No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now I am focusing on penetrating the wisdom of the Nei P'ien, the Kan Ying P'ien and the Upanishads.
    Happiness and evil do not come spontaneously; it is men who bring them upon themselves. The consequences of virtue and vice follow each just as the shadow follows the form. Advance in all that is in harmony with the right; retreat from everything opposed to it. - Kan Ying Pien (Book of Recompenses)

OM TATHAGATA OM TATHAGATA OM TATHAGATA OM TATHAGATA OM TATHAGATA

Do no evil; do all good; cultivate mind; this is the teaching of all the Buddhas

Comment

Hi Niall,

Thanks for contributing to this thread. As I said at the outset, I really am curious about what our great school of scholars has on the go.

Jonathan Sacks is one author I have been meaning to read. I was always struck by the title, The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat (is that right?)

I read Angry White Pyjamas some years ago and was struck by how violent and painful the training was. It certainly makes me thankful (as always) to be training the way that we do. Nevertheless, it was certainly an interesting read.

While I was last in Malaysia, I had the rip-roaring good pleasure to read a book by Bill Bryson--Notes from a Small Island--about his travels in the UK. He is one funny man. I left the book in the guesthouse beside Soon Tuck Woi Koon. Perhaps one of us will find it there.

And of course I am always dipping into one of your Sigung's books: "Four Gates trains bridges and stances."

The last thing I read was a poem by my recent favorite Jim Harrison, from his book Saving Daylight:

from "Becoming"

Nowhere is it the same place as yesterday
      None of us is the same person as yesterday.
      We finally die from the exhaustion of becoming.
      This downward cellular jubilance is shared
      by the wind, bugs, birds, bears and rivers,
      and perhaps the black holes in galactic space

He is by far my favorite one-eyed Zen lunatic. I hope that some of you will be compelled to check out his work.

As Ever,

Charles
      Charles David Chalmers
      Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Hi Luakagon,

The fact that you are reading these spiritual texts suggests to me that you must have good spiritual roots. May you enjoy spiritual understanding and joy.

Yours,

Charles
        Charles David Chalmers
        Brunei Darussalam

Comment

ah, where to begin...

Hi all,

Today I finished reading 'The Persian Boy', by Mary Renault, which was one of my girlfriend's favourites when she was younger. It's the second book in a trilogy about Alexander the Great, and highly entertaining. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I even watched Oliver Stone's movie again, which didn't seem so bad second time around, although it was still pretty bad (why all of the Irish accents for Macedonians Ollie?).

Prior to that I read 'Siddartha', by Herman Hesse and would strongly recommend it to anyone, lots of insightful delights to be found there.

Before that I read a book which I have to say has become one of my favourites to date, and would recommend to anyone and everyone, particularly Charles Siheng as he recently enjoyed a book by the same author:
          'A Short History of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson.
          I had wanted to read this book for a long time, finally got around to it and it really blew my mind. On every page there are at least 3 or 4 facts about our past, the world we live in, nature or the universe at large that really make you go 'My GOD!' A truly fascinating book written with a good dose of humour generously sprinkled throughout. One I will be rereading and sharing with my kids in the future (when I have them of course!).

As for Oliver Sacks and 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat', this book was on my mother's bookshelf when she was studying physchology back in the day. A remarkable man and true humanitarian, see the movie 'Awakenings' for Robin Williams' portrayal of the good doctor.

In parting, let me share a few of my all-time favourite novels with you:

'Cannery Row'-John Steinbeck, truly my favourite author- READ ANYTHING BY THIS MAN!;

'One Hundred Years of Solitude'- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, words fail me in describing this one, but a collossus of a novel;

'10,000 Miles Without a Cloud'- Sun Shuyun, fascinating and humbling account of the author's attempt to retrace the steps of the mighty monk Xuanzang, who travelled to India during the 7th or 8th century AD to bring back and translate buddhist scriptures to China. Ok, so this one isn't a novel, but hey- go dig it anyway!

Well that's all for now, there's so many amazing books out there it's hard to narrow it down to just a few, but those were off the top of my head.

Happy reading you guys and gals,
          Dave, a.k.a. 'The Reader'.
          Last edited by Dave; 6 April 2009, 02:30 PM. Reason: typo
          'There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be...'
          -John Lennon

Comment

I like reading!

Charles/Dave,

good to get your comments. Like the tea thread this just opens up an untold wealth of info. Great!

10,000 miles seems a popular book. Must read it someday soon.

In terms of my favourite books Rob Roy by W H Murray, Anything by George Macdonald Fraser, especially The candlemass Road.

I enjoyed Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond and also the books by Malcolm McDowell are all very interesting. Anything which changes my view of the world I find fascinating.

Looking forward to your reccommendations.

Cheerio

"The first step in learning is respect for the teacher"

Comment

Now its a favorite books thread? That could get a lot longer

For starters:
              The Wisdom of Laotse, a very old book I found at the thrift shop. It has a translation of the Tao Te Ching side by side with accompanying Chuang-tzu writings.

Healing with Whole Foods, 700+ page compendium of the value of whole foods and how to use them for rejuvenation and rebalancing. Cons: in my opinion goes too (unrealistically/unhealthfully) far in the direction of veganism. Just ignore that part, and it is a really really good book, teaching a lot about Chinese Medicine theory and how food fits into that.

The Gate of Paradise: Secrets of Andean Shamanism, no one's read this book on the planet besides me :P Hehe, I kid, but it is not a book you'll find at the library, you'd have to order from Amazon. It is a personal expressive work of a Andean shaman. By expressive work I mean that it reads like the poetic expression of the author. He doesn't tell you stuff, somehow he gets you to FEEL it. Really cool book.

More to come...
              "Take a moment to feel how wonderful it feels just to be alive."
              - Sifu

Comment

Thanks, all, for your contributions. As you may have guessed I love reading, and love to talk, and read, about books.

Dave,

I will keep my eyes open for a copy of Bryson's Short History. After I read it I will give it to my mother who shares my sense of humour.

I will also put some Steinbeck on my bedside table, since I've decided to begin reading American classics. Of Mice and Men is part of our school curriculum, so perhaps I'll start by reading that.

10,000 Miles also sounds like it fits in nicely with my reading interests: back and forth between America and China, then down to South East Asia to learn about Buddhism.

Niall,

I will also keep a reader's eye out for those books you mentioned. No doubt one of them will soon appear on a shelf near me.

Alex Sihing,

Some years ago I spent quite a bit of time with Pitchford's Healing with Whole Foods. It's one of the books that we brought to China with us. I've been meaning to browse it again. Thanks for the reminder.

My update:

This morning I finished How to Be a Canadian a goofy bit of satire by the brothers Ferguson. 'Nuff said.

Beside the computer as I write: Style: Ten Lessons in Clarity and Grace by Joseph M. Williams.

This one I can open at random and find something wonderful: 180 Extraordinary Poems for Everyday edited by Billy Collins. I think it a great shame that more literate people do not enjoy poetry, but this anthology (and its sequel) could go a long way to rekindle people's interest. The poems are specially chosen for their "accessability" and contemporary idiom and general appeal.

I did finally finish rereading Catcher in the Rye and feel that there is hope for Holden.

I then moved on to another classic American book Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson. He had originally planned to call it The Book of Grotesques but his publisher talked him out of it. It's a collection of stories, portraits of people in small town USA in the beginning of the 20th century.

I have been peeking over my wife's shoulder, rereading a book I insisted she read, The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It's a marvellous book. I don't want to say too much about it, though; you need to be surprised. McCarthy is nothing short of a true genius. This book won the Pulitzer prize two years ago, and the movie version will be coming out soon. Don't think about seeing the movie without reading the book first.

Before bed tonight I will reread something from Jim Harrison's Saving Daylight in anticipation of his new book of poems that is being released next month.

Here is one I love:

The Bear

When my propane ran out
                when I was gone and the food
                thawed in the freezer I grieved
                over the five pounds of melted squid,
                but then a big gaunt bear arrived
                and feasted on the garbage, a few tentacles
                left in the grass, purplish white worms.
                O bear, now that you have tasted the ocean
                I hope your dreamlife contains the whales
                I've seen, that one in Humboldt current
                basking on the surface who seemed to watch
                the seabirds wheeling around her head.

By the way, what are you reading?

Yours,

Charles
                Charles David Chalmers
                Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Hello Charles et al,

I love reading! And I will be eternally grateful to my old headmaster who when I was 8 stoked the fire within a very poor reader. A fire that with his encouragement and support has become an raging inferno!

Currently on my reading list:

The Miracle Self - Paul Gorman: I consider this a dangerous book, it's turned on their heads many of beliefs I had about faith and how the world works. Not for the faint hearted
                  The 4 Hour Work Week - Timothy Ferris: I love this guy, his blog is great as well. So far it's really opened my eyes to how much time I waste with e-mails and it's encouraged me to go on an information fast - great stuff.
                  Trip Wire - Lee Child: I always like to have some fiction in the mix. Lee Child has been a recent introduction to me, but I love his work. Clive Cussler still rules the roost in my opinion as the 'Grandmaster of Adventure'

And need less to say that every time I write anything on the Shaolin Arts ALL of Sifu's books are constantly read and re-read.

Wow, I think this might become my favourite thread. I just wish I had more time to read. I remember glorious days in my youth were the whole day would be spent reading (in between quick pit stops for food and the washroom!). I've already informed Clare that for my birthday I want to spend the whole day in bed reading LOL

Feed your brain

Marcus

Comment

Hi all,

To quote a saying "no self-no problem" here books on the ego

- "I am That" by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj , recorded talks
                    - "A New Earth" by Eckhardt Tolle
                    -"Tag für Tag ein guter Tag" by Kodo Sawaki (i am not sure if there is a english translation,cound not find one at amazon)

"The Glass Bead Game: Magister Ludi a Novel" by Hermann Hesse,because of my english here the description from amazon:
                    Set in the 23rd century, The Glass Bead Game is the story of Joseph Knecht, who has been raised in Castalia, the remote place his society has provided for the intellectual elite to grow and flourish. Since childhood, Knecht has been consumed with mastering the Glass Bead Game, which requires a synthesis of aesthetics and scientific arts, such as mathematics, music, logic, and philosophy, which he achieves in adulthood, becoming a Magister Ludi (Master of the Game).
                    In my opinion beside "Siddhartha" the best book of Hermann Hesse.

"The Universe Is a Green Dragon" by Brian Swimme
                    the book is written as a dialog between a "teacher" and a "student" about the universe and mankind.Its a great mix of science and spirituality presented with extraordinary ideas and comparisons.Worth reading.

"The Complete Essays" by Michel de Montaigne
                    The great range of themes covered by a single human is just unbelievable although (or because of) he lived in the 16th century.

"The Creature from Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin about the monetary system not covered by mass media.

greets
                    robert

Comment

Dear all,

Thank you all for sharing this great list of books. Writing up the titles in my bookshelf would take a while, thus I am starting with those I am currently reading:

John Beck/Mitchell Wade (2006), The Kids are alright. How the Gamer Generation changes the workplace.
                      - A fascinating book about how the game culture has created a generation of employees with unique attributes and skills. Definitely worth a reading if you are interested in management, leadership or "generation" differences.

Master Shen-Yen (2002), The Sword of Wisdom, A Commentary on the Song of Enlightenment
                      - Master Shen-Yen comments this famous Chan text... it is my "slow" book, means read little and take the time to digest it .

Sigung's Chi Kung for Health and Vitality (1997) - is the third book I am currently reading or better re-reading. It was the book that got me started and from which I practiced for about two month, before getting a chance to learn directly from my Sifu. Now almost 3 years later I enjoy reading it once more and of course I am discovering many new pearls.

Andrea
                      Last edited by Andrea; 30 April 2009, 11:38 PM.
                      Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                      Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Current Readings and Recommendations

Oooo....thread about books

Current Readings
                        Cutting through Spiritual Materialism from Chogyam Trungpa, who writes with much mental clarity. Another great book of him is Shambhala: The sacred path of the warrior.

I am also reading through some of the free books from the Kek Lok Si temple in Penang, which is always a highlight of any tour of mine to Penang. For some reason, after a course I am reading a lot about buddhism. Even if I go on the internet I end up on wikipedia studying the 12 nidanas.

Favorites
                        Some all time favorites, especially for people who want to apply a more conscious approach to their work is
                        Conscious Business from Fred Kofman. This is such a great book that I made a summary of it, so that people who don't have the time to read the whole, as least get part of the insights. Actually, if you google "conscious business summary" you get my summary in the first page!

"A brief history of everything" or "a theory of everything" from philosopher Ken Wilber. I think Ken Wilber has done a great job at integrating an immense amount of human wisdom and knowledge into a coherent framework. This is the book that made me and my friends start our own company Realize! As we thought doing business is this holistic manner would just be soo much better for the world.

Further recommendations

From direct experience I would also recommened the following books others mentioned:
                        Siddharta
                        A short History of everything
                        I Am That
                        the Four Hour Workweek (absolutely as promising as it's title - made me stay an extra week in Costa Rica to work on my laptop from the Beach )

Enjoy,

Jeroen

Comment

It's funny (or is it?), but the more I advance in my internal training the less I desire to read.

Now my reading habit has become closely related to the label below the fire buttons in public places:

' Use Only In Case Of Emergency'.

Enjoying the Void,

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

Originally posted by Maxime View Post
                            It's funny (or is it?), but the more I advance in my internal training the less I desire to read.

Now my reading habit has become closely related to the label below the fire buttons in public places:

' Use Only In Case Of Emergency'.

Enjoying the Void,
                            I like this, Sisook!

P.S. "Are you sure?"
                            Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
                            Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
                            http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
                            http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
                            http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Melange

Everyone,

Thank you for all of your contributions! I'm sure that your references and recommendations will be valuable for many people. I'm going to have to start a notebook to keep track of all the authors and titles being mentioned.

Cher Maxime,

I have experienced something similar with music. I still love music more than ever, but have little inclination to listen more than once a week or so. Sometimes not even then. I have also gone for long periods without reading.

Now, however, my appetite seems enormous. Of course, my professional duties also require that I read extensively, so I guess I have just taken the plunge.

My Latest:

Last week I started Autobiography of Red by Canadian poet and classical scholar Anne Carson. She is one of the most inventive and interesting writers I have ever read--a disciple of the towering Gertrude Stein.
                              The book is not so dark as it is red. A story about a little red monster coming of age, and eventually slain by Herakles.

Two days ago I found in our library, Shifu, You'll Do Anything For a Laugh by Mo Yan, recipient of China's most prestigious literary award. These stories offer great entertainment as well as insight into both modern and traditional Chinese culture.

And tonight, I picked up Richard Brautigan's The Abortion. I am, as always, deeply amused by his unusual use of metaphor and his control of tone.

In response to a number of posters here, I may have to reread some Hermann Hesse. Hopefully Siddhartha is in our library.

Happy Reading,

Charles
                              Charles David Chalmers
                              Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Commendable

Dear Family and Friends,

It's been almost a month since I posted on this thread. Surely some of you must be very curious to know what I have been reading, as I am curious about what you have been reading.

After Mo Yan's Shifu, You'll Do Anything for a Laugh, I had to go out and devour two more by him: Red Sorghum and The Garlic Ballads. I will not say too much about these novels, but there is a good reason why he is so celebrated in China. I'm glad that they have been so ably translated, and will certainly look into more of his work.

Just this morning, I woke up, rolled over and read a couple of Cold Mountain's poems. Nothing like a little buddhist wisdom in the morning. A wonderful translation and annotation by Red Pine.

Later, just after my practice, I consulted with Sifu Marcus Santer's wonderful book, Shaolin Chi Kung. I especially love the pictures which show the different phases on the exercises. Utterly commendable!

That's all for now.

What are you reading?

Yours,

Charles
                                Charles David Chalmers
                                Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Working...
                                X