For Those Who Seek Shaolin Kungfu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Those Who Seek Shaolin Kungfu

A question was asked on Quora recently which I chose to answer. "How long does it take to master Shaolin Kungfu?"

I wrote this reply in response. Granted I do not consider myself a master, but this information is well known to us in Shaolin Wahnam.

There is a saying in Kung fu: “Three years Small Success, Ten Years Big Success.” This roughly means that if training is successful one will be adept after a few years, and at the beginning of mastering the art after a decade. However the journey will always have greater depth as we progress in our lives.

A few of the many markers for “Small success” are being adept at the skills of timing and spacing, forceful, flowing, and accurate striking, kicking, throwing, and gripping. A high level of flexibility, agility, and rooted footwork, quick decision making, adaptability, and correct judgement will have been attained. The ability to comprehend and practically apply the fundamental skills, principles, tactics, strategies, and concepts of combat are also prerequisite. After three years of correct and consistent training one might find themselves able to break bricks with ease, which can only be transferred to real combat if an adept level in the aforementioned combat skills such as timing and spacing are reached and maintained. Some other markers of small success in the internal aspect of the art is much improved health, an ability to better manage external and internal stressors, and have at the very least begun healing from chronic injuries and ailments if any exist. The experience of life becomes joyful every day via the meditation practices of Shaolin Chan/Zen cultivation. Every aspect of training brings wonderful benefits that should carry over to enhance daily life.

Some of the markers for “big success” are understanding in depth the road map of Kungfu which entails an ability to decipher and apply many previously incomprehensible principles and techniques of the arts from years of experience. There should be minimal mistakes in body mechanics, form, internal skill, and application of the fundamental, intermediate, and advanced aspects of combat and internal training. The level of martial ability should be tremendous, and if trained correctly and persistently in the methodologies of combat one will be able to apply the arts to defeat normal assailants easily as soon as or before they make a move, baffling them with marvelous skill and force. One would go from simply breaking a brick as a test of power to being able to accurately direct that power to break a bottom brick while leaving the top unharmed in an expression of “Strike a Buffalo Through the Mountain.” Most importantly a balanced state of radiant health and vitality, mentally and physically will be achieved.

First you must decide whether you are going to attempt to learn modern Wushu such as that found at or around the reconstructed Shaolin Temple today, or if you are going to seek out the genuine traditional Shaolin Kungfu. If you choose the Wushu you will likely master the beautiful acrobatic forms given enough time and will be able to give marvelous performances until you are no longer able to move as you once could. If you choose the traditional route you will eventually master combat skills, application, and internal training for strength, vitality, and spiritual cultivation which will get better and better as you age like fine wine in the excellent art of Shaolin Kung fu
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Great summary, David. Helps me remember why I chose the route I chose
    Sifu Andrew Barnett
    Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
    Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
    Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Thank your dear Sijat for your wonderful post.

I found that Quora website got really big in the last 2 years and it shows very often in first positions in Google Search Results.

I am sure that your answer in Quora will benefit many. :-)

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

If you're looking for a Shaolin kung fu schools in China that teaches traditional Chinese martial arts and embraces Chinese culture. Taizu Shaolin Kung Fu school china is the best choice. Train to improve your skills and be closer to nature. Improve your kung fu techniques. Learn Tai Chi and kung Fu in China! China is the most popular destination of martial arts enthusiasts.

Taizu Shaolin Kungfu School china, located in Handan City ( China ancient capital,Birthplace of Taichi,Cultural city ,Martial arts village ). The school is an institute for the teaching and promotion of traditional Shaolin Kung Fu and Chinese Martial Arts in China.

EDIT: No advertising!
        Last edited by Andrew; 12 April 2019, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shi yanhao View Post
          If you're looking for a Shaolin kung fu schools in China that teaches traditional Chinese martial arts and embraces Chinese culture.
          If you're looking for a traditional Shaolin Kung Fu school in China, you may as well stop looking. They ceased to exist (or did they ever exist?) decades ago.

Sifu Andrew Barnett
          Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
          Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
          Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Originally posted by shi yanhao View Post

If you're looking for a Shaolin kung fu schools in China that teaches traditional Chinese martial arts and embraces Chinese culture.
            Not even Chinese culture, after Cultural Revolution. Instead real Chinese culture has spread worldwide. Sorry that I sound political.

Jason Yap

修身

Comment

Dear all,

I looked up the name Shin Yao and (if the Shin Yao on the forum here is the same person) he claims to be a 34th successor of Shaolin. Shocking then that he does not even know how to behave. Walking in someone else’s Kwoon and advertising his own Kung Fu school is incredibly rude. One more reason I don’t believe they teach real Shaolin.

Best wishes,

Roeland Dijkems
              www.shaolinwahnam.nl
              www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Working...
              X