For instructors - Question about difficulty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For instructors - Question about difficulty

I realise it may be difficult to answer this, not knowing me or my practice but it was so painful I will ask in hope.

This morning I was practising Carrying the Moon when suddenly at some point in the movement, I dont really know when it was either at the top most point or the bottom most point, my right lower back went into spasm. It felt like the point slightly to the right of the bottom of my spine, around that big bony area which I guess is the pelvis. It was so painful I fell to the floor, it felt like it went right through my body. As I crouched there the first thought was "Oh no it has come back again". My second thought was to "Smile the from the heart", which I managed to do and it seemed to ease off.

I didn't really know what to do so I waited a few minutes. Gingerly stood up and tired to very gently do a few more of the pattern. I did this and then went into Chi flow. It was very gentle and lots of the movement was around hips and pelvis gently rocking.

I have had this happen before I started Chi Kung but nothing really since. In the past I would tense up, although I didn't realise how much at the time, and might be immobile for a couple of days. This time I am up and gingerly walking around, even though it is quite tender.

My question is - Is this some kind of cleansing thing or does it show I am doing Carrying the Moon incorrectly. I know it is difficult to answer but I am looking for some possible pointers. Do you think it would be better to go with Lifting the Sky or Pushing mountains at the moment.

Some background - I have been doing a little more Dan Tien breathing sessions lately, maybe three times in the last two weeks.In the last week or so my palms have been getting very red after practice and every now and again during the day I have noiticed that the bottom of my feet have been getting very hot. Last night when they got hot the bottom of my legs and tops of my feet got incredibly itchy. I have been practicing for 11 months and managing twice a day for about 15-20 minutues each session.

Best wishes,

Barry
    Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
    Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
    Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
    UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
    sigpic

Hi there ,

During the Intensive Chi Kung Course this weekend , Sifu said that Carrying the Moon is very good for correcting back and spinal problems ( also Lifting The Sky ) . Although I am sure that Pushing Mountains can help with your back , I would say rather go with Lifting The Sky . Generally speaking , Pushing Mountains is for Opening up the chest and for developing Internal Force .

" I didn't really know what to do so I waited a few minutes "

When practising on my own , I have had situations where the pain was so bad I wanted to sit down ( although that didn't happen when being taught by Sifu in person ) . I asked Sifu what the right thing to do was ,and he said that if the pain is really unbearable ,then it is wise to stop for a few minutes till it eases . You can then continue when you feel up to it .

I will leave it to those with more experience than me to advise you as what to do, but I would say that the fact that you can walk afterwards ( instead of being immobile ) is surely a sign of progress ( although don't quote me on that ) .

Speaking of the itch . The night after the last session of the Chi Kung course , I felt itchy all over my body in bed and my tummy was just growling and rumbling . I gently thought of my dan tien and allowed the Chi to just slosh around in my tummy . Within minutes the itch was gone and I was fast asleep

I hope that I have helped rather than confused you further .
    All the best ,
    Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by barrys
      very gently do a few more of the pattern
      Hi Barry,

As noted, online advice is never black and white but you seem to have done OK with your own solution. Increasing Dan Tian Breathing after a year or so is good, taking your time with your practice is good, listening to your body is good, Smiling during awkward flows is good and the 'lazy' cleansing you are getting is good. (Lazy cleansing is a descriptive term, not a reflection of your practice by the way).

I would suggest that you practice Carrying The Moon still, but gently. Practice the other patterns more often, but don't stop Carrying The Moon. As you mentioned you are going to see Sifu soon (and Joan Sije), so you will be able to correct/corfirm your practice easily.

Have fun

Comment

This morning I was practising Carrying the Moon when suddenly at some point in the movement, I dont really know when it was either at the top most point or the bottom most point, my right lower back went into spasm.
        You're right that it's hard to give advice without knowing a person. Actually, your comment got me thinking. A picture is worth a thousand words! If people were able to post pictures of themselves practicing, I think it would help....

Back to the problem with your back.

My guess would be that you are overextending with the spinal arches in Carrying The Moon. Try it with *gentle* arching in both the forward and backward positions, with no tension anywhere. Remember to keep neck relaxed during the forward bend and the knees loose during the backward bend.
        Sifu Anthony Korahais
        www.FlowingZen.com
        (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Thank you

Antonius, Darryl and Kevin,

Thanks for the support and encouragement. I am having fun with my practice and it was a real shock to have that searing pain. However, I have dealt with it totally differently to how I used to. I went to work instead of laying in bed, and got on with doing some things instead of thinking "poor me". Tonight my back was free enough to do some hindu squats outside in the fresh air and I am getting pleasant tingles down my arms and legs. Happy days.

When I review my practice I think I have been overextending both forwards and backwards, and I can definitely be more gentle on the way I carry my neck and knees.

Yes, I am looking forward to meeting Sifu and others in Ireland and Nottingham.

Best wishes,

Barry
          Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
          Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
          Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
          UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X