Happiness in Amitabha's Pure Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shaolinfist View Post
    It depends on the circumstances, as throwing a ball to eachother is most certainly a part of baseball!
    Hi Phil,

The circumstances are "practicing", as I wrote above. But I know the metaphor is flawed. Of course catching and throwing are part of baseball proper, but I was talking about practice.

What I meant was if you saw a group of baseball players training, you wouldn't say they're playing baseball, despite the fact that what they are doing is an integral and perhaps necessary part of their profession. So you could say their training is part of baseball (Like you were arguing with the one-pointed mind), or you could say that it is just not baseball (like George was doing regarding Zen).

Where my metaphor doesn't work is that throwing and catching actually happen during baseball, but there is no one-pointed mind during Zen meditation, only non-thought, non-abiding.

Theoretically speaking, of course, my mind often wanders like crazy in meditation.

Feel free to debunk my logic as you wish, could be fun
    Jim
    Sigung: This is a great exercise for women, because it makes them beautiful and radiant.
    Student: And what does it do for men?
    Sigung: It makes women beautiful!
    Smile from the heart!

Comment

"

"
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      He who knows much about others may be learned, but he who understands himself is more intelligent. He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.

Comment

Seeing your nature is Zen. Unless you see your nature, it's not Zen.

Bodhidharma

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        He who knows much about others may be learned, but he who understands himself is more intelligent. He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingmonkey View Post
          "

"
          I think this says it all better than I ever could.

You're the most Zenest guy I know
          Sigung: This is a great exercise for women, because it makes them beautiful and radiant.
          Smile from the heart!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbeaux View Post
            No, I'm not.

You don't know your Sifu???

You know, when I first read your post, I felt a small little rush of pride arise, and therefore I'm not.

Pat

Comment

Don't take me too seriously, but I have enjoyed this thread.

Take care,
              Jim
              Smile from the heart!

Comment

:-D
                Be asured that I didn't!

Comment

i just came back from summer camp. i did the chi kung courses with Sifu. ill write down my expierances later on.

Comment

Dear everyone,

Originally posted by Shaolinfist View Post
                    Zen - Pure Land Double Cultivation practitioners combine both aims - to attain the Pure Land here and now instead of the after-life. This can be interpreted in two ways: their meditation is so advanced that they experience the Western Paradise while in their physical body is still on earth; or they attain nirvana which is also figuratively called, the Pure Land.
                    Where is the Kingdom of God? Jesus answers clearly in the Bible, “The Kingdom of God is in your heart.” An excellent way to have a glimpse of God's Kingdom is to stand upright, be totally relaxed, close your eyes gently, and smile from your heart. As your heart opens, feel the presence of Jesus with you, and let the Grace of God flow over you. Conclude the session by giving a blessing to whoever you wish.

Practice this every morning. You will grow spiritually, and as a result you will feel free, peaceful and happy.
                    Selection of Questions and Answers - March 2005 (Part 1)

These two quotes, of which the first can be found in this thread, are really wonderful.

I must now testify that both of them are true! Consequences follow our intentions, and such the end results may be a bit different, but their moral truths are certain: one can get glimpses of Divine Realms right now in this life.

For about a week or so I have felt my heart turn into a consecrated space. Often I can distinctively feel not just intimate presence of Amitabha Buddha and Guan Yin, but sometimes even an entire field of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas open before me, radiating out of my heart. It truly is a marvel of marvels to be able to witness Heaven, or as in this particular case Sukhavati, in your Heart.

Thank you Sigung for freely transmitting us so precious teachings!

With sincere gratitude,
                    Olli

Comment

Working...
                    X