Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycle of Qi in the 12 Primary Meridians

Hi all,

Since I'm officially back in school now studying Chinese Medicine, I thought I would start posting some questions in this forum that I can't seem to find answers for elsewhere. After all, it would be foolish not to make use of Shaolin Wahnam's wide body of knowledge in this subject area.

This may be a purely intellectual question, but any sort of feedback is greatly appreciated. When we talk about the cycle of qi flowing through our 12 primary meridians, it flows in a specific order (i.e. starting at the lungs, large intestine, stomach, spleen, etc). I'm wondering if the flow of qi is largely constant throughout that cycle or if it is more or less powerful at any point and why. Thanks all
    Molly
    有志著事竟成

Shaolin Wahnam Twin Cities

Genuine Shaolin Kungfu and Qigong in Minnesota
    https://www.shaolinwahnamtc.com/

Hi Molly,

During the Shiatsu portion of massage school, we were told that the energy goes in 2 hour blocks. So, from midnight to 2:00 am, the chi is stongest in one meridian, and weakest in the opposite meridian. Then from 2:00 to 4:00, it's anther meridian pair, etc.

I don't know how accurate that is. I also don't recall if the strong/weak meridians are based on the meridian pairs or not. So, yeah, there's some vague, possibly inaccurate info for you!

-Matt

Comment

The attached picture may help.
      Sifu Andrew Barnett
      Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
      Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
      Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Hey Molly,

This is a question that I have a lot of interest in. I'm going to preface what I'm about to post by saying that I am still in acupuncture school and am not currently practicing on patients, so all of this is based on theory as opposed to personal application.

The flow of qi in the body is complex subject open to much debate. Many feel that the traditional Daoist ways of determining the most full position of the qi at any given time to be irrelevant to our modern world since we live less at the mercy of nature (lights at night and all that). There has been some research in Japan, though, that showed a strong likelihood that the circadian rhythms shown in the chart above are accurate. See Chasing the Dragon's Tail for more info on the research.

This flow through the 12 primary meridians throughout the course of the day is the standard accepted cyclical flow of chi. There are, however different systems of increasing complexity for determining the exact position where the most qi is gathered at any given time. To complicate this more, there is the concept that there can be the flow of three distinct types of energy: WeiQi, YingQi, and JingQi. The Ying flows following the 12 hour (Traditional Chinese Hours) cycle, but also in 24-minute intervals along the antique points following a specific pattern called the Midnight-Midday cycle. It typically does not correspond to the meridian that is currently "active." The Jing flows through the 8 extraordinary vessels according to the Sacred Tortoise and Soaring Eightfold methods (so at any given time one of the opening points for the extraordinary meridians will be most active). I'm not exactly sure about the flow of the Wei, but I'm currently watching a video that I'm hoping will cover that.

The preceding paragraph is not main-stream CM, and most of the information I got from Dr. Tran; not to be confused with Dr. Tran.

Charts on when the points are open can be found in The Complete Stems and Branches and A Study of Daoist Acupuncture. All of these flows are based on the Chinese Calendar and the Heavenly Stems and Earthly Branches. It's an area that I'm fascinated in, but will take quite a long time before I have a really solid understanding of these different systems and cycles.

Hope you found that somewhat helpful.

Best of luck with your school.
        Adam Bailey
        Shaolin WahNam USA

Comment

Thanks all for the weigh-ins. I felt a little dumb that I completely forgot about the two hour block cycle through the primary meridians before starting this thread. But forgive me, my brain is processing an awful lot of information just now.
          And thanks Adam for all of the extra info, this topic is much deeper than I was aware. As I progress through my coursework, I can start delving into those details once I have a more solid foundation.
          So while I'm at it, I'll throw this question out there too (I'm hoping some of you Chinese speaking scholars will chime in): is there any correlation at all to the volume of qi flow at the tai yin, jue yin, shao yin, yang ming, shao yang, and tai yang positions? Thanks.
          有志著事竟成

Comment

Originally posted by Adam B View Post
            The flow of qi in the body is complex subject open to much debate. Many feel that the traditional Daoist ways of determining the most full position of the qi at any given time to be irrelevant to our modern world since we live less at the mercy of nature (lights at night and all that).
            This is what I was wondering about. Add to the fact that people live in a number of time-zones that may or may not align with the flow of energy on the chart. How does that figure into the equation?

Best wishes,
            George / Юра
            Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Originally posted by Molly View Post
              When we talk about the cycle of qi flowing through our 12 primary meridians, it flows in a specific order (i.e. starting at the lungs, large intestine, stomach, spleen, etc). I'm wondering if the flow of qi is largely constant throughout that cycle or if it is more or less powerful at any point and why. Thanks all
              Molly
              A good point would be to familiarize yourself with circadian rhythmicity with what you are being taught then ascertain for yourself a pattern based on syndrome differentiation.
              This would be for later based on how far you have ingrained your special skill but forget about qi and treat based on what you see. "Qi" will take care of itself bassed on what you do or don't do.

Comment

H I yeniseri I am new to the forum. I was wondering if you are a Chinese medical doctor?
                from the Heart...

Comment

Thanks for your input yeniseri but I did not pose my initial question to help aid in pattern diagnosis. I'm merely trying to broaden my understanding based on qi's movement both in the 24 hour cycle and through the more specialized points (5 shu, influential, heavenly star, etc.).
                  有志著事竟成

Comment

Originally posted by ChristinaB View Post
                    H I yeniseri I am new to the forum. I was wondering if you are a Chinese medical doctor?
                    Yes but I no longer practice!
                    My specialty is yangshenggong practice, which I do occasionally for those needing it. I have not done acupuncture for over 15 years but I still keep abreast. When I mature sufficiently, my guess is that I will return to acupuncture and be made pure by its mind releasing strategies
                    I have worked in another industry for over 18 years and that has been my present profession.

If I did acupuncture today, I would be domiciled to the netherworld for practicing witchcraft ad shamanic poofery!

Comment

Originally posted by yeniseri View Post
                      If I did acupuncture today, I would be domiciled to the netherworld for practicing witchcraft ad shamanic poofery!
                      Might be a stab at ones ego and esteem in some circles, but in the end, what is important; to help the needing in the best ways possible or to have a shiny reputation?

I hope the day comes when western medicine can work with, and learn from its older and in many areas much wiser and more practical Eastern counterpart.

This thread is already full of interesting information, I hope it is just the start so far.
                      When one door closes, another one opens.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                        This is what I was wondering about. Add to the fact that people live in a number of time-zones that may or may not align with the flow of energy on the chart. How does that figure into the equation?

Best wishes,
                        As far as I know, the 2-hour cycle is related to the solar time, ie, to the position of the one's location (geographic meridian) relative to the sun.

Comment

I think this is right mping. What's more is that flow does adjust itself based on changes in ones geographic location. So when we're experiencing jet lag, this is our body's own natural cycle trying to realign itself to the new environment.

I think it's interesting and quite fortunate too that we in Shaolin Wahnam have such a good energy flow that this cyclical flow readjusts very quickly. I think most of us don't even experience jet lag. When I went to China well before beginning training with Sifu the return took me 3 weeks to readjust to Minnesota time. Now I need no time to readjust. It's pretty darned cool.
                          有志著事竟成

Comment

cycle of energy in twelve meridians

Indeed the two hour cycle relates to time of day as determined by the sun

you may all find it interesting that the cycle remains true to GMT as well - so for those of us in the usa who shift our clocks for the "artificial" daylight savings - the actual two hour time slots for energy opening in the 12 channels becomes an hour off during the second half of the year!

I make this statement from direct experience of utilizing open energy points on patients in my clinical practice for the last two years. Fun to learn!
                            from the Heart...

Comment

Originally posted by ChristinaB View Post
                              Indeed the two hour cycle relates to time of day as determined by the sun

you may all find it interesting that the cycle remains true to GMT as well - so for those of us in the usa who shift our clocks for the "artificial" daylight savings - the actual two hour time slots for energy opening in the 12 channels becomes an hour off during the second half of the year!

I make this statement from direct experience of utilizing open energy points on patients in my clinical practice for the last two years. Fun to learn!
                              As much as I recognize the various cycles, time of day, disease manifestation, I am as amazed as the subject because there are at least 5 variables or combination thereof of dis-ease conditions improvement. Are they responding to:
                              a. Me
                              b. The healing environment (cleanliness or lack thereof, incense)
                              c. Yangshenggong/neigong/qigong method
                              d. Direction facing
                              e. Touch (manually correcting postures)

Comment

Working...
                              X