Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musashi

Dear Alex
    The Musashi book is a popular and rollicking tale of one of Japan's great cultural heroes that has been the basis of many TV and film adaptations. Not that much was actually known about Musashi's life, but this book offers a powerful fictionalised account. You may also want to read the book attributed to Musashi "Go Rin No Sho" or "The Book of Five Rings". A profound, yet practical text for any martial artist. See also other comments from elsewhere in this discussion forum http://www.wongkiewkit.com/forum/sho...ght=book+rings

Oh, and what am I reading at present? A few weeks ago I rediscovered a favourite book from nearly twenty years ago. Sometimes, a book goes missing and then it reappears at the right time - many years later. "The Art of Peace": a collection of poetic quotes from Uesheba Morihei, the Twentieth Century founder of aikido. Regarded as a great martial artist and energy master, he was also a deeply spiritual man known for some very complex, esoteric writings. This collection of quotes is beautifully accessible and may well be described as "simple, direct and effective".

The title of the book was presumably selected by the editor to counterpoint Sun Tzu's "Art of War". Elsewhere, I recall Sifu explaining that the "Art of War" title was a slightly inaccurate translation of the original Chinese title and maybe "The Art of the Warrior" might be more suitable.

Enjoy, Michael

Comment

Dear Family,

I believe that reading is good.
      But practice is more important.
      Therefore I aim to practice more than to read.
      And I do that.

At the moment I enjoy Thich Nhat Hanh´s comment on The Heart Sutra and some exceptions of Shobogenzo by Dogen Kenji.

Kodo Sawaki, the great Zen master, mentioned once, that the whole Shobogenzo is just a result of practice.
      In Shobogenzo Dogen is writing about his practice.

As a result of my own experience, I feel that practice simply brings much more benefits than reading. Although reading (of course) benefits as well
      But be aware of keeping the balance

Kindest regards!
      Enjoy yourselves
      Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
      Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
      http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
      http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
      http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Hi all,

John Steinbeck The Grapes of Wrath.

Still At It,

Charles
        -nice! One of the greats. I may have mentioned before, but as far as fiction is concerned, for me Steinbeck is numero Uno. Enjoy Sisook.

Dave.

P.S. I'm currently reading Henning Mankell, Star Wars novels ( a guilty pleasure) and Boris Akunin. Not all simultaneously of course
        'There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be...'
        -John Lennon

Comment

Zhuangzi

...again :-)
          Pavel Macek Sifu

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anton S. View Post
            I believe that reading is good.
            But practice is more important.
            Therefore I aim to practice more than to read.
            And I do that.
            You are right, Anton - but sometimes reading may change life. If I had not read Sifu's "The art of Chi Kung" about 10 years ago, and re-read it 1 1/2 years ago, and then began to practice regularly from his book, and then visited a course with Sifu, and then found my instructor ... then I had missed really a lot.

Just now I finished Sifu's wonderful book on Chinese Medicine. It took me half a year to come through - and I think I have to re-read parts of it again because I simply did not remember too much of this great but complicated subject. But, gladly, Irina makes a German translation!

Viele Gruesse,
            confermezza
            ... alles, alles, alles ist doch auf Liebe aufgebaut ..." (Ellen Auerbach, 1997)

Comment

All Thich Nhat Hanh's books are wonderful. Like Anton, I especially enjoy 'Heart Sutra' by this Venerable master.

One book that really stroke a cord in me was 'The Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle.

Currently I am reading again my school books on Chinese Medicine.

I also recommend 'Opening the Dragon Gate'. With this book, you'll know that a small pain in the shoulder or an emotional cleansing are just peanuts compared to what you can really go through.

Best,

Maxime

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

Currently I am reading "The Tao of Physics", certainly worth a read if you have studied physics.

Best wishes
                Mark

Comment

and if you have studied Tao

Sorry Mark couldn't resist

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

With the wood in for the winter, I have more time to read:

Jim Harrison's new novella collection The Farmer's Daughter
                    Fernando Pessoa
                    Gary Snyder
                    Ko Un Ten Thousand Lives
                    Gertrude Stein Stanzas in Meditation
                    Mao Tsetung Poems
                    David Markson This is Not a Novel

&cetera

And of course, Anton, I'm sure all Wahnam students would agree that practice is more important than reading.

Yes, Dave, Steinbeck is truly great. I enjoyed every page of The Grapes

And, RD, the titles alone are wonderful.

Happy Reading, All.

Firesidely Yours,

Chas.
                    Charles David Chalmers
                    Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Agar View Post
                      Dear Alex
                      The Musashi book is a popular and rollicking tale of one of Japan's great cultural heroes that has been the basis of many TV and film adaptations. Not that much was actually known about Musashi's life, but this book offers a powerful fictionalised account. You may also want to read the book attributed to Musashi "Go Rin No Sho" or "The Book of Five Rings". A profound, yet practical text for any martial artist. See also other comments from elsewhere in this discussion forum http://www.wongkiewkit.com/forum/sho...ght=book+rings
                      Thank you, Michael!

I am enjoying it and have been interested in reading his "Book of Five Rings", so thank you for the extra encouragement! The book refers to "The Art of War" that I've known about before and I'm tempted to pick that up, as well.

Comment

Dear all,

At the moment, I am into a few books.

I just found a copy of An Introduction to Zen Buddhism by Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki with a neat intro from Carl Jung. I really like the way he writes about the subject, very easy to understand. Though I have yet to read Wong Kiew Kit's Complete Book of Zen, which I'm sure is wonderful, based on his other books I have read.

I also recently bought Between Heaven and Earth: A Guide to Chinese Medicine, by Harriet Beinfield and Efrem Korngold. I haven't read much of it yet, but it gives a lot of background and seems like it will be a good read for someone like me who doesn't know a lot, but is interested to learn more.

I've been working with plants a lot lately and I can't really say how truly scientific this book is, (it claims plants are sentient; I don't necessarily disagree ) but I know there is some truth to what is being said about the connection between humans and plants, or just plants and the entire cosmos in general. The book is called: The Secret Life of Plants by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird.

(fun fact: apparently the book was used as the basis for a documentary by the same name and a stevie wonder album that served as the soundtrack for the documentary titled "journey through the secret life of plants"
                        http://youtu.be/hoRVcR-9VEQ)

Blessings to all,
                        Vicky

Comment

I have no open books at the moment. Seems quite sad now I think of it. I should find some to read in the greenhouse once I'm caught up with spring lol.

I tend to read fiction mostly - From a kid I read Duncton Chronicles, Lion Witch and Wardrobe, Lord of the Rings, The Magician series etc.

Not read much lately though.

I don't tend to like factual books / history much. Tends to sadden me if anything.

Comment

Hi Simon,

You have certainly dug up an old thread. It was fun rereading it.

Good luck with your gardening!

Yours,

Charles
                            Charles David Chalmers
                            Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Even I'm reading "buddhism for dummies"

Comment

Working...
                              X