Han Dynasty (206 B.C - 220 A.D)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Sihing,

Thank's for the time and effort you are putting into China's history to giving us some insight into China's past. It's really interesting and very enjoyable to read. Looking forward to more.

Best regard's,
    Brendan

Comment

Dear Sifu,

thanks for your lovely post, it got me smiling from the heart

Hi Brendan, it was good to meet you in Galway and had a great day in your historical city, looking forward to seeing you in Limerick for the next Scholar Warrior day out

Comment

Zhang Heng

Zhang Heng, a native of Nanyang in central China's Henan Province, was a mathematician, astronomer and geographer.

In 132 he invented the first seismograph. His device was in the shape of a cylinder with eight dragon heads around the top, each with a ball in its mouth. Around the bottom were eight frogs, each directly under a dragon's head. When an earthquake occurred, a ball fell out of a dragon's mouth into a frog's mouth, making a noise.

One day the ball fell with a loud clang alerting the palace of an earthquake but nothing was felt, so it was considered a false alarm and the people of the palace began to doubt the seismographs effectiveness, until a few days later a runner entered the palace with news of an earthquake 400 miles away and that his village had been devastated.

The seismograph could also give direction of the disaster depending on which frogs mouth the ball was in, pointing the direction.

Source:http://hua.umf.maine.edu/China/astro...Heng6539w.html

Comment

Dear Sihing,

I am glad you enjoyed the Galway tour. Definetly looking forward to the Limerick tour I'd say it will be excellent. A very interesting device the seismograph it's almost hard to believe that it could detect earthquake's excellent stuff im really enjoying this thread.

Best wishe's,
          Brendan

Comment

Dear Padraig Sihing

I had the pleasure to spend some time at the local "world art" museum yesterday, after visiting a temporary exhibition about Buddhism in Bhutan. And to my surprise they have a large China collection. Thanks to all the knowledge shared here, the exposed artifacts came alive. I walked from one display case to the next with a big smile, recognizing the dynasties and development steps discussed in these history threads.

Thank you for all the time and effort put into these threads . They are such a great way to deepen our understanding and knowledge.

Andrea
            Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
            Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Dear Andrea,

delighted to hear that really heartwarming, I have watched a few documentaries that I came across since starting these threads and it is a joy when you can appreciate Chinese history on a new level, it makes it all worth it

Comment

I am glad you enjoyed the Galway tour. Definetly looking forward to the Limerick tour
                And the Cork tour! Don't forget about the Cork tour Brendan!

Comment

Dear Sihing Kevin,

I have'nt forgotton about the Cork tour either. Really looking forward to all the tour's. I hope your practice is going well for you.

All the best,
                  Brendan

Comment

Originally posted by padraig View Post
                    I have watched a few documentaries
                    Anything you would recommend? I remember I used to love history documentations .. but it must be years since I took the time to watch one .

Andrea
                    Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                    Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Hi Andrea,

I watched one recently about Shi Huang Di the First Emperor, I have the History channel here at home, very handy! I think the name was "China's First Emperor" couldnt be sure though.

Comment

Hey Sihing,

If im not mistaken there's a second part to that documentry the first Emperor not sure if that's the name either next sunday at eight o clock on the history channel.

All the best,
                        Brendan

Comment

Cheers Brendan, will keep look out for that!!

Comment

Working...
                          X