Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are you a kungfu practitioner?

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and perhaps this has been posted before, but I thought this might be a good topic for me to start out with. Practicing kungfu and the reasons behind doing so has changed over time. Whether someone was a monk, a soldier or general, or a civilian, the reasons might have been different. For the monk, it was for spiritual reasons. For the general, it was conquest or defense of the country. For the civilian, if he/she were lucky to learn, it was for the protection of oneself and the village. My point is that these were serious reasons for learning kungfu. I used to think that most practitioners in our modern age were practicing kungfu for the wrong reasons. Someone might learn kungfu for the fighting skills, but not necessarily for self-preservation. Someone who is searching for supernatural skills will take up kungfu, but not for helping others. Some people treat kungfu as merely a hobby. I believe that the true purpose of kungfu hasn't changed, only the times.

Even so, I try not to judge people anymore for their reasons for learning. I now think that for whatever reasons for learning people may have, the spirit of kungfu will still remain intact.

I have been thinking about this for a while and the reasons why I practice. Why DO we put so much time into our chosen arts? There must be something in these arts that drive us to perfect them. Nowadays, I think the reason why I continue to practice is that it gives me a sense of place in the universe. I feel more connected with nature, people, and God. I don't think there is one word to describe what kungfu can offer, but I guess the best word is PEACE.

So why do you practice kungfu/chi gong/martial arts?

Welcome

Hello Kungfu brother,

Welcome to the forum .

Originally posted by Daoist View Post
    Whether someone was a monk, a soldier or general, or a civilian, the reasons might have been different. For the monk, it was for spiritual reasons. For the general, it was conquest or defense of the country. For the civilian, if he/she were lucky to learn, it was for the protection of oneself and the village. My point is that these were serious reasons for learning kungfu
    It seems all the practitioners you mentioned above used the same vehicle (Shaolin Kungfu) to help them achieve the different aims they had in their life.

I think there are very serious reasons for practicing Kungfu in the modern day too. For myself, The foundation of my aim in life at the moment is to avoid evil, do good, and to cultivate the mind.

Furthermore, I aim to be healthy and happy. To be a good husband to my wife and a good father to my children. To be a good son to my parents and a good brother to my brothers and sisters. To be able to defend myself and to help those around me where I can.

Living in modern society with these aims, I find from direct experience that practicing Shaolin Kungfu as taught at Shaolin Wahnam to be an incredible vehicle to help me achieve the above aims.

Some people treat kungfu as merely a hobby
    I very much started off like this but very soon, I experienced the benefits and realised (to some extent) the depth of traditional Shaolin Kungfu and so it has now become very much a way of life.

Even so, I try not to judge people anymore for their reasons for learning
    Congratulations . I too believe in not judging others and accepting things (but not necessarily agreeing with them) as they are. Allowing them to get on with their life and allowing me to get on with mine.

Why DO we put so much time into our chosen arts
    Hehehe. I sometimes ask myself this same question when getting up early in winter in the dark and cold for training. But then the thought of the benefits I have received from my practice and how much I enjoy my practice once I start, fills me with gratitude towards past and present masters and so the will to practice kicks in.

There must be something in these arts that drive us to perfect them
    For myself, I am not driven to perfect the art because I feel traditional Shaolin Kungfu is perfect as it is. I am driven by a will to pay respect to present and past masters by being a good student.

You know, I find that we are so lucky. In the past, I believe putting in the hard effort to practice Kungfu was probably the easy bit. The hard part was probably to find a great master who was willing to teach you. Today in modern society, we live in great comfort, have all the good food from all around the world available to us, have all the convenience of modern technology, and to have such great arts as traditional Shaolin Kungfu available to us – allowing us to progress spiritually whilst helping us to enjoy all these things we have in our daily lives even more. I feel so lucky to the extent that I am almost embarrassed .

Best wishes

Martin

Comment

Dear Daoist,

thank you for this nice thread. I now revive this old one, I hope this is in line with your question:

http://www.wongkiewkit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4920

Shaolin Regards to All,

Maxime

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

Because it is Fun !!

Hey Daoist,
        I practise kung fu simply because it is fun,............well ok there is a lot more to that as well.

Also Shaolin Kung Fu is an exellent means for spiritual cultivation.......especially Zen.

Imagine if you can regulate you chi flow, and let the mind be still and enter into silence. When you are fighting, sparring with multipile opponents etc.

Then you truly have zen in action

After that doing your zen practise would be much easier. And living zen in daily life as well, would be good

That is my reason for practising Kung fi

But also because it is fun

Mark
        Sifu Mark Appleford

sigpic

Comment

I practice Kung Fu because Sifu told me to
          Sifu Andrew Barnett
          Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
          Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
          Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Hello Daoist,
            I practice Kung Fu because,

I enjoy the practice,

It gives me the courage and confidence to defend myself, physically, mentally,emotionaly and spiritually.

It enables me to enjoy life at my physical, emotional, mental and spiritual best.

It improves the lives of those around me.

It gives me the ability and the honour of passing the Shaolin arts to deserving students.

Its the best way I can thank my Sifu, for sharring the arts with me.

For the joy my current practice brings and for the excitment of what it is yet to bring.

For the honour of keeping the arts alive.

It improves the experiences of my current life, and the ones yet to come.

And thats just off the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark A View Post
              Imagine if you can regulate you chi flow, and let the mind be still and enter into silence. When you are fighting, sparring with multipile opponents etc.

Then you truly have zen in action

After that doing your zen practise would be much easier. And living zen in daily life as well, would be good

Mark
              You bring up an interesting point about how regulating the mind and chi during movement would enhance sitting meditation. In daoist terms, I would call this extreme yang (movement) leads to the birth of yin (stillness). I have noticed too that prolonged moving exercises enhance my sitting or standing meditations.

Comment

I pracice Kung Fu because I am a better person when I practice.

Comment

Working...
                X