Chinese Vagabonds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Vagabonds

At one time I had a book on this subject, but it was not quite so comprehensive on the History of said peoples, but the Vagabonds of china were said to be the inspiration of the creation of Japanese Ninja or "Shinobi".

Anyone have any stories or historical accounts on the ways of such people?
    David

Young Caine: How does man rid himself of such terrible things?
    Master Kahn: Each man must start with himself, within himself.. By slowly forging his Chi, the bond between the finite and the infinte, the inner essense of his strenght and the limitless power of the Universe, only thus can you conquer the power.. and the presence of evil.

I don't know much at all about them myself, but some have asked Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit about the subject before.

Question 8

I met an old Chinese man who showed me what he called Vagabond kung fu. I loved it but try as I may, no one I have spoken to could put me in touch with anyone who knows anything about it. I hope that you can help.

— Paul, England

Answer

Vagabond Kungfu is not a definitive kungfu style like Eagle Claw or Wing Choon with a specific First Patriarch from whom the style developed, and with coherent systems of philosophy and techniques, but rather it is a collective name given to the type or types of kungfu widely practiced by vagabonds, which is a polite tuerm referring to beggars.

Although there were many people practicing Vagabond Kungfu, it was a lesser-known style. In kungfu circles, it was also considered a “chor pai” (Cantonese pronunciation) or “left style”, meaning unorthodox style as opposed to “meng moon jing pai” or “established, righteous style” like Shaolin, Taijiquan or Praying Mantis.

As vagabonds or beggars were found all over China, the type of kungfu practiced by vagabonds in one area might be different from that of another area. The practitioners also borrowed freely from other established kungfu styles. Hence, Vagabond Kungfu in north China would have sophisticated kicks borrowed from Praying Mantis Kungfu in the north, and Vagabond Kungfu in south China would have palm strikes borrowed from White Crane Kungfu in the south.

Nevertheless, different types of Vagabond Kungfu also have special characteristics that are common to them, such as short, vicious strikes to vital points to defeat opponents quickly rather than more elaborated chin-na techniques to subdue opponents in a compassionate way. Vagabond Kungfu is also known for its cunning and often underhand methods.

As its practitioners were mainly beggars who were of a low social class, winning combat in an open and honorable manner was not demnaded or expected from them. For example a beggar might put poison in his nail or hide a secret weapon under his sleeves to increase his chance of victory in combat. Such actions would be inthinkable by a master of an established school.

Practitioners of Vagabond Kungfu were also well known for demonstrating spectacular feats like stroking red-hot iron chains with their bare hands, bending spears on their throat, and having piles of granite broken on their chest by a sledge hammer while lying over a bed of nails. While some of these practitioners had genuine internal force, many of the feats were actually stunt-man shows.

"HER-IT!"

Comment

Working...
    X