Ups and Downs with Shaolin Chi Kung

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ups and Downs with Shaolin Chi Kung

I'm reproducing this from an old post of mine. I think the topic is worthy of its own thread, so I have converted it into an article.

Highs and Lows, Ups and Downs
    We all have ups and downs. We had them before we learned chi kung. We have them now that we practice chi kung. A common problem in Shaolin Wahnam is that we tend to compare our current ups to our current downs. The relative distance between the ups and downs may stay the same, so we mistakenly think that we aren't making much progress. This is where my picture comes in. Pictures are worth a thousand words. This picture is not perfect, but I hope it gets my point across. Please see below.

Figure 1 represents the average ups and downs of life before Shaolin Chi Kung. Everyone is different, and the range between high and low will vary. Of course, real life is also much messier than a picture, with erratic bumps and dips and plateaus at different times, but let's stick to averages. The point of Fig. 1 is that, despite all the various highs and lows, the overall level stays roughly the same. The horizontal lines should make this quite clear.

Figure 2 shows life after beginning Shaolin Chi Kung practice. Once again, I feel the need to emphasize that everyone is different, and that real life is much more erratic. In Fig. 2, the relative range between the highs and lows doesn't change much. Chi Kung doesn't gives us higher highs while leaving us with the same lows. Nor does it eliminate the lows. What it does is raise the overall level of both.

Maintaining Perspective
    If you look at Fig. 2, you can see that, without the horizontal lines, it can be difficult to see the progress, especially in the beginning. However, if you look carefully, you can see clear signs of progress. The high in the 3rd bump is slightly higher than the high in the 1st one. If you continue even further (i.e., continue practicing for a few years), the evidence is even clearer, but only if you look with perspective.

If you compare the high in the 8th bump to the one in the 6th bump, it will not seem like you are making much progress. This is where we need perspective. Instead of comparing your current state (the 8th bump) to the 6th bump, compare it to the 1st bump. Now we begin to see something remarkable. If you extend the line from your first high, you will see that it is slightly lower than your current low (the end of the final curve). This means that your current worst is better than your previous best. Now that is progress!

(Many thanks to my sihing, Dr. Lie, for teaching me this important lesson.)
    Sifu Anthony Korahais
    www.FlowingZen.com
    (Click here to learn more about me.)

Anthony Sihing.

Thank you for this important view, which brings a new perspective to us.
    And thanks to Sihing Dr. Lie as well.

Joko
    开心 好运气
    kai xin... .......hao yunqi... - Sifu's speech, April 2005
    open heart... good chi flow... good luck ...
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Have we not opened up thy heart ...? (The Reading, 94:1)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Be joyful, ..and share your joy with others -(Anand Krishna)

Comment

I really needed this right now! Thank you very much.

-Matt

Comment

Thank you Anthony sipak for sharing this with everyone. As a new practitioner of chi kung I certainy thought that there should just be a straight line going upward but what is advised above is certainy important to understand.

Kindest regards

Martin

Comment

-

Thank you Anthony Sihing for explaining this and sharing the graphic with us. Makes it so much clearer.

I had an interesting discussion with a friend last week where i out of the blue came to the following very similar conclusion.

When we climb the ladder of life and we take a step down we compare it to where we was before. It doesnt matter if we are at the start of the ladder, in the middle or at the top. A step back feels the same wherever we are.

I regard every step back as very important. Rather essential. Its an opportunity to evaluate and practice what we have been taught. And thats the only way we can take new steps on the ladder.

Changing perspective and look further down the ladder is very good and raises your spirit when you feel low.

/Niklas
          Last edited by 8nsteen8; 27 March 2007, 08:44 AM.

"If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven played music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well."/Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

steady steps forward...

Hi Anthony,

nice graphic and accompanying explanation.

I also vaguely remember another perspective on progress Sifu gave at dec 2004 in Malaysia, which went something like this [but probably in a far more concise form... ]

Let's suppose that I am practicing (authentic) chi kung consistently and making - in terms of distance travelled on the path - something like 50 steps a day on average.

When I first began practice, I quickly and noticably moved forward relative to my original position. After one day I've made 50 paces, after 2 days 100, after 20 days 1,000, and so on.

In those early days, I look over my shoulder and happily see the place I started from receed further into the distance...

I continue to practice regularly and make steady progress, and each day make on average another 50 steps forward. But after, say, three years I've already made some 54,750 steps. My starting point may already have been long lost from sight, and it may not be as easy to see that I'm still making wonderful forward progress...

Best wishes, Neil.

Comment

perceptions of progress in early phases

Some after-thoughts:

I think the average steps forward idea fits nicely with your steady upward trending graph...

Originally posted by Antonius View Post
              it can be difficult to see the progress, especially in the beginning. However, if you look carefully, you can see clear signs of progress.
              ...although the perceptions of initial progress might not exactly coincide

As you point out, every one is different, but I would hazard a generalisation and say that for people who have learnt directly from Sifu the initial experience is often a feeling of a huge jump forward, after which there follows a period of consolidation prior to a sense of going forwards once again...

And I'm sure that a number of students of the Shaolin Wahnam Instructors have also had this experience..

Best wishes, Neil.

Comment

perceptions in the later stages

And finally, some after-after-thoughts

The fact is, when Sifu discussed sometimes not seeing progress via his analogy of making steady forward progress relative to total distance travelled, I couldn't really relate to it

It's true that chi kung practice can plateau or even seemingly go backwards at times. But all the same, the highs - when they come - continue to be even more memorable. And the lows - well they can still be low, but there is usually something clearly different about them that allows me to learn and progress forward even more. Although sometimes not without a jolly good and occasionally protracted inner "fight"

The key - as has been said countless times on this forum to all who would listen - is consistent correct practice, otherwise that upward trending graph just doesn't keep going...

Best wishes, Neil.
                Last edited by Neil Kelson; 27 March 2007, 12:13 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Ups and Downs - My experience

Hi,

I just wanted to add one very important aspect, that I belive quite many new students face (at last this happened to me). When one receives direct tuition from Sifu Wong, it seems to escalate the level of training extremely much. Immediately. (In picture this time frame is 1). When a few days pass, the feelings one does get (and I also belive that the level and quality of training) drops for quite a while. From this point on it is a gradual progress that does not seem much from day to day (2), but as a total it is huge. The great point in this is that we receive the Art which we can use daily for gradual development.

For me the picture below presents very much my development. It is now over 6 months from the 2 day regional course and I'm not even close to the level of training that it was with Sifu Wong but even the lowest point I have been this far is very much higher than anything before.

Best Regards,
                  AriJ

Comment

Nice picture AriJ - yes this can often happen, where the strength of your practice experience seems to drop significantly sometime after learning from Sifu. This is a normal development for many people, and can last for varying lengths of time.

The main point to remember is to consistently keep up your correct daily practice, and your quality of practice will steadily raise, as your picture nicely shows.

At some point in the not-too-distant future, the nicely upwards trending line finally reaches and goes beyond the initial highs experienced when first learning from Sifu, with the added sense of personal achievement that you have stuck at it and enjoyed the benefit of your efforts

Best wishes, Neil.

Comment

I'd also like to thank Sihing Anthony for reminding us of these important points (and to Sihing Neil and AriJ as well). It's a topic that, despite being repeated often, is easy to lose sight of. Really, it's all a matter of perspective. After the initial boost in level when learning from Sifu (which can be quite dramatic) the slow and steady daily increase through practice can seem insignificant. Personally, I didn't have a problem with that (having heard it repeatedly from Sifu and various seniors). Where I lost my sense of perspective was after practicing for a year and a half or so. I got so used to how good I felt from practice that anything less than fantastic, four-star, top-of-the-world seemed awful! As my memories of just how I felt on a day-to-day basis before learning from Sifu began to fade, I became less and less objective about where I was at. If I felt the slightest bit tight or achy or lethargic or grumpy, I felt I was failing somehow. The first time I got a mild headache was just shocking. How absurd! It took serious thought about how things were before to get over that. For instance, I used to commonly fall asleep in an odd position and wake up with a sore neck and/or back that would last for days. Now it rarely happens, and when it does I usually wake up, practice and feel better. Maintaining an objective view allows me to appreciate just what I have gained from my practice. As Anthony said:
                      Originally posted by Antonius View Post
                      This means that your current worst is better than your previous best. Now that is progress!
                      That is progress. I need to remember that practicing Shaolin kungfu and qigong doesn't make one superhuman. I do, however, hope that through practice I may make myself into a super human. I think I'm heading in the right direction.

My best to all,
                      Josh

Comment

Greetings all,

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I found it very interesting and a lot of the points are relevant to my own training.

Niel Taisipak wrote:
                        As you point out, every one is different, but I would hazard a generalisation and say that for people who have learnt directly from Sifu the initial experience is often a feeling of a huge jump forward, after which there follows a period of consolidation prior to a sense of going forwards once again...
                        I have not yet had the blessing of learning directly from Sitaigong, but when in these 2½ months after learning from Sifu (Adam Kryder) I felt alsmost like I could walk on water. Almost every qiflow was a mindblowing experience and I was amazed. My body was changing and my mood as well and I felt absolutely great.

Though since the last weekend I feel like I kinda lost my "buzz". I started over worrying and over-intellectualizing about it, which of course started to affect my practice so it got harder to relax, smile from the heart and let go. It got harder to motivate myself to go through my qigong and gongfu practice as well, but I still did the minimum that I should.

Thankfully Sifu had taught me to take responsibility for my practice and through this thread http://www.wongkiewkit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8055 I know in the end I have the choice to make. So I did make a choice that I was going to enjoy my practice and not let myself get distracted and I ended up having a very good session.

Though my sessions lately still isn't giving me the same "buzz" as earlier I know through this wonderful forum and my Wahnam brothers and sisters that even though its harder to see where I started out from, I am in fact still making progress and hearing all of your stories is the greatest motivation a student can get to carry on and smile from the heart.

Tomorrow my mother is coming to Shanghai (her first ever visit to China) and I will be going there to pick her up, show her Shanghai before we return here to Hangzhou. Though it might mean missing a few days of practice I am really looking forward to seeing my mother again and showing her around this lovely country and showing her all the benefits that Shaolin Wahnam qigong and gongfu has given me and be a loving son.

With the greatest respect and gratitude,

Casper
                        “Greatness lies not in never falling, but in rising after every fall"

Comment

Working...
                        X