X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Originally posted by Matt F. View Post

Dear Sihing,

6 Harmonies can certainly (most definitely should) be trained when practicing traditional sets. But, again, I would argue that 6 Harmonies is an important aspect of kungfu, and not a specific benefit of the traditional set.

If I were to set up a training program with a specific focus on training and improving the 6 Harmonies, it would look something like this:
    1) single pattern, held statically at end point
    2) single pattern, held statically at various points throughout pattern
    3) single pattern, full movement, from poise position
    4) single pattern, full movement, from casual standing position
    5) single pattern, full movement, from random moving/walking
    6) repeat steps 1-5 with a minimum of 8 patterns (1 each offensive/defensive for 4 levels of attack)
    7) repeat steps 3-5 with small sequence of two patterns
    8) repeat steps 3-5 with small sequence of 3-5 patterns
    9) repeat steps 3-5 with small grouping (2-3 sequences) of small sequences (3-5 patterns)
    10) repeat steps 3-5 with random selection of single pattern and/or small sequence
    11) repeat steps 1-10 using non-picture perfect situations/applications (i.e. opponent is not exactly your same size, slightly to one side or the other, target changes mid-pattern, etc)
    12) free flow of patterns and sequences

Maintaining the 6 Harmonies is not too difficult when performing a well-practiced pattern or sequence. It is during the unstructured, non-practiced times that the 6 Harmonies most commonly falls apart. That could be during transition from one pattern to the next, starting from an awkward or surprised position, when your opponent does something unexpected, etc. The above listed training program starts with total control of the environment (stillness in a very specific position) and gradually adds layers of complexity, confusion, and chaos.

Training the 6 Harmonies using a traditional set would likely fall in around step 9 in this program.

-Matt
    Thank you dear Sidai for your wonderful explanation. Kindly appreciated. :-)

Your answer raised in my mind another question:

How important are the 6 harmonies in a combat situation?

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Originally posted by sancrica View Post
      Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Thank you dear Sidai for your wonderful explanation. Kindly appreciated. :-)

Your answer raised in my mind another question:

How important are the 6 harmonies in a combat situation?

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi
      Great question! I'll start a new thread!

-Matt

Comment

I had conversations with some people lately, typical among friends and acquaintances of mine, along the lines of "Why do you 'bother' practising lungful / chi kung / or whatever it is you call that stuff". It has been a long time since I would ever have tried to convince anyone to practise internal arts. And I didn't make an exception for these people. I just said "If you could get the feelings I get from training, both during and after the practise, you'd practise too." "Can't you explain what these feelings are?" "No. Perhaps some people can but I can't. I only understand them myself because I feel them, but I couldn't describe them to someone who hasn't felt them." I'm among those who know here of course, who know the subtle and not so subtle feelings derived from internal force and flowing chi, i.e. all or a big majority of students must feel this.

But I would give a similar to answer as to why I value practising sets. In my head I may value them for learning and remembering patterns. But the main reason I jump into set practise every day, is because of the amazing feelings I get when practising the sets. Personally, I can get good feelings from practising individual combat sequences, or chi kung patterns, or stances - but for me the feelings are better and stronger when practising the sets. I include things like One Finger Zen and Siu Lim Tao as "sets" for this purpose. This isn't to boast - perhaps I am supposed to get better feelings when practising chi kung patterns etc, but for me the best feelings come from practising sets, comparable to chi flow itself.

But for my other answer I would state simply again that Sifu teaches us to practise sets, therefore set practise must be good! I read a thread about arts he is teaching at next years UK summer camp for example. I'll wager there will be set practise involved! There will be chi flow, stances, combat sequences etc as well, all are obviously useful and enjoyable. But Sifu will be teaching sets there too! Convince me that last sentence is wrong!

Comment

Working...
        X