He Shou Wu -- Super Longevity Herb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Shou Wu -- Super Longevity Herb

Has anyone had any experience with the herb He Shou Wu?

This link has tons of information on it:
    Dragon Herbs is a provider of health promoting herbs and complimentary services, including education and educational materials.

As usual I take it with a grain of salt as the above page is aimed to sell me some He Shou Wu.

However on that page there are a number of cited scientific studies done in China (and I don't know the quality of those studies). PRetty awesome sounding stuff!

Any of you know more about He shou Wu? I've been taking it. You can get it online organic for like $11 / pound.

The below is quoted from the link I shared:

Study 1: A decoction with He Shou Wu as the main ingredient prolonged the lifespan of fruit flies. At 0.1% strength, the decoction could prolong the lifespan by 5.83%. At 0.5% strength, it could prolong the lifespan by 12.03%.

Study 2: A traditional Jing-replenishing formula with He Shou Wu as the main ingredient has been shown to slow down the aging of vital organs in aged animals, especially the reproductive organs, the ovary, the uterus and the testicle. The same formula also demonstrated significant results in open human clinical studies.

Study 3: Shou Wu Kidney Tonic capsules were given to 60 aged humans who had been assessed in a Chinese clinic as experiencing “Kidney deficiency” (Jing deficiency). Out of the 60 cases, 18 cases were evaluated as “extremely effective” (30%) and 32 cases were considered “effective” (53.3%), with a total effective rate for 50 cases of 83.3%.

Study 4: In an attempt to prove Shou Wu’s legendary reputation as being able to reverse grey hair to black, Shou Wu liquor (dilute alcohol extract) was given to 36 people with gray hair. 24 completely recovered their dark hair and 8 more showed improvement. The total effective rate was of 88.9%.
    • He Shou Wu can significantly counters the liver damage in rats caused by peroxidized (spoiled) corn oil.
    • Furthermore, researchers have found that this herb can stabilize liver cells by improving membrane mechanism.
    • There appears to be several mechanisms by which He Shou Wu lowers LDL (“bad”) cholesterol in laboratory animals.
    • Prepared He Shou Wu can greatly enhance the hematopoietic (blood producing) function of the body. It does this by directly promoting the blood generating hematopoietic stem cells.
    • He Shou Wu has been found to improve adrenal gland functioning. He Shou Wu significantly increases the survival ability of mice in extremely cold conditions, an indication of adrenal fortitude.
    • 19-20 month old mice (old age by mice standards) were fed He Shou Wu decoction continuously for 4 months. Their blood plasma lipid peroxidation level at the end of the 4-month regimen was comparable to that of 3 month old mice. If we translate this to human age, it would mean a 60 year old human’s blood can be as young as that of a 6 year old if they consume He Shou Wu continuously for 10 years. The mice in the control group showed a significantly higher level of plasma lipid peroxidation.
    • He Shou Wu has been shown to help maintain youthful levels of SOD (superoxide dismutase) in laboratory animals even as they age. For example, a study showed that after feeding He Shou Wu extract to mice for 7 consecutive months, the blood SOD level of 11 month old mice was maintained at the same level as that of 2 month old mice.
    "Take a moment to feel how wonderful it feels just to be alive."
    - Sifu

I'm convinced that the right herbs combined with chi kung can improve longevity notably, but I would like you suggested take it with a handful of salt, when it is a text written for marketing rather then plain informal purpose.

If this herb is that fantastic, how come it is not already described extensively by for example old Chinese herbalist accounts?

Speaking of growing things, 3rd generation Bagua grandmaster Lu Zijian from China who I believe celebrates his 116th or 117th birthday this year, has said when questioned on his long life "besides the internal arts you should eat raw tomatoes everyday."

I think tomatoes are easyer to come by then the He Shou Wu herb

Tomatoes are good for you!
    When one door closes, another one opens.

Comment

Omar brother,

Originally posted by Omar View Post
      If this herb is that fantastic, how come it is not already described extensively by for example old Chinese herbalist accounts?
      It is. That's why they have done all these tests on it.

In regards to the pictured man, I am 90% sure his age is a fabrication. Lots of Chinese people fabricate their ages, apparently.
      - Sifu

Comment

Thank you Alex Sisook for the dragonherbs link. I like the way they present their products, adding a wealth of information from various perspectives (legends, research, tcm application, chemical composition etc).

Personally I believe one should be very careful with self-medication tho, be it western or eastern style remedies. Many people assume that herbs can always be taken, because they are natural. I am not familiar enough with eastern herbs, but from western herbal applications I know that the same herb can be excellent in one case and harmful in another. For the He Shou Wu (Radix Polygoni Multiflori) I saw there are different studies observing adverse liver reactions.

As for Master Lu Zijian, why assume he fakes his age? Personally I have a great respect for this Master, who has lived through so many events of the newer Chinese history and has known many legendary masters. See also this article: http://combatbaguazhang.com/HuoYuanJia.html and this thread about Master Lu Zijian: http://www.wongkiewkit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6892

As for me I will stick to my Chi Kung and Shaolin Arts practice .

Best regards
        Andrea
        Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
        Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Hi Andrea,

Yeah, herbs need to be taken with respect, but some herbs have much, much less potential for problems. HE Shou Wu is (I think) generally one of the really safe herbs.

Regarding the master, it wasn't an assumption, but something someone said on another forum about him. If I ever find the link I'll post it, but he went into detail about how this master is not as old as they say he is. It was convincing. Let me see if I can find it when I get a free moment.

- Sifu

Comment

Hi Alex sihing and sister Andrea.

I'm aware about the tendencies some people have to exaggerate the size of the fish in stories, but it matters not really whether he is 116, 106 or 96 years old.

I recall reading an independent account from someone who met this man through his own teacher, and he was shown a drivers license that at that tame made Master Lu 111 years old.

What makes me pretty certain that he is a highly accomplished internal master is this video of Master Lu in supposedly his nineties - not mainly the fluid performance and agility shown despite his apparent age, but the fact that after his dual saber performance he jogs off the stage, like a little boy at a local sports event.

I hope you can find that link, it i always nice to have more then one perspective on things, especially on the internet
            When one door closes, another one opens.

Comment

I'm having trouble finding that post...
              - Sifu

Comment

Master Li Ching Yuen popularised the use of this herb...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonum_multiflorum

...and if you are skeptical of Master Lu's age, Alex, you are sure to be skeptical of his

Andy
                Last edited by Andy; 20 July 2009, 01:55 PM.
                Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
                Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
                Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
                - ancient wisdom

Comment

Ho Shou Wu

Hi I am hoping someone out there could help me with this. I started taking Ho Shou Wu drops and I know it is very good for the hair but I really wanted to take if more for health reasons as well since I have Fibromyalgia and Epstein Barr Virus. I am allergic to Soy and I called the company from which I purchased it to find out if this was processed with black soy beans or black mexican beans and he told me is was the black Mexican beans. everytime I take it I feel very very sleepy and just not well. I know I am supposed to feel better using this but for some reason it isn't sitting right with me. I don't know if it is the brand or the drops. Can anyone tell me anything about this ...Do any of them have soy and if not which is the best way to consume it and where do I buy it? I don't know one brand from the other and they really don't give you any information on these websites I have googled .

artzyladi.

Comment

Yin-Yang Harmony = Good Health

Hi artzyladi,

I can't answer your questions directly but what I can say is that cleared and energised meridians are better than any drug, herb or external treatment of any kind.

The way to cleanse, harmonise and energise meridians?

You guessed it:

Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung

For Fibromyalgia and Epstein Barr virus in particular that would be my recommendation...and if you dont feel good after taking any herb or supplement then I would avoid taking it entirely.

Perhaps someone with experience in herbalism could help you regarding your initial query?

All the best,

Andy
                    Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
                    Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
                    Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
                    - ancient wisdom

Comment

Ho Shou Wu

I am a firm believer and always have been of homeopathic remedies and Chinese herbal remedies, unfortunately I do not know enough about them nor can I find anyone in my area who does. I do not take any traditional medications.. I am also gluten free. Any info I can get on the ho shou wu from anyone would be extremely helpful as I have heard nothing but great things about it..thank you for your feedback.

artzyladi

Comment

He Shou Wu - Tonifying Herb from the Materia Medica

In my opinion selling He Shou Wu as a food complement is an unfortunate consequence of spreading traditional knowledge in the open market.

He Shou Wu (Polygoni Muliflori radix) is classified as a TONIFYING herb in the Chinese Materia Medica and this is certainly not a kind of candy or superdrink to take at one's ease without supervision. Before attempting any kind of 'diet' with this product I strongly recommand the advice of a skilled TCM practitionner. Self-prescribed acts are dangerous and irresponsible. Don't tell me I didn't told you

Once you get the approval from your TCM doctor, and only then, you can attempt some 2 weeks diet (the last 2 weeks of the month without He Shou Wu) for about 6 months. Then 1 week per month for another 6 months. After that period, it is mandatory to make a 3 months pause.

The posology is 5 grams per day (raw herbs or pills).

It is essential to take Zhi He Shou Wu (the prepared form - NOT the unprepared herb). Only the prepared substance can tonify the blood, the Yin and the Jing.

Whatever be the Western medicine diagnostic, He Shou Wu must be prescribed according to a TCM model amnenesis. Fibromyalgia and Epstein Barr Virus can - or cannot !- require He Shou Wu ... depending on which TCM syndroms they emerge from. This herb nourrishes powerfully and as such can have a tendancy to facilitate some accumulations in some patients (constipation, headache, etc.).

Simply because an herb is powerful and well-known doesn't mean that anyone should take it.

Now the Zen answer:

Consult a qualified Chinese Medicine herbalist.

Best regards,

Maxime
                        Last edited by Maxime; 22 March 2012, 08:49 PM.

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

Ho Shou Wu

thank you for your reply but I can't find a chinese herbalist anywhere! not even one I can write to on line.. IF you know of a name you can pass along to me it would be greatly appreciated.

Kathy (artzyladi)

Comment

Ho Shou Wu

Hi Maxime,

apparently I was looking under the wrong heading. I just googled TCM doctors in R.I. and found one right on my street!!! Go figure! so I will be calling her in the morning.. Thanks.

Comment

I am happy to have helped you, and that you found a practitioner close to you

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

Working...
                              X