• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing Abs?

Has anyone seen (or studied) this?

QUOTE:
    "Before ... TV exists, hundreds of years ago, martial artists
    had to fight to defend their life. They were practicing lethal techniques of
    kung fu (Wushu) to insure they could be ready for the fight. Would you
    imagine they had poor abs? Surely not! They probably had the best
    trained and built abdominal area you could picture."

Abs training has become a major concern nowadays. This training method will do wonders for you. The use of Chi, visualization and perfect respiration will make you feel your abs from "the inside"

Comments?

Just curious

Diego

If this is chi kung I am Mickey Mouse.

This can be potentially harmful especially for physically unfit people, as can all streneous physical excersises where one is told to employ maximum strenght in ways ones body is not used to do from the start.

For "great abs" and also a overall better looking and healthyer physique, one can start with for example swimming that trains the whole body in a non straining way for the joints and ligaments, not just the cosmetic parts for looks.

Even better is real chi kung, where one will never be told to tense ones muscles.

The body musculature is constructed with every muscle having a counterpart; to make one limb contract or bend, there is another or more muscles for having it extract and bend the other way. The easyest example is the biceps and triceps muscles on ones upper arms, when one contracts the other extracts and so on.

If one were to train say the abs primarily, this will create unbalance as the abs become much stronger then its counterpart muscles in the back, most likely making ones posture slumped over like a monkey

A straight spine is more important to ones health then rippling abs.

Putting much energy into muscle training will also draw away energy better spent on the internal organs then building and maintaining cosmetic muscles.
    When one door closes, another one opens.

Comment

Originally posted by Omar View Post
      ...most likely making ones posture slumped over like a monkey
      To be fair, the author is talking about chi 'KONG'!

Maybe there is a connection after all!

Seriously, thank you for your insightful answer...

Diego

Comment

If this is ...... I am Mickey Mouse.
        Now that you mentioned it........there are some obvious similarities

Comment

Have you all tried those exercises at home?

Is it really that far from what they promise?

I mean its quite hard to get it correctly only by explanations and drawings without seeing it live.
          AeNzG:
          "Tolerate, respect, learn and teach" (Huganyo - The Fight Community) -> http://www.huganyo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Do View Post
            Now that you mentioned it........there are some obvious similarities
            Ah yes....that's the Omar I know and love.
            The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about. Oscar Wilde

Comment

You shall both taste my Mickey fist!

Edit: I have not tried the exercises. They might give great abs over time. But what for?
              What is certain though, it is not chi kung.
              Last edited by Omar; 9 December 2008, 11:21 PM.

Comment

I was wondering since body building and getting large muscles is bad for the qi flow if this also to the abdomen? Would it even be worse here due to being so close to the dan tian?
                “Greatness lies not in never falling, but in rising after every fall"

Comment

Dear brother,

I have not tried the exercises. They might give great abs over time. But what for?
                  I agree with your wholeheartedly, Micky mouse would just not be the same with a six pack .

Smile from your heart

Comment

Hello

For the serious part I believed also in the past to awesome abs, 6-pack etc.
                    Now I prefer to have better internal "appearance" and the external will come by itself.
                    Besides that I believe ale is much better and more fun for the body than working out the abs.
                    Beer(and ale!and ale!) does belly good!

PS:
                    I am afraid of Omar's Mickey punches so I will not tell anything
                    From the other hand cheesepie with ale perhaps is a nice combination
                    With warm regards,
                    Charalampos Nikas

Comment

Are you insinuating you can defeat my Mickey fist with your Cheesepie hand?

dont forget the counter "Drinking ale behind lotus"!

All the best everyone, humungous abs or not.

Comment

My "Happy Bunny Offers Cheesepie" I think can make everyone happy.
                        Of course my Happy Bunny has a big happy tummy without abs and drinks beer and ale!

PS:Now for the serious part I agree with Omar about the best physical excersice for abs and not only: Swimming.
                        With warm regards,
                        Charalampos Nikas

Comment

I know a lot about strength training. I still think that you all under rate strength training. Strength training isen't body building. Swimming is good for your back. If you over wieght your organns are pushhed all over the place and swimming will reallign your organs but you will have to lose the weight for it to be truely benefitial. Your organs are attached to your spine. Moving organs means a more problematic spine. For strength training swimming is a bit usless. To describe it, it's like a free american infomercial gimmick. It doesn't build strength at all. Like all infomercial ab and whole body toning products they will probably work for about two weeks. I don't know what internal force is like but for people who have never done chi kung strength training has amazing benefits.

When you train the abs your suppose to train them in conjuction with your obliques and back muscles. You are suppose to make a corset effect with the midsection to protect the back and keep it straight. Also the physical muscle system follows Chi Kung principles. If you tense up your midection then you automatically have more power in the other muscles like the muscles in the limbs. People refure to the midsection as the power house. Strong midsection, strong body. Your muscles are going to get used to the resistence of the water while swimming and swimming just becomes and endurance test.

After 25 your muscles if not used will start to deteriorate. When you are older you become weak and your bones aren't as strong. This can be totally prevented if you strength train. If you strength train with proper technique and have a healthy diet you can strength train untill your 80. Your bones will remain strong because of the strength trianing. I think strength training is perfectly compatibable with chi kung. You don't do reps until your muscles are sore or fatiqued. You do about 5 reps 2 or 3 sets. Rest between sets.

Of course strength training is done in conjuction with flexability training. Felaxability training that most people do is done wrong. Everyone can do the splits if they were under anaesthesia. It's all because your muscles think you shouldn't be in just a flexable state because of your not strong enough to be un such a position. Muscles tense up when you try to stretch. There are techiques to attain flexability properly. It doesn't involve stretch past this point. I am aware there is a flexability aspect to kung fu but I don't know how that works. I almost got the spilts when I was 14 I still have the same flexability without training all that time. My sister can still do the splits as well and she hasn't done them in years. I say splits for example purposes.
                          Last edited by Mbyte; 11 December 2008, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Dear Mbyte,

You can't improve your internal force much if you tense your muscles because you lock up your chi.

So strength training which causes tension isn't compatible with chi kung and internal development.

Look at how athletically and forcefully Sifu Wong moves in his kung fu sets. He didn't use any conventional strength training methods, only traditional methods which emphasize relaxation. I haven't seen any athletes his age who can move like that.

Jas

Comment

"You must do this with a deep and very slow exhalation through the mouth, and tense your abs as hard as possible"

lol Nice

Comment

Working...
                              X