Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lost Monk

The lost monk.

This is what those who knew the monk told the generations that followed. The monk Yinang lived all by himself in the mountains. He prayed and prayed and only prayed. When the stomach pinched, he ate and when the throat was parched, he drank water of herbal extracts. The mountains were his domain. He knew them like the back of his hand. Yinang went down to the plains once in a fortnight to see what the kind-hearted had for him, from their bounty.
    His trips to the plains were not easy on him. He was not very young and his legs ached. The journey was long and tiring. He left in the morning and returned after dusk. Yinang’s cave was always lit by candles, but on the days when he went to the plains, he returned to darkness. He desperately needed to do something that could make these trips more endurable.
    His next trip to the plains was fruitful. The market place had on offer a horse from the monastery nearby. The animal was not very healthy or young, but stood sturdy enough for Yinang. He had nothing to offer in exchange for the animal, but the man who held the reins was content to accept the sack of rice that Yinang had received from a kind farmer. However, Yinang wanted to know if the horse was holy in any way, after staying with the monks for so many years. The man showed no surprise; instead he was eager to share information about the animal. The horse followed special commands to trot, canter, gallop and stop.

The man revealed that the command ‘Thank God’ when whispered in the animal’s ears, caused the animal to trot, while ‘Thank God, Thank God’ caused the animal to canter. The same command whispered thrice induced the animal to gallop, while ‘Amen’ made the horse stand still! The animal was holy enough for Yinang. He readily exchanged the bag of rice for the animal and returned to his cave.

The next day, Yinang saddled the animal with the animal skin he had in the cave and mounted the animal, to try the commands out. He whispered ‘Thank God’ into the animal’s ears and the animal began to walk and then trot. After a while, Yinang gave the command twice and the animal began to canter. Excited, Yinang pronounced the command thrice and was enthralled as the animal galloped against the cold wind.

However, in all the excitement, Yinang forgot the cliff ahead. The horse kept galloping and when realization did dawn, the edge was a furlong away. At that crucial moment, Yinang forgot the command to stop the animal. Sensing the impending danger, Yinang prayed and then as if by a miracle, Yinang said ‘Amen’ loud. The horse stopped even as the rocks rolled off the cliff. Yinang deep breath and said to himself, ‘Thank God’. The horse obeyed and the gratitude cost Yinang his life.

The people of the plains still speak of Yinang and wonder what happened to the holy man with the holy horse. Some say that they can still the see the candles flicker on dark nights, while others swear by the sight of Yinang on the horse coming onto the plains every fortnight. The lost monk Yinang and the mystery that shrouds his appearances are just as enthralling as the stories of people who remember a wounded Yinang leaving the mountains forever!

Shao,

Good one! I am sure to retell it.

Where does this story come from?

Yours,

Charles
    Charles David Chalmers
    Brunei Darussalam

Comment

lost monk story

This story was passed down from one of my friend's family for generation's it was a good story so I posted it on here i'm glad you liked it sifu

Comment

Dear Shao

Thank you for the story. So would a conclusion be: Every being has its own destiny. Don't try to make a monk out of a horse ?

Isn't it interesting that with stories like this most people would readily agree. Yet in real life, we so often try to make "monks out of horses", i.e. demand from others that they become what we are?

Andrea
        Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
        Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Andrea

Dear andrea thank you for reading my story, and great conclusion I agree that people try to make "monks out of horses" it's not right that most people think that.

Comment

Thank you for sharing Shao I really enjoyed it.
            ".....Irrespective of race culture and religion." Sifu.

Love to All.

Comment

Inspiring story. For me the story has also the following meaning:

Even if you have decided to train your mind and spirit, day in, day out and become a real monk, don't loose the sense for reality (in our phenomenal world) and become a fool because of your spirituality!

Comment

Nice Story
                Luce e ombra attraversavano la sua vista, le stelle e la luna gli attraversavano il cuore.
                Siddhartha, Hermann Hesse.

Comment

Working...
                X