No announcement yet.

Why doesn't everyone do Chi Kung?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all please forgive me for my ignorance. I have not experienced any Wahnam classes and my comments are not a reflection on the teachings or lessons. However the guidance I have been given here has been excellent. The question related to

"If (Shaolin Cosmos) Chi Kung is so great, why doesn't everyone already do it?"

It maybe suffering from being tarred by the same brush from bad and poor experiences from poor teachers in other systems (Yang, Chen).

It is interesting that the financial stick has been used as a major excuse. From my experience this excuse has been made by people that do not want to practice. Rather than admit that it's; too tough / complex / just not for them - for them they say its too expensive.

However, I think that there is a real fear of the unknown. For example I took a friend and his wife to a demonstration by Master Chu about 23 years ago. what he witnessed went against everything he had been taught and accepted (as a 'good' Roman Catholic). "I can't believe my own eyes. This is the closest thing to black magic I've ever witnessed". It scared both him and his wife, so much so that he pleaded with me not to return to the classes.

Also when practicing, the lack of information / guidance can become very distressing. The 'falling into the endless chasm', 'demons dragging you down','spontaneous emotional venting'. A few experiences like this could do much harm the system by a student who lapses and then the spread of bad experiences through gossip.
    Perhapse the teacher has never experienced for themself, or discussed the movement of states of awarness and how it manifests itself differently between students. So they, the teacher is not aware that it is an issue. Or if they are aware, have chosen not to intervene.

I was one of these people who had experiences that were never explained, nor guidance given, apart from 'continue to practice', for me it just got worse. It was my own path to tread, in isolation and it has been a very interesting time.
    Last edited by cityvision; 19 November 2004, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Dear Cityvision;
      This is the closest thing to black magic I've ever witnessed". It scared both him and his wife
      To that I got also quite a sad story: 4 years ago my mother passed away. This time I was in a relationship with a girl who was extremely Christian, evangelicaly influenced. Her parents were fundamental Christians. This time I was looking for help, divine help. They tried to convert me to their religion. I had a lot of questions, mostly I was asking about where my mother would go back to. They always told me that if she had believed in Jesus Christ she had gone to heaven, otherwise......They didn't dare to say it but it was too obvious: hell. The only way is Jesus, nobody will enter anything else than Hell without him....
      I had a lot of physikalproblems too, also cause of my sportcarrier and finally I found Sifu, because of the Generousity of Andrew Sihing to organise a course in Switzerland! My Exgirlfriend was upset: she said that I would have made a deal with Satan in person. Everything exept Jesus would be a wolf in Lamb. I should pray for my sins and pray for forgiveness. I was shocked and some time later we quit our relationship. And now all the family is praying for me that I won't go to Hell.
      In Switzerland we have many of ultra-religious people who rape other minds, who warn searching people with Hell and other weird stuff....May they all be blessed, as they don't know what they do...

It is interesting that the financial stick has been used as a major excuse
      I have made the experinece that money isn't the reason for.

the majority of people have never heard of chi kung
      All my patients have heard from Chi Kung. Either They have already tried, or they know people who took courses. But 99% of them know physikal-exercise Chi Kung to get relaxed and mmmmhhh relaxed

of those who have heard of the many benefits it offers many just dont believe for whatever reason
      Yep, fully agree: they didn't benefit or know people who didn't benefit and then all Chi Kung is bad...But there are some exeptions and they say: Wow that's Chi Kung? I thought that would be more esotericly

- of those who have heard of it many think it is only a relaxing exercise for old or sick people who cannot do anything else
      Very good point! "Ahhh, Taijichuan is a martialart... Most people think it's just a health exercise. But I thought Chi Kung is for elder people..."

feel they are not improving and stop
      Agree, most people have no endurance. And sometimes they expect wonders, they wouldn't expect from Physiotherapy, Chiropractic, Manulatherapy and other therapies, but yes from Chi Kung and other alternative methods.

Anyway, I believe what Sifu and I guess other Masters said: If the student is ready the Master will appear!

Respectfully

Roland
      "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
      Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Once I was having a discusion about the benefits of practicing chi kung
        with some friends that have never really heard much about it at all,
        but after sharing some of the benefits I had experienced,one of my friends said
        "why doesnt everyone do chi kung",I replied that the world would probably be a better place.But alot of people really are'nt ready for chi kung.This isnt derogatory(dont know if its spelt right)but many people I know have much more reason to practice than I,yet thy would not even realise their problems at all
        or think that their problems are too big fof chi kung to be of any use
        best wishes jez
        ".....Irrespective of race culture and religion." Sifu.

Love to All.

Comment

too much, too quick

One of the most difficult lessons I am learning when teaching chi-kung (not Shaolin Cosmos Chi-Kung--I'm just a beginning student in that system) is not to overwhelm the new student. When I talk to someone about chi-kung and discuss the health benefits, people often show an interest to know what this is. I feel that all the talk in the world is insufficient to let someone know about chi-kung if they never had any experience of the internal arts or some outward manifestation of chi. I always think of Sifu's analogy with the mango: if you never tasted a mango, describing it in words will not really convey the experience. I got the notion that emitting someone chi so they can feel the sensation in their hands and arms would be a good way to show something about chi-kung, but about half the time it seems to backfire. Some people really like the experience and want to learn the chi-kung, and for some people the experience is too strange and perhaps frightening at some level, and it turns them off. I hope I'm not just showing off by sending them chi. I suppose what is missing for those people who become frightened is my setting up the right environment for such a totally new experience.

As for reasons why not everyone practices chi-kung, like some of the earlier posts, people have told me that practicing chi-kung is selling my soul to the devil. Although chi-kung is hypothetically beneficial for anyone, not everyone is ready for chi-kung. Luckily, there are other methods that may appeal to them.

Michael
          Take kindness and benevolence as basis.
          Take frankness and friendliness to heart.

Comment

neikung

Qigong is difficult because it requires self cultivation.

Self cultivation is bettering self by taking on the aspects of one who seeks to help others. Decency, kindness, helpful are parts of this equation but in present society people choose to do the opposite so there goes the self cultivation. It is not the only part but this makes ones practice more powerful.

The names before qigong (neikung, neiyanggong, and so on) implied that one cultivate the self with virtuous acts and since that is now lost, all people know is doing a movment or set of movements and that is all.

Comment

Dear Michael, Dear yeniseri,
              I have enjoyed reading your comments and opinions a lot!

Many thanks for sharing

Enjoy yourself

Respectfully

Roland
              "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
              Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

I was once talking with our Wahnam instructor in Portugal, Riccardo. He told me that he did Chinese acupuncture and got great results with his patients. My initial reaction was why don't you just teach them Chi Kung. But before I could ask him this I answered my own question. The reason is acupunture is perfect for people that don't want to put forth any effort in solving their problem. It doesn't necessarily mean they are lazy. Most people choose to do what is seems most logical, effective and efficient to them (from their perspective or understanding). If one can simply take a pill and solve a problem, or pay a lawyer to do something in a couple of hours vs. spending 20-40 hours doing it themselves this is what people typically will choose. Some people are not and would not be interested in all of the fantastic results of practicing an elite form of Chi Kung like Shaolin Wahnam Chi Kung. However, this is my challenge to myself-to inspire prospective students to want the benefits of the easy and joyful practice of Shaolin Wahnam Chi Kung.
                Anthony S

Western USA

http://elitechikung.com/

Visit Anthony Spinicchia’s web site with information on qigong healing.

His book, The Wonders of Chi Kung:Unlocking Glowing Health and Vitality, 3rd Edition, can be found by clicking here

The e-book edition can be found at www.amazon.com kindle store

Comment

win-win

Hello Everybody,

Anthony has crystallized some of the reasons that I am studying Chinese Medicine. I like the idea of being able to offer people a choice or combination of treatment/instruction depending on their specific needs, circumstances and aspirations. In this respect, I feel very lucky to have mentors like Kai, Riccardo Salvatore and Daniel from Belgium.

That said I also have a great deal of respect for my brother and sister instructors who are concentrating on teaching Qigong and Taijiquan/Shaolinquan.

Best regards,
                  Jeffrey Segal

Comment

Will there be Wahnam clinics that would offer Chinese medical treatment as well as qigong instruction? It seems like there are so many instructors who are on the path to medical practice, it'd make sense.

Comment

Why Not?

[QUOTE=Antonius]Chi Kung is not for everyone. QUOTE]

Dear Sifu Korahais,

I incline to disagree with you that Chi Kung is not for everyone. Wong Sifu is willing to teach anyone except those who are suffering from AIDS. Correct me if I am wrong.

Best Regards,
                      Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Frank Loo
                        I incline to disagree with you that Chi Kung is not for everyone. Wong Sifu is willing to teach anyone except those who are suffering from AIDS. Correct me if I am wrong.
                        Not everyone will want to put in the effort required. Even 15 mins twice a day would be too much for some people, in terms of dedication required. Swallowing a pill, or paying an acupuncturist etc. is easier and may well be more effective for these people.
                        George / Юра
                        Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Hi George,

Well said. I agree.

Best Regards,
                          Frank

Comment

Dear Dr. Loo,

Indeed Sifu is willing to teach anyone who is willing to accept the Ten Shaolin Laws and come to a course. Many people are unwilling to do this. In this situation, Chi Kung, (at least our Chi Kung) is not for them. Sifu has also made it very clear that people with bad karma may simply be unable to benefit from Chi Kung. Their karma may be so bad that they would even scoff at the mention of it. How could such a person receive the teachings?
                            Last edited by Charles David; 26 December 2005, 12:25 PM.
                            Charles David Chalmers
                            Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Dear Charles,

I agree.

Best Regards,
                              Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X