Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chi-kung by home

Hello everyone.

I'd like to introduce myself, my names Anas. I've been on this forum for some time but don't really talk on here so I consider myself like a new member.

This thread really caught my attention because I seem to be in the same situation as some people who have commented on this thread.

I don't live too far by a graveyard either, actually I can see it from my living room window. I don't really know how far it is but it's just down the road, a five minute walk.

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me how I can work out how many meters away I live from the graveyard.

I'd like to say also that doing qigong at home is alright and I don't feel odd when practicing at home, I think it might be because I've lived at the same street since I was born so I might be naturally use to the atmosphere or something.

Anyway I hope anyone can give me info of how I can work out how many meters I am away from the place.

Thanks

Peace!

Comment

Hi Anas,

Welcome to the forum!

One way you could measure the distance would be to measure roughly how wide your pace is, i.e how close together your feet are when taking a step. Then walk to the graveyard, count the steps and do the maths.

At least this would save you buying some sort of measuring device. If you live too close you'd probably want to consider a move... five minutes down the road probably might be a bit close for comfort.

I remember practicing about 750 to 1000 meters away from a graveyard at night time once ( At the time I thought I was far away enough) and it was a slightly unnerving experience.

If you really cannot move then it's probably best to practice chi kung away from the house, where you can benefit from a better quality of cosmic energy.

Hope this helps,

Max

Namo Da Bei Guan Shi Yin Pu Sa

Comment

Dear Anas,

Welcome to the forum!

Google Earth has a tape measure function which allows distances to be measured. The UK Google Earth dataset is excellent so you shouldn't have a problem with distinguishing your house and the graveyard.

Best wishes,

Kevin

Comment

Hi Max & Kevin

Thanks for the advice, i'll do both.

Also I was told that when you take a course with sifu like Generating Energy Flow, Sifu transmits the skills that when you practice Qigong you don't take in the energy around you but you tap higher energy so i'm assuming that if you're a certain distance away from the graveyard it won't matter, I think.

What do you guys think?

Kind Regards

Anas

Comment

Originally posted by drunken boxer View Post

Hey John, beautiful part of the world! Had a brilliant holiday around that area once.
            Hello Paul, how are you?

Clonakilty is a beautiful place, I am lucky to live, train and work here.
            I think I amenlightened ............

Comment

Dear Shaolin family,

I changed accommodation before Christmas thereby ending Chi Kung practice close to a graveyard.

(To recall: When I started this thread last October I had just moved to new accommodation which was very close to a graveyard and I asked the forum if this was going to be a problem for my practice.)

I spent seven weeks at my old place and practiced twice a day, everyday. Unlike Sifu Anton or Sifu Maxime – who kindly contributed to the thread – I never found it “creepy” or “uncomfortable” to be practicing so close to a graveyard. I just got on with it and it was fine…or so I thought!

After a few weeks though it occurred to me that my thoughts were starting to get very distracted in my practice and my Chi flows had become quite subdued. It wasn’t something that happened overnight; it just crept up on me gradually over a few weeks, almost unknown to me. Once I realised what was happening the situation seemed to get worse: more distraction and more subdued Chi flows. (although this increased deterioration may be more to do with me worrying about my practice rather than some increased influence of the graveyard).

I suppose I found it somewhat surprising that the problem of practicing close to a graveyard manifested itself in this way. I thought that if there was going to be a problem it would be much more dramatic and much more spooky. But no, it was a distraction of thoughts and subdued Chi flows which, to repeat myself, I didn’t find creepy or uncomfortable…just very undesired and very bad for practice.

Moving out to new accommodation became a priority and after what seemed like an epic struggle I finally found a new place that is over two kilometers from the nearest graveyard. PHEW!!!

And guess what? There is a public park right outside my door in my new place!! Waahoo!
              Yes, after hijacking the original topic of this thread to go spouting off about my blockages in practicing in public, I now have a nice little park right outside my door! When I walk past it in the morning its like I can hear a little siren call: “Come to me Kevin, come my son, come…practice here, practice here…you know you want too…”.

So have I heeded its call I hear you ask? Ahhhhh now, that would be telling.....(he he)

Best wishes to all,

Kevin

Comment

I've done a recap on a few of the threads that mention cemetary or graveyard, and as this seems the most up-to-date and comprehensive one, I thought I would ask my questions about the matter here.

I had thought that we were supposed to avoid graveyards altogether, and the things Siheng Maxime has said as well as the story about Sifu wanting the car moved away from the graveyard, seem to support that.

But other things I have read make me think that it is only important not to live near, or practise near, a graveyard.

The reason I ask, is because I have had to attend a couple of funerals in the past few months, which involved sitting in a chapel beside a graveyard, and then standing in a graveyard, for over an hour. This issue never entered my head to be honest.

People here (and I assumed everywhere else in the world) would tend to visit the graves of their loved ones from time to time.

Also, I remember one time when I had to give someone a lift to choir practice at the chapel (which has the graveyard in its grounds), and my options were either sit and wait for them outside for the hour, or go away and come back at the end. I remember thinking at the time I would sit and read a book or watch tv on my ipad, but then I remembered the thing about graveyards and decided to drive away and come back at the end. Did I worry unnecessarily, or was this the wise thing to do?

I have never felt uncomfortable at this graveyard, both my grandparents are there and if anything I feel good to be near them, but then maybe if there were any spirits or problems they might not present themselves obviously and it would be more like Kevin's experience.

Comment

Dear Brother

But other things I have read make me think that it is only important not to live near, or practise near, a graveyard.
                  Indeed.

In my opinion, visiting your family's graves and attending a funeral are noble acts. If you practice our arts, your energy will also be quite strong and thus there is nothing to worry about "problems or spirits", as long as you feel comfortable, just pay a short visit and don't train or live there . There might also be other ways to honor the memory of your grandparents. If you have some photos you could put them up at home...

In general the energy in a cemetery is quite different from other places, I can feel it and also why it is often described as more "Yin". It's not an energy for the living.

Andrea
                  Last edited by Andrea; 3 August 2015, 11:36 AM.
                  Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                  Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea View Post
                    If you practice our arts, your energy will also be quite strong and thus there is nothing to worry about "problems or spirits", as long as you feel comfortable, just pay a short visit and don't train or live there .
                    Thanks Andrea (and long time no see). That is reassuring then.

In my opinion, visiting your family's graves and attending a funeral are noble acts.
                    I thought so too.

In general the energy in a cemetery is quite different from other places, I can feel it and also why it is often described as more "Yin". It's not an energy for the living.
                    I've never felt this, though I do believe that you and others do.

The only thing I can think of is that in certain places (not graveyards), I feel fine when I train there during the day, but I don't feel good if I train there in the dark and I don't feel much chi flow etc, but I couldn't say I feel a different energy, just a different amount of energy.

Comment

Useful thread as I'm looking to move at the moment. How about 350 metres away from a church with a small graveyard... to be more specific this one:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...dba8aa!6m1!1e1

I'm looking at a flat nearby on Friday.

Many thanks,
                      Jordan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan_LM View Post
                        Useful thread as I'm looking to move at the moment. How about 350 metres away from a church with a small graveyard...
                        ... I'm looking at a flat nearby on Friday.
                        If you have the choice why not choose a better location?
                        Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                        Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

If you have the choice why not choose a better location?
                          Good point To be honest I was quite surprised there was a graveyard there... I know the area and was looking at it specifically because it is a peaceful neighbourhood with lots of green space. However I've never walked down that road and only noticed it when I looked at Google maps. It can get tricky in this city (Bristol) because there are lots of small churches all over the place.

many thanks,
                          Jordan.

Comment

Having recently gone through the process of buying a house this subject is still fresh in my mind - we had to turn down a number of nice houses because they were close to one (or more!) cemeteries. London is peppered with them! (And don't get me started on the hospital with A&E that was built across the road from an active one - who in their right mind would do such a thing?!)

Anyway, I asked Sifu about this one time and he said that we should have compassion for the cemetery "residents" and not practice there - our powerful energy is apparently very distressing for them.

Now when I drive past one of our (many) cemeteries I recite Boddhisattva Guan Yin's mantra instead so that the spirits may have some blessings to help them.

Best wishes,
                            Last edited by George; 16 August 2015, 06:21 PM.
                            George / Юра
                            Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Also, it feels to me that old cemeteries (which a lot of church ones are) are quite OK to be near - the energy there feels normal. I think the natural process is for energy to dissipate with time, but I don't have any concrete knowledge about it.

Active cemeteries, however, are definitely not a place to spend much time at. Neither are our hospitals for that matter - they are the places with the worst energy I have ever come across.
                              Last edited by George; 16 August 2015, 04:07 PM.
                              George / Юра
                              Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                                Also, it feels to me that old cemeteries (which a lot of church ones are) are quite OK to be near - the energy there feels normal. I think the natural process is for energy to dissipate with time, but I don't have any concrete knowledge about it.(
                                That is interesting George. I am not advanced enough to develop more, but I can confirm that different cemeteries have different energies. Nevertheless I am not sure whether the oldest ones feel better, but the quality of energy certainly differ.

I have visited some old cemeteries where the energy was extremely unpleasant, and more recent ones where I could barely feel anything at all (!).

Maxime

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

Working...
                                X