The Spoon Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YunXiang View Post
    The first weapon that popped into my mind was "Jaam Ma Dou (斬馬刀)" which translates into English as "Horse Chopper." The jaam ma dou is a knife/sabre with handle of roughly three foot in length. As the name suggests, it was used to chop the horse's legs of a mounted opponent. If I'm not mistaken, the techniques are similar to the Guan Dou. For the record, I have not officially learned this weapon but I have seen some sets of it and did play around with one at a former school.
    Dear Michael Sipak

Would this be the Jaam Ma Dou?
    (I can't read the Chinese text.)

Best regards
    Andrea
    Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
    Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Dear Andrea,

Originally posted by Andrea View Post
      Would this be the Jaam Ma Dou?
      I think that would be a variant of the Jaam Ma Dou. From my research, this weapon is also called "Sou Dou (掃刀)" in Cantonese or "Sweeping Knife" in English. To be honest, I am not familiar with this weapon.

The version I'm familiar with has a broader blade and a signature ring at the base of the handle. Here are a couple of examples below:

Thank you for posting the video. It led me to seeing a wide varieties of "Jaam Ma Dou."

Best wishes,
      Mike
      Last edited by YunXiang; 20 May 2017, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

I was thinking of a knife (dagger). A normal spoon would be perfect for stabbing and teasing. Looking on Youtube I found few dagger sets... not sure how relevant the dagger is to Chinese Martial Arts.
        I agree with you Sijatnui. For a normal spoon I personally think that a dagger would be the closest in similarity (unless, of course, there are other small weapons that I am not aware of...)

When I saw your set ... I was thinking of a walking cane as weapon... might give it a try next week.

Here a special walking cane set...

Looks amazing Sijatnui. Thanks for sharing. And a walking cane would be quite easy to get. It also reminds me to the umbrella.

Dear Andrea,

I think that would be a variant of the Jaam Ma Dou. From my research, this weapon is also called "Sou Dou (掃刀)" in Cantonese or "Sweeping Knife" in English. To be honest, I am not familiar with this weapon.

The version I'm familiar with has a broader blade and a signature ring at the base of the handle. Here are a couple of examples below:

Thank you for posting the video. It led me to seeing a wide varieties of "Jaam Ma Dou."

Best wishes,
        Mike
        Wow. Those weapons look really intimidating! Thanks for sharing the videos and your knowledge dear Siheng.

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Dear Andrea,

Mike
          Thank you for the explanation and the videos. Very interesting.

Best regards
          Andrea
          Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
          Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Working...
          X