No announcement yet.

An important lesson not to be missed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a bit of a mundane question: if I have limited resources (i.e. only have money for one long course) and I have not been to an intensive shaolin kungfu course, should I take the opportunity to learn one of the special sets from Sifu himself, or should I prioritize taking the Shaolin kung fu course?

Comment

Just a bit of a mundane question: if I have limited resources (i.e. only have money for one long course) and I have not been to an intensive shaolin kungfu course, should I take the opportunity to learn one of the special sets from Sifu himself, or should I prioritize taking the Shaolin kung fu course?
      Well this is a very interesting question which many students who may not be able to attend a regular Kung Fu class ask.

In my opinion it made more than sense that Sifu did stick on the basic syllabus for a long time period. He also explained it several times why getting the fundamentals first may prepare one for more advanced material.

Let me just take the example on the Kung Fu technique level. The syllabus provides not only the very basics like timing spacing, the three arrivals, the 6 harmonies and so on but simple, very effective appliable patterns. Simple is relatively said because even in the basic syllabus many patterns are highly sophisticated.
      It simply needs time to develop the necessery skill not only to apply the patterns succesfully, but also to understand their tactics and strategies.

Now the special courses are full of more sophisticated patterns, tactics and strategies. Many of them are a further development of the basic syllabus. And honestly said without my former training I would not have the access to their deep profound meaning.

So I say to my students if there is a chance to take the Intensive Kung Fu course, even when attending my regular class, then take this opportunity.

When it comes if students ask me to be able to take part at a special course then I look on their performance first. I want to make sure that they have understood the basic priciples first. It's to their best development that I decide what makes sense and not. Just taking a course would waste their time and money.

I am very lucky to say that my students so far only decided for special courses where I was also competent in, meaning that I did also take the courses beforehand or even with them. So I can asure that they still continue the basics and still have a further guidance with the new material.

Two of my students will go for the Finland course. I already decided beforehands that I will also take part. So regarding their development and the fact that I am also there made me deciding that they should take part.
      In this case without my attendance they would have been better done to train on and wait for another chance.

Best regards
      "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
      Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

A further note:

Now when it comes to the point that one has already reached a remarkable level, then taking spacial courses are an amazing way to improve.

It's amazing taking a spacial course will improve the Kung Fu in general tremendously. It will also improve the fundamentals one has trained irrespecive of what style in many ways.

As a Monkey stylist I have taken also the Triple Stretch, the Iron Wire, the Praying Mantis, part of the Tan Tui and Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan. It is weird but my Monkey performance has improved tremendously. My performance of the basic sequences has improved tremendously. Not only that my skill level has improved but also my Kung Fu knowledge.

So again special courses are a gift in many ways. But it makes sense to analyse ones status quo. Then one may analyse ones amitions and ones aims and objectives.

Best regards

Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Dear sisook

Thank you again for another great post! It has become like some sort of newsletter, really =D. I look forward to every new installment with much anticipation!

@LuoLang: I would also like to mention how incredibly grateful I am to you, Sifu, for giving my sister and me the chance to attend the special course in Finland.
          In fact, I wasn't aware of the fact that your presence at the course makes our joining even possible in the first place!
          Only now do I realize how arrogant and presumptuous my thoughts (of me generally joining the course in Finland) probably were.
          So yes, thank you very much indeed for this lesson and your general considerations=)!

Warm greetings to all

Fabienne

Comment

Originally posted by Luo Lang View Post
            So again special courses are a gift in many ways. But it makes sense to analyse ones status quo. Then one may analyse ones amitions and ones aims and objectives.

Best regards
            Thank you for your extensive and helpful reply, I will most certainly wait for an opportunity to take the Intensive Kung Fu course.

Best,
            Chia-Hua

Comment

@LuoLang: I would also like to mention how incredibly grateful I am to you, Sifu, for giving my sister and me the chance to attend the special course in Finland.
              In fact, I wasn't aware of the fact that your presence at the course makes our joining even possible in the first place!
              Only now do I realize how arrogant and presumptuous my thoughts (of me generally joining the course in Finland) probably were.
              So yes, thank you very much indeed for this lesson and your general considerations=)!
              It's my job to make the best out of your training! Of course you would also benefit the other way round, but you wouldn't get the best out of it. And as you know we in Shaolin Wahnam aim for the excellence in any outcome for all involved!

Now you have the chance to tame two with one:
              - I may help you in your preparations
              - I may assist you during the course
              - I may continue to help you with your progress after the course

It's actually not ingnorant to consider taking other courses in other countries with other Brothers and Sisters. In fact I highlight this familyship very much as you know. But it makes sense indeed to consider various factors to get the best out of it.

Thank you for your extensive and helpful reply, I will most certainly wait for an opportunity to take the Intensive Kung Fu course.
              You will certainly not be disappointed, actually the opposite will take place.

two of my students in Bern, Adrian and Florian trained for more than two years alone and three years with me and still asked me what would be the best for them. So they went for the Intensive course in Sabbha, a course which I recommened often and wholeheartly. the outcome was more than expected!

best regards,

Roland.

Comment

Working...
              X