnett
      Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
      Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
      Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Hi David.

Personally, I don't think the current Shaolin Wushu Monks are ready to admit that what they practice is not genuine Shaolin Kung Fu. In fact, my dealings with them have shown that they believe the opposite -- i.e. that they alone practice and teach genuine Shaolin Kung Fu. There was even a movement by them to try to copyright the name "Shaolin"!

I also don't think that the Chinese government is particularly interested in restoring genuine Shaolin Kung Fu. What they are doing now draws more attention, tourism, and business. If "San Shou" makes it to the Olympics in 2008, even as a demonstration, then you can be sure that China will embrace that instead of genuine Shaolin sparring.

Personally, I feel that if we truly want to revive the spirit of the Shaolin Temple, then we must do what the Venerable Chee Seen did: Build another one.

Best,
        Sifu Anthony Korahais
        www.FlowingZen.com
        (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Dear Brothers and Sisters,
          Aren't you on your way to building several?

Best,

Ray Chang
          "Om"

I pay homage to all the great masters of the past and the present

Comment

My brother, Sifu Rama, built a Shaolin Wahnam center in Costa Rica, and I'd like to build something similar someday, but I think this is still a bit different than a monastery with live-in Buddhist monks. Of course, a monastery must be founded by a Buddhist monk or a nun. So until one of us decides to commit to becoming a monk or a nun, it's not appropriate to build a monastery. That's why Sifu Rama uses the term "center".

Nevertheless, from what I hear, Sifu Rama's center is a profoundly spiritual place.
            Sifu Anthony Korahais
            www.FlowingZen.com

Comment

the shaolin order has been emigrating to america since 1902. it is true that the rebuilt temple is purely for tourism. many of the shaolin have re-incarnated into america aswell.

Comment

many of the shaolin have re-incarnated into america aswell
                Yes, well, it seemed like a nice enough place to live.
                Sifu Anthony Korahais
                www.FlowingZen.com

Comment

Building Anew!!

Originally posted by Antonius
                  My brother, Sifu Rama, built a Shaolin Wahnam center in Costa Rica, and I'd like to build something similar someday, but I think this is still a bit different than a monastery with live-in Buddhist monks. Of course, a monastery must be founded by a Buddhist monk or a nun. So until one of us decides to commit to becoming a monk or a nun, it's not appropriate to build a monastery. That's why Sifu Rama uses the term "center".

Nevertheless, from what I hear, Sifu Rama's center is a profoundly spiritual place.
                  Hello Sifu,

When you are ready to build a "Center" or a " Temple" I would like to be there to Help, or renounce and become the Residing Monk.

Best Regards.
                  David

Young Caine: How does man rid himself of such terrible things?
                  Master Kahn: Each man must start with himself, within himself.. By slowly forging his Chi, the bond between the finite and the infinte, the inner essense of his strenght and the limitless power of the Universe, only thus can you conquer the power.. and the presence of evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Antonius
                    Yes, well, it seemed like a nice enough place to live.
                    true, yet it is also a place where the people will benefit tenfold from the order being here. soon in times to come, spirits will truly shine. these people need hope.

Comment

I found all the hundreds of kids doing Kung Fu sets then putting on gloves to kickbox when sparring quite a sad sight when I was there.

Shaolin Si and Song Shan is still a beautiful place though.

I'd like to think that genuine Shaolin Arts will be re-established there at somepoint in future.............
                      Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
                      Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
                      Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
                      - ancient wisdom

Comment

shaolin temple of china?/true kung fu practice

From watching demonstrations of the current Shaolin monks in their shows it seems they still obtain internal force.Maybe their Chi Kung practice is still at a good level?

The Shaolin are planning to building their biggest temple outside China,about 10min from were I live next year, maybe I will be able to see their trainning methods,would be interresting,will let you know.

Best Wishes,
                        Steve.

Comment

Hey Steve,

What makes you say they have internal force?

Best,
                          Sifu Anthony Korahais
                          www.FlowingZen.com

Comment

Sifu Antonius it can be confusing when it comes to the Shaolin Temple. I agree that there isn't any real Shaolin art there, the thing is I watched this show over in the UK called 'Kickass Miracles' and the presenter went to the Henan temple and spoke to on camera someone who lived there. This person claimed to know specifically Shaolin medicine and made a dit da jo for the presenters injured hand. He also demonstrated a "Special Kung Fu" that the other monks weren't aware of(he said it was internal Kung Fu)

I would normally take what anyone said about Shaolin still being alive in Henan as rubbish(due to what Sifu Wong has said)however
                            the presenter Chris Crudelli seems to be a honest character-he claims to have travelled all over asia and be expert in Kung Fu...plus in the same show(I think) he also showed that there were fake MA masters out there too.

But I still think the presenter didn't know what he was talking about...

With kind regards Shamsher.

Comment

What makes you say they have internal force?
                              Hi everyone

A few Christmas' ago, my parents bought the 'Wheel of Life' DVD for me, because they knew how keen I was on my Kung Fu. Bless their little cotton socks, they didn't know any better about the state of kung fu today or what the 'monks' really do. I still appreciate the present though, the guys put on a fine athletic performance.

In the special section of the DVD, they had what we call the 'strong man shows'. You know, the usual lying on a bed of nails and having a concrete slab broken on their chest. This was all done as a show at night by 'higher monks' as a congratulations to the 'lower monks' for all their hard work. Then an old monk came on screen and there was a big build up to what he was going to do. He was going to demonstrate, they said, internal force.

I watched in skeptical anticipation, as to what he was going to do. He pulled out a rock, placed it on the edge of a brick, and started hitting it with the knife-edge of his hand. It didn't break apart immediately, and took a few chops to start breaking the stone. When it did break apart, the other monks went into uproar! Shouting and cheering and whooping like they were at a football game

I just thought, what do you think would happen if we walked in there with two bricks, and broke the bottom one? What would happen if we went in there and free sparred in front of them, or even had a friendly sparring match with them?

Based on the DVD, I'd say they simply have no idea what internal force is.

Warm regards
                              Alex
                              "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                              X