Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat Application of Amitabha Palm

Combat Application of Amitabha Palm

I had just finished my practice and was going out to meet some friends at a local café for happy hour. As usual I parked a block or two away so as to enjoy a small walk before entering the café. As I rounded the corner, I noticed a man approaching in a Snake or like manner, meaning that his path of walking was staggered and zig-zagging. His shen was “dark”, I could tell he was definitely under the influence of something, I do not believe just alcohol.

I naturally read his intention, and became calmly alarmed, if I were a dog (which I am, ie Chinese zodiac) my ears were up. Earlier in my training, Sifu had warned me about people who harbour bad intentions and walk in a zig-zag fashion. I remember him saying,

“People who wish to harm you and walk directly at you with arms raised are quite foolish as they invite the conflict, be aware of this, but be more careful of those who zig-zag with their head down, for they may take you by surprise, and hit you when you least suspect it”

I was warned, and recognized the situation, I read the situation before it happened, the man approaching wished to mug me, throw an seemingly easy but brutal blow to my head, and make off quickly.

But here I wish to interject and point out a crucial point. When I say I read this situation, I do not mean that in a mystical visionary sense, naturally this has evolved from training the Shaolin arts, and I have tried and tested it naturally. As proof, here is another story, within a story.

While visiting another prominent Kung Fu school, one of the senior students decided they wanted to have fun and test me a bit. He approached me with his right hand concealed behind his back, and a smile on his face. So I asked him, “Why do you wish to hit me in the sternum with that Phoenix Eye fist you hide behind your back.”

“What are you talking about?” He jokingly replied as he exposed the fist and confirmed my judgment to be true.

We both laughed.

Shortly after, as we walked up a set of stairs he was behind me. And upon feeling his intention again I politely asked him if he didn’t mind removing his intention to hit me in my mingmen with yet again another Phoenix Eye fist.

“Wow, your good he said!”

I replied, “Of course, you know who my Sifu is!”

We laughed and joked about our, sparring.
    I tell this part of the story to prove that my assessment was in no way an erroneous assumption, this skill has been tried and tested naturally through the course of living my life with joy and freedom.

Anyways, back to the original story.

As I before stated, I felt the approaching man’s intent and instinctively knew the technique he was most likely to use against me (a high strike to the side of my head). At the time I had my hands in my pockets at which I felt very unsafe, so as the man drew closer and his winding footsteps brought him to descend upon me from my left, I calmly brought my hands out of my pockets and performed the Amitabha Palm, found in the 4-gates set. My timing was excellent, skill and force present. At the precise time when I executed this pattern the I felt a deep shockwave of force, which also shocked me a bit, and the man literally bounced away and let go a snickering dark laugh. WOW!

I walked a few more paces, then turned around and watched the man walk a half a block more to make sure he didn’t try to hurt anyone else, which he didn’t. I continued on to Happy Hour at a café, and told the bartender the story, he said, “Yea, you never know what you’ll get walking around down here!”

I hoped you enjoyed my account, and before I state a few of my conclusions from this interaction, I welcome others to share the conclusions they make from this story.

Best Wishes,

Adam

Thanks for sharing this account Adam, very interesting.
    I'm curious to know why the man's reaction was to laugh...
    from the ♥

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Adam.

I don't fully understand something, though. Did you strike the man?
      Sifu Anthony Korahais
      www.FlowingZen.com
      (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Originally posted by Antonius View Post
        I don't fully understand something, though. Did you strike the man?
        Dear Sipak,

No, I did not strike the man, I simply held the Amitabha Palm at heart level, just as in the 4-gates set before you strike out and transition into "Hiding Flowers in Sleeves". Somewhat like a standing poise pattern.

Best Wishes,

Adam

Comment

Ah, okay. Good for you, then.

By the way, the Amitaba Palm can be done as a strike. It's not necessarily slow like in the beginning of the set.
          Sifu Anthony Korahais
          www.FlowingZen.com
          (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

So for those of you who might not know the pattern of "Amitabha Palm", here is a photo of the position I adopted as the stranger approached me.

On the technique level, What are the advantages of such a pattern?

Best Wishes,

Adam

Comment

Note: The Sides of this picture are reversed, due to the use of the camera in my laptop.

I perform this with the left hand @ heart level and the right at my side

best wishes,

Adam

Comment

Hi Adam

Hi Adam, thanks for the story.

Just one thing. So.. you didnt actually touch him?

Robin
                "The Power of Tai Chi Chuan. com"

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Kryder View Post
                  On the technique level, What are the advantages of such a pattern?
                  Hi Adam,

Well I'm about to run off to work, so I'll be brief, but I wanted to put in my two cents.

On a very basic level, it's a good starting poise pattern. From it, you can relax your hand out a bit and ask the way. I believe it can also be used as a guard hand, and from it, any number of defenses or offenses are possible.

Personally, if I was a drunken alley troublemaker, and somebody adopted that poise at me, I'd be really confused at the peaceful gesture and probably run away in fear !

Anyway, hope that's a good starting point and I hope that you are your bro are doing well.

Best Wishes,
                  Molly
                  有志著事竟成

Shaolin Wahnam Twin Cities

Genuine Shaolin Kungfu and Qigong in Minnesota
                  https://www.shaolinwahnamtc.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Robin View Post
                    Just one thing. So.. you didnt actually touch him?
                    Dear Sisook,

I apologise for not being clearer in my first statement.

No, I did not have to physically touch or strike the man. One of the messages I wish to convey with this story is beauty, power and diversity of Spiritual cultivation in cultivating the Shaolin arts.

The "shockwave" I described in my original statement was direct force, and the nature of channeling that force, with genuine mental clarity, and smiling from the heart was enough to defend myself, as the man literally "bounced" away. The Amitabha Palm Pattern was the tool I used to utilize this skill or "gong".

But before discussing the "Gong" or skill/force of this technique I wish to add my own two cents to the comments of my Sijie.

I hope this clarifies what I poorly described in my original account.
                    Feel free to let me know.

Best Wishes,

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Molly View Post

On a very basic level, it's a good starting poise pattern. From it, you can relax your hand out a bit and ask the way. I believe it can also be used as a guard hand, and from it, any number of defenses or offenses are possible.

Personally, if I was a drunken alley troublemaker, and somebody adopted that poise at me, I'd be really confused at the peaceful gesture and probably run away in fear !

Anyway, hope that's a good starting point and I hope that you are your bro are doing well.
                      Dear Molly,

Thank you for your reply! I indeed agree with your statements. This pattern, (just as all other kung fu patterns), has many beautiful applications!

Asking the way is indeed a crucial point, and as an extension of such principle, so is being safe!

I often use this pattern should I be walking through tight crowds and/or feeling less than comfortable with my surroundings. Some examples are city streets, crowded subway terminals, bars and pubs, concerts, etc...

This pattern allows me to be very indiscreetly alert. If we just examine this pattern from a physical standpoint, it is easy to see that the heart is protected, and that the hand is in a very good position to handle any Low, Middle, high, or side attack!

But talking with you Sijie, has made me understand the skill and Gong of this pattern more deeply.

This pattern and its execution allows me to feel at peace, relaxed, and Safe in even somewhat extreme situations. I now understand more deeply that it is here, that the marvelous nature of kung fu has its roots.

Thank you for pointing this out!

I look forward to hearing any other comments...

Does anyone else have experiences they would like to share that might relate?

Best Wishes

Adam Kryder

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Kryder View Post
                        This pattern and its execution allows me to feel at peace, relaxed, and Safe in even somewhat extreme situations. I now understand more deeply that it is here, that the marvelous nature of kung fu has its roots.
                        Hi Adam,

I'm just sitting here wondering what was going through that guy's head when you performed that pattern and he ran off... it makes me wonder if that sense of peace you described didn't just shock his shen and cause him to take off. Have you (or anyone else) had any similar experiences?

Molly
                        有志著事竟成

Shaolin Wahnam Twin Cities

Genuine Shaolin Kungfu and Qigong in Minnesota
                        https://www.shaolinwahnamtc.com/

Comment

Resurrecting this old thread, because Four Gates is one of my favourite sets and because this just popped up as a "suggested thread".

I once used Amitabha Palm in sparring as a qin-na lock and it was only after I released the lock that I realised what pattern i had used. It was spontaneous and hitherto, I did not know that the Palm would be used that way.
                          百德以孝为先
                          Persevere in correct practice

Comment

Working...
                          X