Ip Man (Yip Man) Movie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone,

So I just watched this movie last night and really was not impressed! I felt the students were disrespectful, chinese martial arts and martial arts culture were misrepresented, and the fight scenes did not make sense as the boxer was wearing pillows on his hands while everyone fighting him was bare knuckle....
    It is nice to hear from Sifu that the British werent as bad back then as they were portrayed in the movie. I also felt Ip Man was portrayed as weak when it came to the way his students treated him with disrespect, though I highly doubt that was really the case.
    All in all I much preferred the first movie.

Regards,
    Phil

Comment

On a side note, I just saw a much much better kung fu movie called True Legend. I highly recommend it!

Comment

In 2011 there will be another Ip Man movie, directed by the famous Wong Kar Wai (In the Mood for Love, 2046). The title of the movie will be "The Grandmaster". Ip Man is played by Tony Leung Chiu Wai (In the Mood for Love, 2046, Hero, Red Cliff 1+2). He has no martial arts background but the fact that he is probably the best and most versatile actor in Hong Kong (and Asia) and that he put in a lot of effort in Wing Chun training (he even broke his arm during training) make big hopes!

But this alone is not what's getting me excited. I'm looking foward to it beause part of the fights will be choreographed by Lau Kar Lueng Sifu, THE GOD of kung fu choreography! For those who do not know him, he did, whitout any doubts, the best kung fu choreographies back in the Golden Age of kung fu movie, in the 60' and 70'. His kung fu is real Hoong Ka kung fu as he is a 3rd generation successor of the famous Wong Fei Hung.

Comment

The Ip Man prequel just opened in Asia, and like I said earlier, I think it is much better than the first two. I have not actually watched the movie yet but I have seen 20 minutes worth of footage, which is actually quite enough. Will post my review once I get my hands on the DVD version.

As for the other Ip Man movie by Tony Leung, I have a little confession - I actually know one of the main martial arts choreographers, and found out about many interesting tidbits. But I am sworn to secrecy and cannot share on a public forum. Still, when I meet any of you in person, I will share them with you
          百德以孝为先
          Persevere in correct practice

Comment

Oh Wuji Siheng, I'm eager to know these tidbits

Comment

Hi Family,
              I got the DVD for Yip Man "A Legend is Born" and just finished. To be blunt the story was not very good and except for three fight scenes (highlight being the fight with the real son of Ip Man, Ip Chun) it isn't really worth watching unfortunately.

At least with the second movie, I think that the director did a good job with emotional build up and a lot of people seemed to enjoy the final fight in the movie theater. It was equivalent to watching your favorite basketball team make the winning shot in a packed audience.

When I heard about "The Grandmaster" with Tony Leung, I really wasn't moved to check it out. One, because I'm not a big Tony Leung fan (I think Andy Lau is cooler and I admit I'm really skeptical of his ability for the role) and two, I never liked Wong Kar Wai's dramatic, moody films.
              But Sifu Lau Kar Leung on the other hand...

I will actually go out of my way to watch that movie now.

I saw "True Legend" as well which is very loosely based on Beggar Su's life. To be honest I really enjoyed the first part especially the awesome five poison palm, but the second part of the movie especially the final fight seemed a bit of a let down for me.

On a side note: Happy Training to all my Wahnam family.

Ray
              "Om"

I pay homage to all the great masters of the past and the present

Comment

Thanks for your opinion.

Paulo Gouveia

Comment

Originally posted by Zhang Wuji View Post
                  As for the other Ip Man movie by Tony Leung, I have a little confession - I actually know one of the main martial arts choreographers, and found out about many interesting tidbits. But I am sworn to secrecy and cannot share on a public forum. Still, when I meet any of you in person, I will share them with you
                  Finally! It is out of the closet:
                  一代宗师Trailer
                  百德以孝为先

Comment

Originally posted by Zhang Wuji View Post
                    Finally! It is out of the closet:
                    一代宗师Trailer

Did...he really kick a carriage across the street and into someone?

My impression of the man who leaps at about 0:42: "Stairs are for mere mortals!"

Sounds like my kind of movie!
                    I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

This movie was such a disappointment!!

Comment

The movie 一代宗师 or "The Grandmaster" has just been released in China and parts of Asia. As I wrote earlier, I know one of the main martial arts choreographer who instructed not one but two of the stars. The choreographer was amazed at the finished "product" - the wonders of cinematic technology. The actors and actresses had some martial background but were certainly not masters. But on screen ,they sure looked the part.

I am too busy to go to the cinema these few weeks, but once i get the chance, i will go and then write a review.
                        百德以孝为先

Comment

I'll be sure to check it out as i'm a huge fan of kung fu movies especially the shaw brothers in general but there movies are a bit played out . As for the movie "The Grandmaster" do they have a translated version of the film or subtitles if optional?

Comment

Hi all,

The choreographer was amazed at the finished "product" - the wonders of cinematic technology. The actors and actresses had some martial background but were certainly not masters. But on screen ,they sure looked the part.
                            Yes, movies are movies! Although I´m not a big fan of martial arts films, I know that editing technology can make something look much better than it it really is.

Greetings,
                            Daniel Pérez
                            http://www.shaolinbcn.es

Comment

I finally caught the movie. I am ambivalent about it, really.
                              I found the treatment of the kungfu philosophy excellent where the director-producer devoted scenes to it. However, I felt a full 30 minutes out of 120 were wasted on the so-called arty-farty aspects.

I have been reliably told that there are at least 4 hours of full action scenes which the director cut out to make sure the movie was not 4 hours longer. Well, he could have cut out more than 30 minutes of needless slow-motion and arty trash. As it is, all the actors and actresses in the movie have voiced their displeasure at how liberally he cut out their action scenes, for which they took several retakes in the worst weather conditions and even suffered major injuries. If there were a valid reason for the cruel editing, they may have accepted that as the director's perogative. However, even as a member of the audience, I can see that he cut out their blood, sweat and tears in return for scenes which are both annoying and boring.

My friend who watched it with me is an art film critic of sorts and she said this was the director's usual style. Well, the director-producer did state that he wanted to showcase and promote Chinese martial arts through this movie, but in my amateur opinion, all he did was to pander to his own ego in directing this movie in his usual style that does not gel with his stated aim.

There was also, in my view, a gratutitous and mindless glorication of smoking in the film. Granted, that was an era when smoking was not yet known to be a vice, but all the smoking in the movie added nothing to the plot or characterisation. It was, if anything, an affected gesture that tried to fluff up the artistic element, and to that end, it failed miserably.
                              Last edited by Zhang Wuji; 13 February 2013, 08:34 AM.
                              百德以孝为先

Comment

Working...
                              X