X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Wahnam Official Policy On Sitting Meditation

Shaolin Wahnam Official Policy On Sitting Meditation

Dear Shaolin Family and Guests,

Many people are asking about the practice of sitting meditation in Shaolin Wahnam, and whether or not it will possibly be included in the Shaolin Wahnam standard syllabi in the future.

There are many types of meditation and they are of varying levels – a fact that many people forget.

Years ago Sifu Wong taught sitting meditation to his earlier students. They sometimes concluded their kungfu training with sitting meditation. They sat in a semi-lotus or cross-legged position and just relaxed their mind. Technically, it was the same as the highest meditation, but because Sifu Wong was then teaching at a different level, at the most these early students attained some mental relaxation.

When Sifu Wong taught some special courses for company presidents in South America, he taught them sitting meditation to attain a one-pointed mind. They sat upright on a chair and gently focus on their breaths.

Later, Sifu Kai from Germany found sitting meditation very effective in helping participants at Warrior Projects to attain a focused mind, and taught it with Sifu Wong's blessings. His method is sitting in a lotus position and gently focusing on the breaths.

The type of meditation we are talking about, however, is not the three examples mentioned above. It is the most advanced, sitting in a lotus position to attain no mind (which is All Mind).

Why do any people practice the highest sitting meditation, or any sitting meditation? Here are the reasons:

1. To be relaxed.
    2. To have a focused mind.
    3. To have mental clarity and freshness.
    4. To have inner peace.
    5. To cultivate spiritually.
    6. To acquire psychic powers.
    7. To attain satori or spiritual awakenings.
    8. To return to God, to merge with Tao or to attain Enlightenment.

Except for the last, which all of us are not ready yet, Shaolin Wahnam students achieve all the aims above remarkably well with our standing meditation, and far better than most people, including masters, who have practiced sitting meditation for years.

There are also unconscious reasons for why people would want to practice sitting meditation:

1. To follow the fashion of practicing sitting meditation.
    2. To flatter one’s ego of having tried the highest art.

We also do not want our students to have such false glory. We prefer real, practical benefits.

Shaolin Wahnam's official policy on the teaching of sitting meditation is as follows:

1. We do not teach sitting meditation in our standard syllabi.
    2. If there is a special need, it may be taught by those qualified to do so with Sifu Wong's approval.

Later, when the time is right, sitting meditation may be introduced officially into our standard syllabi, although at a lower level.
    Hubert Razack
    www.shaolinwahnam.fr
    www.sourireducoeur.fr

Thank you Siheng for posting this intersting thread. It is very important for us all to read the Shaolin Wahnam Official Policy On Sitting Meditation carefully and more importantly to follow Sifu's exact instructions directly.

When Sifu tells us at every Chi Kung course not to practice at mid-day as the energy levels are too high at that time, we simply follow the Masters instruction.

Some may ask why we should follow exactly? The answer is very simple "It is important that we do not try to be smarter than the Master". Sifu is at a much higher level than all of us and we respect his wisdom that he openly shares.

Best wishes to all and happy training
    Mark

Comment

Thank you Hubert Siheng for posting this.

This is very useful information.
      Jason Yap

修身

Comment

We're so lucky

Dear Hubert Sisuk,

As always, I thank you from the heart .

Its incredible, I repeat "INCREDIBLE" that many of us have achieved 1 to 7 from the list below from "standing meditation" in a very short period of time.

1. To be relaxed.
        2. To have a focused mind.
        3. To have mental clarity and freshness.
        4. To have inner peace.
        5. To cultivate spiritually.
        6. To acquire psychic powers.
        7. To attain satori or spiritual awakenings.
        8. To return to God, to merge with Tao or to attain Enlightenment.

Thank you Sigung.

Thank you Hubert Sisuk.

Best wishes

Martin

PS - I guess (8) will take substantially longer. But why rush home when the journey is so wonderful .

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Do View Post
          But why rush home when the journey is so wonderful .
          Well put, Martin. I like that!

Comment

Great thread Hubert!

I think it's good for everybody at Shaolin Wahnam to know the School's exact policy. And it is true that we should all respect Sigungs advice and that standing meditation is more than adequate for attaining a high meditation level. Afterall, the body doesn't make any difference, in truth there's only the mind.

All the best

Hendrik

p.s. j'espère qu'on se voit un de ces jours!

Comment

Dear Hubert Sisook,

I'm glad you posted this. I had it on my mind for some time, because I am particularly fond of practising Kai Tai Sipak's mediation teaching. At the same time, I was always aware of Sigung's views on practicing sitting meditation.

Fortunately for me, in an answer to one of my questions some years ago, Sigung explained that where there was a difference in instruction between himself and one of the senior instructors such as Kai Tai Sipak, I was free to choose what I preferred. Having this answer meant I never had to worry about the apparent contradiction in teaching, so I practice both.

However, thanks to your post it is now clear that there never was any contradiction in the first place (interestingly this is usually how things turn out - it is only my limited understanding at the time that suggests there was a contradiction).

Best wishes,
              Last edited by George; 15 June 2009, 11:45 AM.
              George / Юра
              Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

you know every time, when I try to sit and clear mind, I always feel sleep.
                I like Muay Thai Gym

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

By chance I found this interesting thread. It is from some years ago but I think that it comes very handy now that Sifu is answering a Q & A series on Wuji Stance or Standing Meditation.

Maybe we can use this thread to discuss openly about Standing Meditation, Sitting meditation (on a chair) and Sitting Meditation (on a Lotus or Half Lotus position).

I will share my experiences on the subject.

I think that I tried a couple of times Sitting Meditation on a Half Lotus position. I believe that this was before I regularly practiced the beautiful Arts from Shaolin Wahnam. I remember that it was incredibly hard and made me feel very stressed and anxious. I am quite sure that I wasn't practicing correctly.

At the Zen Intensive Course, I learned Sitting Meditation (on a chair) with Sifu. I believe that I have practiced Sitting Meditation on a chair only once or twice after the course just to check if I was remembering correctly how to do it.

Learning Sitting Meditation (on a chair) from Sifu was a really beautiful experience. I also must add that it was really deep and powerful and achieved unbelievable results in a very short time. The mental clarity achieved was absolutely spectacular. It is then, with that mental clarity, that I also felt that Sitting Meditation, even if it was on a chair, was too much for me. I clearly felt that I was not ready for it.

I personally enjoy more Standing Meditation and I believe I get better results for my level of development and I feel it much safer that Sitting Meditation.

What are your thoughts / experiences with Standing Meditation, Sitting Meditation on a chair and Sitting Meditation on a Lotus / Half Lotus position? I would really love the read about your experiences.

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

This is a very interesting subject, and my progression of preferences has probably been a little strange.

At first, only Standing Meditation was enjoyable to me. This period lasted for about 8 years or so.

Next, I requested assistance from Guan Shi Yin Pu Sa to get my wife and I out of a place with very nasty energy and what felt like it was a black whole because we could not seem to leave.

Her response was to flood me with energy, and tell me to sit in Golden Bridge and the Half Lotus. I was very resistant to both of these, probably as a result of the entity at that location.

Then, we got the tapestry and the statue of Guan Shi Yin Pu Sa, along with a bunch of pictures of holy sites and made a meditation room. Everything shifted, and the money became easier, the Seated meditation became enjoyable, and Golden Bridge became necessary, or without doing anything I'd get excess energy symptoms.

After a few years of this, we moved. Guan Shi Yin Pu Sa became less noticeable in my life, and in her place, I feel the Buddha, and sometimes Adiyogi Shiva.

Slowly, the Golden Bridge has become not as necessary, but Half Lotus has become so comfortable and enjoyable that when I am not meditating, I'm usually sitting that way (or Seiza, or regular cross legged).

Now, I only purposely use Half Lotus for meditation when consecrating holy items, or advising someone who has sought me out, as it is helpful for reaching cosmic consciousness while being here. Even now, I don't sit for meditation purposes for more than a few minutes.

Comment

Indeed, I have been following this official policy all these years and have not been practising Sitting Meditation. Perhaps it is because I have never had the aim of #7, much less #8, but just staying healthy and working on mental clarity are more than enough to keep me busy. But since the physical requirements for the Full Lotus posture are easy for me to achieve, I thought it would be a waste not to practice the posture. Re-reading these posts again, I realise that there is no contradiction between the official policy and the practice of the Full and Half Lotus postures, since i can practice Sitting Meditation at a lower level anyway, and as a form of a variation of the posture, much like how we can work on our qi flow with varied patterns.
                      百德以孝为先
                      Persevere in correct practice

Comment

Thank you all for contributing to this thread. I am sure that many people will benefit from it.

I would also like to use this opportunity for sharing an inspiring answer that Sifu gave in another Q & A series regarding "Standing and Sitting Meditation".

In the last part of the answer Sifu shares an important reason why he does not teach sitting meditation as part of our regular Syllabus. Sifu also mentions in his autobiography an incident related with his sitting meditation practice. Does anyone know which one is it?:

Question 12

In our daily practice, Shaolin Cosmos Qigong focuses on standing meditation to experience Zen. Where and when does sitting meditation come into the practice?

HB Yeang

Answer

"In my early years of teaching, like at the Shaolin Wahnam Association in Sungai Petani in the 1980s. I taught sitting meditation as part of the Shaolin Kungfu syllabus. At that time, we practiced six nights a week, and every night we concluded our training session with sitting meditation.

But over the years, my teaching methodology has improved beyond recognition. Shaolin Wahnam students today (2012) will be glad to know that they can benefit from my teaching in a few days what my early students would need a year! It is hard to believe but it is true.

This does not mean that modern students are as accomplished in a few days as my early students were in one year. This is a different issue. But it means that, for example, in a few days modern students not only have learnt the techniques to be physically and mentally relaxed as well as to attain a one-pointed mind but also have acquired the skills to do so on their own, whereas my early students would take a year.

As another example, modern students attending my intensive courses, can generate a chi flow within half an hour, but my early students at the Shaolin Wahnam Association would need more than a year.

Being relaxed, attaining a one-pointed mind and generating a chi flow are basic skills. To overcome pain and illness, or develop internal force and combat efficiency, modern students still have to practice like my early students did. But with an excellent start, and if all other things were equal, modern students should attain desired results sooner than early students.

Nevertheless, there is at least one factor that is different. Early students practiced six times a week in my presence. Modern students practice on their own, with periodical supervision from me or our certified instructors.

Returning to your question, the reason we do not teach sitting meditation in our school now is because we can achieve the intended results in a much shorter time and in a more pleasant and less risky manner using standing meditation than using sitting meditation.

We are very clear about our philosophy. We practice for practical benefits, not to impress others. If we can get benefits in a shorter time and in a more pleasant and less risky manner using standing meditation, it would be a mockery of our philosophy to attempt sitting meditation.

The hallmark of sitting meditation is achieving the highest attainment any being can attain, i.e. attaining Enlightenment or returning to God the Holy Spirit. It is pertinent for us to remember that ours is a chi kung and kungfu school, dedicated to bringing good health, vitality, longevity, mental freshness and spiritual joys, as well as combat efficiency for those who practice kungfu, to deserving students irrespective of race, culture and religion. Ours is not a temple or spiritual institution intended to train aspirants to attain Enlightenment or return to God the Holy Spirit.

It is true that many of our students have spiritual experiences, like expanding into the Cosmos, richer than those who specially cultivate in temples or other spiritual institutions, but this is our bonus, not a stated aim.

There is another important reason why I do not teach sitting meditation as part of our regular syllabus. Years ago when I practiced sitting meditation regularly, I attained such miraculous powers that although I was sure I would not abuse them, I was wise enough to abandon the practice so as not to burden myself with the risk of possible abuse no matter how small the probability could be. To teach sitting meditation to students exposing them to such risk would be irresponsible.

Nevertheless, things may change in future. At first I did not intend to teach Zen, but now, due to expedient needs, I am conducting Zen courses occasionally. In these Zen courses I sometimes teach sitting meditation, not the one in lotus position you have in mind, but in sitting upright on a seat, which is of a much lower level. In future, as things change I may teach sitting meditation in a lotus position if the need arises". - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Answer Source

Santi

Comment

I would like to share in this thread another inspiring answer that Sifu has given regarding Sitting Meditation. Please find it below:

Question

"Wasn’t Immortal Zhang San Feng referring to sitting meditation when he wrote "not miss hit-sittng" on the Treatise?

Why and how did you find becoming so powerful to be a burden to yourself and others?" - Sifu Angel Guillermo, Shaolin Wahnam Puerto Ricue
                          Answer

"Yes, the great Zhang San Feng was referring to sitting meditation in a lotus position when he mentioned “hit-sitting” in the Treatise.

“Hit-sitting” was my literal translation. In Romanized Chinese it is “da zuo”.
                          It means sitting in a lotus position or a semi-lotus position in spiritual cultivation. Sitting meditation is the paramount path to attaining the Great Void.

I practiced sitting meditation every night, and I became very powerful. One day while waiting in a bank I tried to test my mind power. I chose a Malay gentleman whom I believed would not have practiced meditation formally.

I used my mind to will him to stand up, walk three steps to his right side, look around, walk to the entrance of the bank, walk away to his left side so that he could not be visible from where I was waiting, walk back to the entrance and walk to the place where he was sitting, stand there for some time, stretch his left ear with his right hand, then sit down.

These were not exactly the things I asked him to do with my mind, but it gave a good picture. Imagine my utter surprise that he did exactly what I asked him to do! I blessed him and decided not to practice sitting meditation any more.

My mind became so powerful. I knew that I would never abuse this mind power, but I did not want to teach others to have the possibility of this burden.

The above episode is mentioned in my autobiography, “The Way of the Master”. Have fun finding out where it occurs and reading it". - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Answer Source

Santi

Comment

Working...
                          X