Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper meditation

I have a quick but not so easy question,

How do you know when you have entered a state of "true" meditation.

Last night I had an interesting experience while clearing my thoughts and preparing for sleep -- (I have to meditate to sleep, I use it as a sleep aid- otherwise i will just lay there mind spinning like a top.)

Anyway, I was in half lotus, and just for what seemed like about 1 to 2 seconds I heard a "Buzz" sound and then Jumped out of it rather rapidly.

This was after trying to calm myself for about 15-20 minutes in half lotus with an empty mind.

After the first time, I stopped for a few minutes and thought about it.
    About 10 minutes later, I did the same exercise and dropped my awareness down to my dantien like i had the first time, and "Buzz" about 1-2 seconds then I lost my hold on the calm, and popped out of it.

Is this right? or should I just concentrate on using my meditation as i have been, as a sleep aid -- until I find a proper teacher?

I can say one thing for sure, Last night I slept better than I have in years.

Hi,

My honest opinion is that you should not attempt sitting meditation at all unless you have a good teacher.

This was after trying to calm myself for about 15-20 minutes
    Being unable to calm your mind in that amount of time is a very good indication that you are not ready for sitting meditation on your own.

The buzzing you experienced could be a good or a bad sign. Most likely the last. I do not mean to sound all knowing or arrogant, but would you attempt to balance across a line placed between two buildings before preparing properly?

Practising sitting meditation on your own without proper training is a similar thing, although the foolishness is less obvious to people not aware of what meditation is and the power of the mind.

It will be very unwise to continue this as you not just might but will harm yourself over time. Real meditation is not a laughing matter, although those proficient at it bubble over with smiles and laugher

To clear any noticeable and unnoticeable damage done by faulty meditation practise I recommend you find a good chi kung teacher. Practising genuine chi kung will also improve the results from your meditation the day you are ready to really start practising it.

All the best.
    When one door closes, another one opens.

Comment

Thank you for the advice, That is exactly what i was looking for.

Comment

If you truly wish to continue on your own I recommend any of Sigung's books, and if you cannot afford, or order them for some reason. http://www.scribd.com/doc/301820/Ini...y-Franz-Bardon is a good book from a very high level master. Steps one through three of this book are quite fundamental as far as meditation and self development goes, and should yield some amazing results. Follow the instructions carefully.

Recieving guidance from a high level teacher in person is obviously the better way. But *Shrugs* it's up to you ultimately, I just felt the need show you this option.
        Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Working...
        X