The Way of the Master

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LeeWeiJoo View Post
    Sifu's humility and courage are inspiring.
    Indeed!
    Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
    Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
    Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
    - ancient wisdom

Comment

• Hi brothers and sisters,

Distant chi transmission was not welcome and even rejected by other kungfu schools, and Sifu and his team being accused by a lot of other instructors from other schools. The situation become worsen when some people in Shaolin Wahnam Association also betrayed Sifu. Following was the event where Sifu resigned from Shaolin Wahnam Association and an interesting conversation between Sigung Ho and Sifu.

Resignation from Shaolin Wahnam Association

Around this time, I resigned as the grandmaster from Shaolin Wahnam Association – an event that caused me much pain. The pain was more when it came from those I had selflessly dedicated myself to, at a time when others not so close but still knew me enough to regard me as a hero if not a god, started deserting me.

It was a very painful period of my life. Indeed, I asked myself what had I done wrong. I had been truthful to myself, truthful to my students, truthful to all I knew, and also to those I might not even know, and I had lived my life according to the highest teachings of the Shaolin arts, conducting myself with righteousness and moral dignity. Yet, now many people in town pointed an ominous finger at me, though behind my back, exclaiming what a bad guy I was that even some of my most senior students were leaving me, what a big fool I was trying hopelessly to scavenge back some reputation by claiming distant chi transmission was real.

But I trusted the Divine. I firmly believed that goodness would always result in goodness, and I had no doubt that all that I did was guided by the principle of doing good.

I had the undivided support and love of my wife and children, as well as many of my loyal students. Indeed, I once said to my wife that even if all my other students left me, I would consider myself having lived my life well by having a few loyal students who would always stand by me.

Shaolin Wahnam Association was different from Shaolin Wahnam Institute. The former was formed according to society rules, and run by an elected executive committee, whereas the latter was formed according to company rules, and run by me as sole proprietor ownership.

By this time, Lee Kuan Lim had resigned as Chairman of Shaolin Wahnam Association for personal reasons, and the position was held by Tan Chang Cheng, another community leader in Sungai Petani.

It was a tradition in Shaolin Wahnam Association, as well as in any associations with kungfu as their main activities, that the grandmaster chose his team of instructors. As I felt my senior student who worked with the chi kung master who rented his house as a clinic had betrayed me, I did not list this senior student as one of my team of instructors. However, during an executive committee meeting, the Chairman nominated him as an instructor of the association, and the nomination was seconded by the Honorary Secretary.

I objected to the appointment. The Chairman, who had much experience in conducting meetings, looked around quickly and while other committee members were still in a daze about this unexpected development, the Chairman concluded that as there was no seconder for my objection, his nomination was valid.

As a matter of principles, I resigned as the grandmaster of the association. But in order that my resignation would not affect the smooth teaching of kungfu and lion dance in the association, I continued to teach there until the association could find some suitable persons to replace me. However, I heard rumours that despite my resignation, I still clung onto the post. To avoid my goodwill be mistaken as selfishness, I stopped going to the association immediately.

Later, there were complaints that the senior student who took over my post did not attend to teach regularly. A delegation came to my house to request me to return to teach in the association, but I declined. Soon, activities came to a standstill, and the association existed only in name for a few years. Eventually, a few remaining members deregistered the association. It was a great pity that once Shaolin Wahnam Association was the best known in the region, but eventually ceased to exist. My loyal students stayed with me.

My Sifu’s Wise Advice

On the other hand, my students and I planned not only to accept but to expand a challenge from another famous Shaolin school. The challenge was implied rather than overtly issued. We would propose a three-tier match with no referees and no rules, like what was done in the “lei-tai” (雷台), or fighting platform, in the past where combatants would fight to death or until one conceded defeat.

At the first tier, three students of Shaolin Wahnam Institute would fight three students of the other Shaolin school. In the second tier, three instructors from each side would fight. In the third tier, I would fight the grandmaster of the other school. We also wanted public verification that all combatants were from the respective schools, and not hired from outside. In our moment of fancy, we thought this would be the match of the century.

We made preparation in secret. But my sifu, Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, somehow knew about it, possibly through this cosmic wisdom. He flew in immediately to ask me to stop.

“We are confident of winning, sifu,” I said. “We have at least 60%”.

“It is precisely because you are going to win that you must stop!”

I was surprised. “Why, sifu?”

“If we lose, that is the end of the matter. But if we win, and I know you will win, the feud will never end!”

“But, sifu, they insulted us. They say our bricks are fake, our arts are fake, and our chi kung not real.”

“Is what they say true?” My sifu asked.

“Of course what they say is not true.”

“That’s important. If what they say is true, we have to correct ourselves. If what they say is not true, why should you waste time over unfounded accusations?”

There was much wisdom in it, I thought. As I let the wisdom sink in, my sifu continued.

“Don’t waste your time creating enemies. Spend your time teaching deserving students, and save people irrespective of race, culture and religion.”

My sifu’s wisdom dawned on me. His words had a direct bearing on the future development of Shaolin Wahnam Institute.

Obviously, Sigung Ho's advice had make huge changes in Sifu's mind. Or else, Sifu and his loyal students would eventually took up the challenge and the history of Shaolin Wahnam Institute will be changed. Indeed it was a very important conversation for Sifu.

*Attached a picture showing one of many newspapers reporting a melee during a public discussion on distant chi transmission.

With shaolin salute,
      Chun Yian
      Attached Files

Comment

Many people in Shaolin Wahnam are keen to know how Sifu progressed in combat efficiency. There are many descriptions in the autobiography of Sifu sparring with other masters. The following three are excellent representations.

The first represents the situation when Sifu first started kungfu. It also represents the situation of most kungfu practitioners today regardless of how long they have trained.

The second represents the situation after Sifu had worked hard on combat application on his own after learning from Uncle Righteousness, and when Sifu sought sparring partners to improve his combat efficiency.

The third represents the situation after Sifu had learned from Sigung Ho Fatt nam, when Sifu could defeat other masters readily.

1 From Chapter 6

My own awakening was very painful. The first inkling of my helplessness in real fighting occurred quite early. I was in Form One in Penang Free School. One day, for a trifle reason which I cannot remember now, I had a fight with my classmate, Ch'ng Lim Chee. We arranged to fight after school in a rambutan plantation nearby (the plantation has now been converted into a housing area). Many school boys eager to join in the fun accompanied and cheered us.

Although I was only thirteen years old, I had been practicing kungfu, or what I thought was kungfu, for three years. So my schoolmates expected me to give Ch'ng Lim Chee a thrashing. Some even said it was unfair and ungallantly of me to fight Lim Chee.

Lim Chee and I stood in the centre of a circle formed by high-spirited schoolboys, clapping and urging us to start the fight. "Come on," I called confidently. "Come on! Attack me!" I fancied that I would ward off every of my opponent's attacks with some graceful, stylistic moves, before finally demolishing him with one characteristic kungfu stroke, typical of what we normally see in a kungfu movie.

Although Lim Chee was small-sized like me, his courage was not little. He charged at me like a bull, and all of a sudden I could only see flying fists and dancing stars as his punches landed on me. All my kungfu knowledge vanished at that moment. I could not even use any kungfu stances or techniques that I had so arduously learnt. All I could do was swinging my fists wildly, typical of children fighting. There was no art, no system, no patterns. These artless, wild movements, nevertheless, had some effect, for Lim Chee, being hit by some of my aimless blows hurriedly re­treated a few steps and fell backward onto the uneven ground.

It was luck, not art, that enabled me to cause Lim Chee's fall. But I did not exploit my lucky position and charged at him while he was picking himself up from the ground. Trying to imitate the gallantry of classi­cal kungfu heroes who would not attack opponents while the latter were in disadvantageous circumstances, I called out, "Get up, and when you're ready, we'll resume our fight."

I can recall overhearing one of my classmates, Wai Mun, say, "Wah! In a fight, he even gives chance to his opponent to get up." Encouraged by Wai Mun's praise (or sneer?), and trying to further imitate past kungfu heroes, I posed a few kungfu stances while Lim Chee took his time to steady himself. These stances obvious­ly did not scarce my opponent a bit. In a flash he rushed at me again, and before I realized what had happened, Lim Chee, I, my kungfu stances and all were thrown into the air, and we were rolling and struggling on the ground, pulling and kicking at each other frantically, amidst the din and laughter of our excited onlookers.

A few minutes later, when Lim Chee and I were quite exhausted from our typical children's brawl, and after our onlookers had had enough fun from our free entertaining show, some classmates separated us and ended the fight. Lim Chee and I gallantly shook hands and we remained good friends. But what was most unforgettable was Wai Mun's parting words: "How disappointing! I thought I could see some stylish kungfu actions, but he fought like any one of us. Now I know his kungfu is useless for fighting."

2 From Chapter 9

While teaching in Dungun, I was very active in table tennis, training various teams of the school to be champions of the state. Once I was playing table tennis with a colleague when the topic of martial art came up. As a kungfu lover, I talked highly of kungfu with the other teachers listening in awe. Another teacher, named Chew, who practiced Taekwondo was probably annoyed with my glowing accounts of kungfu, and suggested to have some free sparring with me. Of course, I was actually quite happy with an unexpected opportunity to spar with a martial artist of another style.

Everyone stopped their table tennis and watched us spar. Chew adopted his Taekwondo stance. I gave a false move, covered his hands and executed a series of Tiger-Claws which rendered Chew quite helpless. I was quite smart. I knew Taekwondo exponents were good at kicks but not good in their hands. As soon as I closed in, I kept close so that Chew had no chance to kick.

At that time I did not pay particular attention to the principle nor have the skills yet of covering an opponent adequately, but my application of Double Tiger Claws from my Tiger-Crane Set was efficient, giving my opponent no time to counter. He merely tried to ward of my various Tiger-Claws. Moreover, I was too close for him to execute his kicks. But even at that time my control was excellent, I did not hit him, merely circling my Tiger-Claws a few inches over his face and body.

Having achieved my purpose, I retreated. “Actually, it was quite unfair,” I said, “I didn’t give you any chance to use your kicks. Let’s try again.”

This time I stayed at my kungfu poise and waited for Chew to attack. I cannot remember what pattern I used for my poise, but most probably it was “Single Tiger Emerges from Cave”, which was a popular poise pattern in Uncle Righteousness’ school.

Chew moved in with a thrust kick, followed by a round-house kick, and a reverse round-house. I tried to block the kicks with my Tiger-Claws, retreating at the same time. My defence techniques and tactics were bad. But at that time I did not know of good techniques and tactics against kicks. I also did not know the difference between techniques and tactics. I only used whatever patterns from the kungfu sets that I had practiced which I thought could be effective for the immediate occasions. I did not practise suitable counters beforehand and applied them when the situations arose.

It was later after learning from Sifu Ho Fatt Nam that I developed and practiced excellent techniques and tactics against kicks. I was so efficient that I could catch an opponent’s leg as soon as he executed a side kick or a thrust kick, dodge and immediately move in with a leopard fist if he used a sweeping or round-house kick, and strike him at his back if he used a reverse round-house. Shaolin Wahnam students today are very lucky. They learn all these excellent techniques and tactics, and more, right at the start of their combat application training.

Yet, my progress from using bad techniques and tactics against kicks to excellent techniques and tactics that I could defeat an opponent as soon as he kicked, was not bad. It took me about five years. Many kungfu practitioners, including some masters, might not know what to do when opponents kick them even when these practitioners may have practiced for twenty years!

Using Tiger-Claws to block kicks is using bad techniques. Retreating when an opponent kicks is using bad tactics. We shall address the topic of using good techniques and tactics against kicks in later chapters.

Luckily Chew was not good with his kicks. In fact he was quite slow and clumsy. Had he been fast and powerful, he could have easily defeated me with my poor defence techniques and tactics. I did not enquire about his Taekwondo ranking, but most probably he had not reached black belt level.

After his reverse round-house kick, Chew was unstable and apparently lost his orientation. I grasped this opportunity to move in and, like before, waved my Double Tiger-Claws a few inches away from his face and body. Chew was helpless.

3 From Chapter 25

Although I had not systematized my combat sequences then, I had some opportunities to apply my Shaolin Kungfu with some masters. A neighbour who was Chinese and lived a few houses from me in Teluk Wanjar, a residential area in Alor Star, was a master of Silambam, an Indian martial art. Knowing that I practiced Shaolin Kungfu he invited me to his house to have tea. He demonstrated and explained some combat applications of his martial art to me.

Perhaps finding that I did not exclaim as much amazement at his demonstration as he wanted me to, he asked me to grip his right wrist. Innocently I held his right wrist as requested. Immediately he moved a small step forward, guarded his grip with his left hand, bent his right arm and struck me hard with his right elbow, in the same way as a Shaolin pattern called “Dark Crow Flaps Wings”. Instinctively I moved a small step backward to avoid his elbow strike, which just brushed away at my chest, and responded with “Yellow Oriole Drinks Water”.

It was not a specific technique I had trained beforehand. It was spontaneous and impromptu, and it was perfect. But what I remember most was a loud bang caused by my retreating leg kicking a metal bucket away.

The Indian martial art master was surprised, not at the loud bang and not at my avoiding his unexpected, fast attack, but surprised that my right dragon-hand form was just an inch from his right eye. He probably sensed something worse. He looked down and was even more surprised to find my right foot just an inch from his sexual organ. Had I not controlled my kick, I would have smashed that part of bis body he must have valued highly, or at least caused him excruciating pain. Of course, you don’t do that to a neigbour whom you are likely to meet again everyday, recalling my sifu, Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, when a Japanese master tried to throw him, telling me that you wouldn’t elbow a guest who came to see you.

But I was quite annoyed. I came as an invited guest. He asked me to grip his wrist, but without warning and without any control he smashed his elbow at me. He probably did not know I had trained Golden Bell, an advanced art that could take punches and kicks without sustaining injuries, but had his elbow strike hit an ordinary person it could have broken a rib or caused other serious damage.

Nevertheless I was still courteous, and he invited me to visit his martial art school.

When I arrived at this martial art school at an appointed time a few days later I was surprised not to find his students training but a Karate grandmaster having tea with him. This grandmaster was from a famous Karate style, and he was expanding his style into Kedah at that time.

The Karate grandmaster might have studied Zen, or even better he practiced it. After some social pleasantries, he asked me if I would like a free sparring session with him.

“Sure,” I answered promptly in a Zen-like manner.

The grandmaster adopted a characteristic Karate poise while I stood at “Single Tiger Emerges from Cave.”

With a typical Karate shout, he rushed in with multiple punches. His punches were powerful and fast, so instead of warding them off, I just retreated, but covering his punches with my circular hands using a pattern called “Kitten Washes Face.”

This might have given him a false impression that I was like a kitten running away. He pressed in forcefully with more punches. When it was least expected, instead of retreating as he might have expected, I squatted down on one leg, floated his punches with my left hand, and thrust a cup fist at his dan tian, or abdominal energy field, using a Shaolin pattern called “Tame Tiger while Crouching on Ground.” My control was excellent. I stopped just an inch from his dan tian.

The Karate grandmaster was caught by surprise. He froze for about two seconds, not knowing what to do. Then, realizing the situation, be bounced back, and sweeping my fist away he bounced forward again with a right punch to my head.

I rose from my squatting position, turned right about, and in a side-way Horse-Riding Stance swung my back fist at his face, using a pattern called “Single Hitting Bell Sounds”. This time my control was not as good. I hit him on his jaw, but I pulled back in time not to cause any injury.

He retreated, and though he did not concede defeat, which was unnecessary, it was very clear who the victor was.

Later at night I retold the story to my wife.

“The neigbour wanted to test your kungfu,” she said coyly.

I was actually impressed with my wife’s perception. I was naive, it never occurred to me earlier.

With Shaolin Salute,
        Chun Yian

Comment

• Wonderful accounts!

Thank you, Sifu for writing your autobiography, and thank you Chun Yian Siheng for sharing.

Every installment is a pleasure to read, and leaves me with a big smile. I especially enjoyed Simu's comment.

I've ready several installments to my three sons, who hang on every word. We're all looking forward to Sifu's completed autobiography!

Best regards,
          Zach

Comment

• Always a joy to read these teasers!

Sifu's personal journey through Kung Fu combat efficiency is inspiring.

With Shaolin Salute,
            Lee Wei Joo
            http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

• Pure Inspitation

As always, these little gems from Sifu's coming book are so very inspiring, and for me show the incredible dedication of our Grand Master for his belief in the Shaolin Arts and in his deep life long passion and drive to share it with the world.
              It gives me the shivers in a good way

With deepest respect

Seán

Comment

• Thank you

It was wonderful to read Sifu's journey to combat effiency.
                And how lucky are we, that there now is Shaolin Wahnam Institute! And the Shaolin arts available to all, irrespective of culture, religion or race.

Thank you for this thread, it is truly inspiring.

Best wishes,

Nessa
                Nessa Kahila
                Shaolin Nordic Finland
                Instructor
                nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

• I am really loving these gems of Sifu's life

Peace

Mark
                  Sifu Mark Appleford

sigpic

Comment

• Very inspiring. Thank you for these new stories.
                    I am really looking forward to the book .

Andrea
                    Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                    Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

• Thanks for sharing, Sipak. I really enjoyed reading the latest excerpts, Sigung's sparring experiences are particularly entertaining!
                      Best wishes,
                      Nick

Comment

Well the book that consists of the complete autobiography is almost ready!! Details of the book such as cover and content designs, worldwide limited quantity for special & limited edition, price, how to order the book and etc will be released soon.

In relation with combat efficiency, here is another part which describe how Sifu worked on combat application.

Working Out Combat Application

When working out counters against opponents in free sparring, for example, as I knew what arts they practiced, I could anticipate what techniques they would use. Initially, I had to think of what patterns I could select from the kungfu sets I had learned to counter their attacks, or to press in and attack them when they hesitated. Then I suddenly realised that when in combat, combatants would have no time to think. A successful combatant would have done the thinking beforehand.

So I asked myself if an opponent executed a side-kick at me, which was common as combatants at that time used kicks often, how would I respond. Now, our teaching methodology has made things easy for our students. They are trained to move their front leg slightly and diagonally back into a side-way Bow-Arrow Stance, without moving their back leg, and simultaneously strike the kicking leg with “Lohan Strikes Drum”. Or they may move their front leg back to dodge the kick, and as the attacker withdraws his leg, move forward swiftly with adequate coverage for safety, and fell the opponent using “Fell Tree with Roots”, followed with a decisive strike while the opponent is helpless on the ground.

These tactics and techniques were later developments from those early experiences. At that time, I was far less sophisticated. I thought to myself that I could ward off the kick with “Single Tiger Emerges from Cave”, or I could retreat a step into “Show Dragon Hide Tiger”.

I found that using “Single Tiger Emerges from Cave” would be disadvantageous because I would be using my weakness against an opponent’s strength. I also found that if I avoided the opponent’s kick using “Show Dragon Hide Tiger” and then moved in to counter-attack, I would be slow. I would also expose myself to his second kick or his hand attack as I moved in.

Eventually, I discovered that I could avoid his kick just by moving my body back without having to move my feet, using the pattern “Tame Tiger with String of Beads”. As he withdrew his leg, I could shift my body forward, again without moving my legs, to strike him. But he often kicked or struck back. So, I had to ward off his attack as I moved in. Later, I discovered that I could tame his hand and leg as a pre-emptive move regardless of whether he would strike or kick.

I practised these moves many times until they became very smooth. When I sparred with others, as they used side kicks, I responded with these practised moves, and frequently was able to strike my opponents. Sometimes, my opponents moved a few steps backward or jumped away from my striking range, and I would be left standing there.

So, the next time when I practised combat application alone, I pre-empted these moves made by my opponents. I imaged an opponent executing a side kick. I dodged and counter-struck. But he moved or jumped back a few steps beyond my striking range. I followed his retreating steps, taking care to cover him adequately, and struck him.

At first, my chase was awkward, but with practice, it became very fluent. After sufficient practice, when I used these moves as the situation arose in free sparring, my opponents found it hard to escape, especially when I tamed their hands well besides chasing them closely.

But in rare occasions, a very skilful opponent, like a master, would sink back his stance to escape my coverage on him and thus was able to ward off my strike, with a Mirror Hand for example. So, in my own training, I worked on this eventuality too. I also realised that an opponent might use other means of defence besides the Mirror Hand, or he might also counter-attack. I worked out counters against these possible moves by opponents, and practised them in solo.

Using this strategy, I worked out many useful combat sequences for my own use, and practised them in solo training. When the situation arose in free sparring, I just let the appropriate sequence flow spontaneously.

I became aware that solo practice was necessary to ensure that the planned combat sequences flow smoothly and spontaneously in combat. I had an “Aha” experience. “That was how masters became so effective in their combat! With practice, they could respond correctly and spontaneously at the speed of thought.”

With rspect,
                        Chun Yian

Comment

• Dear Chun Yian Siheng,

Wow..."spontaneously at the speed of thought"...how wonderful.

It is both fascinating and humbling to read of how Sifu systematically worked through various puzzles and solved them. My awareness of and appreciation for the profundity of the 16 (or 20) shaolin kungfu sequences grows ever deeper.

Shaolin salute - with love and respect,

Emiko
                          Emiko Hsuen
                          www.shaolinwahnam.jp
                          www.shaolinwahnam.ca

INTENSIVE & SPECIAL COURSES -- PENANG 2018
                          Taught by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
                          4th generation successor of the Southern Shaolin Monastery
                          Small and Big Universe Course: Nov 21 to 25
                          Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner: Nov 26 to Dec 2
                          Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy: Dec 2 to Dec 8
                          Intensive Chi Kung Course: Dec 9 to Dec 13
                          To apply, send email to: secretary@shaolin.org

Comment

• This is one of my favorite excerpts so far. It clearly displays Sifu’s teaching methodology.

Thank you to Sifu for all his efforts working out our training system!

And thank you to Chun Yian Siheng for constantly feeding us with wonderful bits of the upcoming autobiography!

Best wishes,
                            o\

Leo
                            Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Shaolin Wahnam Wien & Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

• I agree with Leo, this is my favourite.
                              We are indeed very blessed to have the combat sequences to practice. We have a clear way to practice handling all sorts of combat situations.

Thank you, Sifu!

Best wishes,

Nessa
                              Nessa Kahila
                              Shaolin Nordic Finland
                              Instructor
                              nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Wong Chun Yian View Post
                                Well the book that consists of the complete autobiography is almost ready!! Details of the book such as cover and content designs, worldwide limited quantity for special & limited edition, price, how to order the book and etc will be released soon.
                                Now that's some great news.

Thank you to Sigung and his family for making this, and Shaolin Wahnam, a reality. Sigung Wong is truly a man driven by passion for his art and spreading its benefits.

With respect,
                                Jim Peterson
                                Sigung: This is a great exercise for women, because it makes them beautiful and radiant.
                                Student: And what does it do for men?
                                Sigung: It makes women beautiful!
                                Smile from the heart!

Comment

Working...
                                X