Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combat Application of Amitabha Palm

Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post

On a very basic level, it's a good starting poise pattern. From it, you can relax your hand out a bit and ask the way. I believe it can also be used as a guard hand, and from it, any number of defenses or offenses are possible.

Personally, if I was a drunken alley troublemaker, and somebody adopted that poise at me, I'd be really confused at the peaceful gesture and probably run away in fear !

Anyway, hope that's a good starting point and I hope that you are your bro are doing well.
    Dear Molly,

Thank you for your reply! I indeed agree with your statements. This pattern, (just as all other kung fu patterns), has many beautiful applications!

Asking the way is indeed a crucial point, and as an extension of such principle, so is being safe!

I often use this pattern should I be walking through tight crowds and/or feeling less than comfortable with my surroundings. Some examples are city streets, crowded subway terminals, bars and pubs, concerts, etc...

This pattern allows me to be very indiscreetly alert. If we just examine this pattern from a physical standpoint, it is easy to see that the heart is protected, and that the hand is in a very good position to handle any Low, Middle, high, or side attack!

But talking with you Sijie, has made me understand the skill and Gong of this pattern more deeply.

This pattern and its execution allows me to feel at peace, relaxed, and Safe in even somewhat extreme situations. I now understand more deeply that it is here, that the marvelous nature of kung fu has its roots.

Thank you for pointing this out!

I look forward to hearing any other comments...

Does anyone else have experiences they would like to share that might relate?

Best Wishes

Adam Kryder

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Kryder View Post
    This pattern and its execution allows me to feel at peace, relaxed, and Safe in even somewhat extreme situations. I now understand more deeply that it is here, that the marvelous nature of kung fu has its roots.
    Hi Adam,

I'm just sitting here wondering what was going through that guy's head when you performed that pattern and he ran off... it makes me wonder if that sense of peace you described didn't just shock his shen and cause him to take off. Have you (or anyone else) had any similar experiences?

Molly
    有志著事竟成

Zhang Wuji is offline Sifu Zhang Wuji - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Singapore
    Resurrecting this old thread, because Four Gates is one of my favourite sets and because this just popped up as a "suggested thread".

I once used Amitabha Palm in sparring as a qin-na lock and it was only after I released the lock that I realised what pattern i had used. It was spontaneous and hitherto, I did not know that the Palm would be used that way.
    百德以孝为先
    Persevere in correct practice