Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagle Claw Master

Eagle Claw Master

Hello everybody,

I just heard that during the recent amazing Taijiquan intensive in Penang, Sifu Yeong Khuen Chi visited and gave a demonstration. Wow! Those Taijichaun guys and gals kept that quiet! (Unless I missed the thread).

For those of you who don't know: Sifu Yeong Khuen Chi was the Master of the GeorgeTown Ching Woo Association, the martial arts association founded by the great Huo Yun Jia (the hero of the film "Fearless" with Jet Li). The martial art genius Yue Fei is regarded as the First Patriarch of Eagle Claw Kungfu.

And because I love this stuff, here's some more information on Eagle Claw Kungfu taken from Sifu's Q&A (answer 6)

It is interesting to note that Eagle Claw Kungfu has more techniques than Hsing Yi Kungfu. It is also more impressive to watch. The training of the Eagle Claw force is generally external, like gripping T-shape tree-branches, tearing off tree-bark, and pulling out embedded poles from the ground with fingers.
    and

There are many and a great variety of Eagle Claw techniques involving striking, kicking, felling and gripping. The special locking and gripping techniques, known in Chinese as "chin-na", are famous.
    Would anyone who was at the Taijiquan intensive care to share more information, photographs etc.

Andrea is offline Sifu Andrea Zilio - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland
    Yes we had the great joy and honor of his visit and demonstration.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    For those of you who don't know: Sifu Yeong Khuen Chi was the Master of the GeorgeTown Ching Woo Association, the martial arts association founded by the great Huo Yun Jia (the hero of the film "Fearless" with Jet Li). The martial art genius Yue Fei is regarded as the First Patriarch of Eagle Claw Kungfu.
    I didn't make the link. Thank you pointing it out

There are some pictures on Antonio's site if you scroll down:http://www.shaolinwahnam.com.ve/photos.html

For example the one bellow:

Mark CH is offline Sifu Mark Hartnett - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Ireland
    Marcus I missed this too. Look forward to hearing more.

At the Chin Na course this year there was a White Crane Master present for some of the course. Unfortunately the Master didnt give a demonstration. But then again when Sifu performed Tiger Cleanses Claws I think it stole the show.

Thanks for the pic Andrea,

I also heard that Sifu Yeong Khuen Chi gave Sifu a book which he compiled himself showing the classic 50 Sequences of Eagle Claw, which were kept secretly and exclusively by Eagle Claw masters.

I'd love to know what was in that book!

Anybody have an idea?

Kindest regards
    Marcus
    Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha

That explains it

Hi all

That explains it, I had seen the pictures on Antonio's page which included the un-named Chinese gentleman. So the gentleman is Sifu Yeong Khuen Chi, Thanks for solving the mystery.

I would love to hear a description of his demonstration.

Regards

Robin
    Last edited by Robin; 9th November 2008 at 08:34 PM.

Dear Sihengs,

On this Taijiquan course I had the great privelege of being the recipient of some of the Eagle Claw demonstartions by Sifu Yeong Khuen Chi.

This was very special for me - ever since I first started watching Kungfu films, I have always been most fascinated by two styles - Wing Chun and Eagle Claw Kung Fu.
    Later when I read more about Eagle Claw I was even more fascinated by it, because of the fact that it had been developed FOR real combat BY an actual military general, this gave it more pedigree than other martial arts in my opinion.

But later I lost interest for a few reasons:
    - Its quite rare and difficult to find someone teaching it.
    - Like most kungfu today I thought it unlikely that the practitioners would be good fighters.
    - It sounded to me like it was external or at least interpreted today as external (even thought I thought it had to have an internal element given that it was developed by a genuine Shaolin Master who also developed the well know internal style of Xingyi)
    - For some reason I got the impression that it was too concerned with complicated chin na moves, even though I would have thought for use in battlefield combat the more simple direct moves would be best.

Well what can I say - Sifu Yeong Khuen Chi cleared a lot of things up for me! He showed me a number of very simple direct and effective moves! Usually he defended and attacked in one or two moves, ie to deflect or grip as a defence and then following it up with a palm strike, a punch, or me ending up on the floor (not always sure how I got there!)

This restored my faith in Eagle Claw! I love the concept that the genius General Yue Fei selected a subset of techniques that could solve a specific purpose of giving soldiers battle-ready techniques in the shortest space of time! It is great to know that people like Sifu Yeong Khuen Chi, part of the famous legendary Ching Woo Kungfu Association are keeping this art alive! I always wondered if Shaolin Wahnam would, as part of our legacy, work for the same noble cause as Ching Woo, to preserve all the different Kungfu styles.

Hmmm, I've got so many questions about this and Eagle Claw Kung Fu actually, my brothers is this thread a good place to raise them?

Paul

Hey everybody!

I'm so excited, I just received an e-mail from Sifu. Sifu will teach the exclusive 50 sequences of Eagle Claw at Summer Camp 2009 - how brilliant is that!

Does any body know what these 50 sequences are or what they look like?

Now all I have to do is find a suitable venue

Kindest regards
    Marcus
    Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus
    Sifu will teach the exclusive 50 sequences of Eagle Claw at Summer Camp 2009 - how brilliant is that!
    Jing Woo and Shaolin Wahnam...I'm on the verge of tears T_T
    "Om"

I pay homage to all the great masters of the past and the present

Wow....there is so much exciting news coming in this month! What is it about November??
    from the ♥

Oh......My......God

I sometimes have to pinch myself when I think about how lucky I am to have Sifu as my Sifu. To be a part of Shaolin Wahnam. You know what I mean guys.
    If I said I was very exited, it would be one of the understatements of the year.
    I'm off to call Paul so I can thank him for texting me about this thread.