Shakti Mantras: Tapping into the Great Goddess Energy Within

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fleur View Post
    My comments weren’t at all directed at people following their own religious traditions. Just that, for me, using mantras in the way suggested here feels somewhat opposed to the spirit of our training .
    Hi Fleur and Wahnam family,
    Thanks for your post and I agree that using mantras for gain at the phenomenal level is low level. From this context our Shaolin training is more cost effective and holistic. An example would be spending time chanting a "I want a better job" mantra compared to spending time thinking good thoughts and smiling from the heart to free the spirit. The second option will enrich your life with a lot more than just a new job. ^_^
    However mantras chanted for spiritual development can be very rewarding and I believe can be very beneficial to one's spiritual practice if one makes this crucial phenomenal versus spiritual distinction.

Warmest regards to all of you,

Ray
    "Om"

I pay homage to all the great masters of the past and the present

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
      From this context our Shaolin training is more cost effective and holistic. An example would be spending time chanting a "I want a better job" mantra compared to spending time thinking good thoughts and smiling from the heart to free the spirit.
      Or you could choose to be simple and direct by spending more time focusing on interview skills and hitting up job listings.

If one has a fast 12 speed road bike, why use a tricylcle?

Comment

Hi brother,
        You're correct: one must not just think but also do as well. (Best Yoda imitation I can muster)

^_^

Ray
        "Om"

Comment

Final Post

Hello Wahnam members,

I know I said that my previous post would be my last post on this topic. However, I feel that I should conclude this thread with a stronger, definitive statement and correct some misconceptions as well.

I know that Vedic mantras have nothing to do with what is practiced in Shaolin-Wahnam. But again as a reminder, this thread was started under the "Book Reviews" section to share with you what I have read.

Rereading my past posts, I find that I give the impression that the author, Thomas-Ashley Farrand, is offering these spiritual mantras primarily for worldly gain. Many would understandably see this as low-level and an abuse of spiritual power.

First point:

It is true that Mr. Farrand offers mantras for almost every aspect of our phenomenal life that we may currently be lacking in. That includes personal relationships, money, health (there is a very powerful healing mantra in another of his books that can heal emotional, spiritual and physical illnesses), family, spirituality, etc.

From my point of view (not Mr. Farrand's), I believe that for a person to truly advance successfully spiritually, one's phenomenal life has to be satisfied first.

Sifu Wong states in Q&A March 2007 Part 1:

It is very noble to give up everything to become a monk so as to cultivate to attain Enlightenment. But from what you have written, you are not ready for this momentous decision yet.

You should direct your time and effort to leading a rewarding life, get married and have children. You can still cultivate spiritually as a lay person and attain very high spiritual levels without neglecting your family.

Later when you have fulfilled well your obligations to your family, and with their blessing, you may become a monk if you still have the irresistible wish to do so.
          In Q&A April 2002 Part 1:

Both the Chinese and the Indians hold the following concept regarding full time spiritual cultivation. First, one must prepare himself physically, which includes having a good education, sound economic condition, and being healthy and fit. Next he must be emotional ready, which includes fulfilling all personal responsibilities to his family and social responsibilities to society. Then he must be mentally ready, which includes understanding fully what his intermediate as well as ultimate goals are, and how he can attain them.
          I find these precious mantras to be a stepping stone to a higher purpose. Once we can fulfill our mundane, earthly wishes, we are ready to truly cultivate spiritually without any distractions in the way. From what I can see, Shaolin-Wahnam also does this, but in a different way.

Second point:

I found an interesting effect after chanting these mantras over time. At first, I chanted mantras for the fulfillment of material purposes, including having an excellent career after college (which I now have in Wall Street thanks to Lakshmi), having a more attractive personality to the opposite gender, etc.

I next chanted mantras for love and finding a truly spiritual partner. Although it worked to a certain extent and not the glamorous way I hoped, I came to realize that it was me, not the mantra, that was at fault. It was then when I realized how much inner turmoil, frustration and anger still lay within my heart due to childhood experiences.

I moved on to clearing my inner demons with the Durga and Chamundi mantras to raise my self-esteem and become more confident. Although I was practicing Wahnam Chi Kung on my own, it's just not as powerful without a competent instructor by your side. It temporarily alleviated my mental and emotional conditions, but it did not clear it. The foundation of hell still existed within me. With so many obstacles in the way, I also could not find time and afford money to attend even regional courses. Mantras were my only option.

In the last few months, I started to chant spiritual mantras presented in the book. Some of the spiritual mantras presented include:
          • Om Mani Padme Hum
          • Namo Kwan Shi Yin Pu Sa
          • The Gayatri Mantra
          • Saraswati Mantras to gain esoteric and spiritual knowledge
          • Kali mantra for fast spiritual attainment
          • Etc.

I currently chant the Gayatri mantra every morning. The Gayatri mantra is long but wonderful, as the energy it generates is magnificent. Mr. Farrand states that the mantra draws energy from the powerful spiritual planes above into your aura, energizing your Chi, ridding your mind and body of diseases, and making your aura glow bright and spiritually. A vibrational, spiritual armor is also generated, protecting one from negative influences. Chanted over time (which could be many lifetimes), rebirth ceases and enlightenment is eventually gained.

Why am I mentioning this? The mantras I chanted at first for material gain soon became for spiritual purposes. As I was chanting, the inner Goddess was pulling me deeper and deeper into the realm of spirituality and forcing me to explore myself.

Mr. Farrand states in the book:

Now Divine Mother has you. By showing you the increase in energy, She will motivate you to further efforts. By solving your problems and fulfilling your desires, She will move you down the road to spiritual advancement. Like any good mother, she will pack your lunch with finest fruit and sandwiches, then send you off to advance in the school of life.
          Some of the people in this thread stated that these mantras are distracting, potentially dangerous and low-level. I don't want readers of this thread to think that the Vedic tradition is about material gain. It definitely is not, since it all depends on how we use it. Our decision as to how to continue our lives after we fulfill our desires will determine our future karma.

I would like to conclude with a statement from the author:

Leave everything to God first, last, and always. If you have some real power or have it given to you, dedicate its use to service of others...

Sincerity is like shield against karmic return from mistakes. Such is the compassion of God, the Masters, the celestials, and the Great Ones who walk among us.

Even if our mistakes cause the necessity of some kind of karmic return, even if the mistakes are great and the negative result great, sometimes the Great Ones will take the effects upon themselves... When Jesus was crucified, it is said he died for our sins. Was this not taking the karma of humanity upon himself? Unknown spiritual teachers of high stature and Great Ones have been doing such things for centuries.

Maybe a time will come when you can add your shoulder to the wheel and help push along humanity's seemingly slow, painful trek to its birthright of divinity.
          Thank you all for reading.

Best wishes,
          Stephen

Comment

Thanks for your post Stephen, very clearly written.

It reminds me that there are many paths to our destination, as long as we "avoid evil, do good and purify the mind" we will all progress along them.

All the best in your cultivation

Comment

Stephen,

Thank you for sharing this book review with us. I've enjoyed reading about your experiences.

I've found a lot I can agree with in your posts. I particularly like this quote from your last post:
              She will motivate you to further efforts. By solving your problems and fulfilling your desires, She will move you down the road to spiritual advancement.
              This is definitely how I have found my own practice. The desire and energy to progress further gradually creeps up on me. For about 9 months I have been included mantra recitation in my practice and I have really noticed the benefits. And like many others I'm sure have found it mutually complementary to my Wahnam practice.

Anyway thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Pete
              "Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day." Sally Koch

Comment

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the post. It was very well written

^_^b

Ray
                "Om"

Comment

Dear Stephen,

I was skimming through this thread and read your well-intended posts. I would like to offer comment on a few of your views which may/may not be of use. Please discard or use as you see fit.

Originally posted by DarkCosmoz
                  {Post # 28 by DarkCosmoz (Stephen)}

Hi Fleur,

This doesn’t sound safe to me at all.

There are a couple of references in the thread to people’s experiences of ‘powerful energy gathering’. This may or may not be a good thing, and probably means little in itself. But if there are some blockages, and the energy isn’t cleared by chi flow, then it would definitely not be a good thing, in fact, dangerous. So I’d be very cautious to say the least, about undertaking this practice from a book, without the supervision of a master.
                  Based on your post above, you believe that chanting Sanskrit mantras is like practicing Chi Kung. This is not true.
                  Actually, mantras are chi.

Whether or not we are able to experience mantras in a chi kung state of mind is a different matter altogether.

I am by no means an expert, but based on my past experiences, I know that chi and shakti are two different kinds of energy.
                  Chi = Shakti

In fact, I'll go one step further:

Shakti is just one facet of Chi.

Chi is generated as a result of practicing Chi Kung and courses through various organs and meridians.
                  The chi does much much more than just "course through various organs and meridians."

Shakti power is generated as a result of chanting Sanskrit mantras. This intelligent energy originates from the base of our spine (where the Muladhara, or base, chakra resides) and as we develop spiritually, moves up each chakra,.
                  This can happen in chi kung practice.

We know what chi is, as we have all experienced it. What, then, is shakti?
                  If you have experienced a form of chi, then you have experienced a form shakti.

If you have experienced the level of chi that radiates from Sifu (Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit) when he teaches, then it is very possible for a person to experience the "intelligence" of chi (shakti) as indicated in the above definition of Shakti.

Does your karma dictate in this life that you shall be poor?
                  Actually, karma is not fixed, so karma does not "dictate" anything. What is important is that we develop the "eyes" to see what choices are available to us so that we can make "new" decisions, thereby enabling a new "future" to unfold.

No problem. Devotedly chant the Lakshmi mantra and surrender yourself to Her. Doing so will awaken the shakti within you for wealth and abundance.
                  By "choosing" to recite a mantra, it may be a "new" decision in that one may not have ever recited a mantra before. In exercising this new decision, his/her future possibilities begin to shift immediately.

But if you're physically unhealthy with a lot of internal blockages, will chanting this mantra be dangerous? No. Chanting the mantras presented in this book do not induce chi flow
                  On the contrary, there is not a single mantra that is not capable of inducing chi flow.

Whether or not something harms us (or other people) is dependent on what the original intent or thought is.

A person with internal injuries dedicatedly practicing Golden Bridge everyday from a book without the supervision of a master is dangerous.
                  Well-stated.

Practicing Chi Kung can make you mentally, physically and spiritually healthy while simultaneously making you internally powerful for combat. Chanting these mantras associated with a certain goddess are different. They change your karma for the better while awakening and developing their divine qualities within you.
                  Practising chi kung will do all of what you outlined. It will also enable one to develop more energy, such that he/she will have the "eyes" to make better decisions, thereby enabling him/her to change his/her karma and increasingly manifest "divine" qualities such as "smiling from the heart".

Mr. Farrand gives an example of when he himself was in danger from a stranger in his late thirties, threatening to physically hurt him. His wife, who has devotedly chanted the Durga mantra many thousands of times, stepped in to protect him from the stranger. Durga, if you remember, is the fierce personified feminine power of protection who destroys a wide range of demonic and negative forces. She is portrayed as a beautiful goddess riding a fierce tiger while holding many different battle weapons in each of her many hands. Mr. Farrand goes on to say that his wife seemed to have actually took on the form of Durga for a brief moment, and the man backed down scared.
                  What a wonderful story! It sounds like Mr. Farrand's wife was a lovely Scholar-Warrior who naturally manifested the 3 Arrivals and 6 Harmonies.

When can it get dangerous?
                  Anything is dangerous when there is wrong intent. (smile)

Congratulations on your new job at Wall Street!

Best wishes,

Emiko
                  Emiko Hsuen
                  www.shaolinwahnam.jp
                  www.shaolinwahnam.ca

INTENSIVE & SPECIAL COURSES -- PENANG 2018
                  Taught by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
                  4th generation successor of the Southern Shaolin Monastery
                  Small and Big Universe Course: Nov 21 to 25
                  Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner: Nov 26 to Dec 2
                  Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy: Dec 2 to Dec 8
                  Intensive Chi Kung Course: Dec 9 to Dec 13
                  To apply, send email to: secretary@shaolin.org

Comment

Hi Emiko,

When I explained the difference between Chi and Shakti, I was basing it on my own Chi Kung and mantra chanting experiences. I now realize that I have never officially delved deep enough into Chi Kung with an instructor or Grandmaster to be competent enough to make the point that you are currently making.

I guess I also never really went deep enough with Sanskrit mantras to truly know what Shakti is either.

Looking back at this post now, I was quite arrogant in making this comparison between Chi and Shakti so authoritatively.

Actually, mantras are chi.
                    Chi = Shakti

In fact, I'll go one step further:

Shakti is just one facet of Chi.
                    and

If you have experienced a form of chi, then you have experienced a form shakti.

If you have experienced the level of chi that radiates from Sifu (Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit) when he teaches, then it is very possible for a person to experience the "intelligence" of chi (shakti) as indicated in the above definition of Shakti.
                    Although the idea that CHI = SHAKTI has never crossed my mind, thinking about it now, this concept makes a lot of sense.

Your other points are well-stated. Thank you for the insights!

Kind regards,
                    Stephen

Comment

Some useful information about mantras

Some useful information about mantras:

From Thomas-Ashley Farrand's book, Healing Mantras:

Definition #1: Mantras are energy-based sounds.
                      • Saying any word produces an actual physical vibration. Over time, if we know what the effect of that vibration is, then the word may come to have meaning associated with the effect of saying that vibration or word. This is one level of energy basis for words.

• Another level is intent. If the actual physical vibration is coupled with a mental intention, the vibration then contains an additional mental component which influences the result of saying it. The sound is the carrier wave and the intent is overlaid upon the wave form, just as a colored gel influences the appearance and effect of a white light.

• In either instance, the word is based upon energy. Nowhere is this idea more true than for Sanskrit mantra. For although there is a general meaning which comes to be associated with mantras, the only lasting definition is the result or effect of saying the mantra.

Definition #2: Mantras create thought-energy waves.
                      • The human consciousness is really a collection of states of consciousness which distributively exist throughout the physical and subtle bodies. Each organ has a primitive consciousness of its own. That primitive consciousness allows it to perform functions specific to it. Then come the various systems. The cardio-vascular system, the reproductive system and other systems have various organs or body parts working at slightly different stages of a single process. Like the organs, there is a primitive consciousness also associated with each system. And these are just within the physical body. Similar functions and states of consciousness exist within the subtle body as well. So individual organ consciousness is overlaid by system consciousness, overlaid again by subtle body counterparts and consciousness, and so ad infinitum.

• The ego with its self-defined "I" ness assumes a pre-eminent state among the subtle din of random, semi-conscious thoughts which pulse through our organism. And of course, our organism can "pick up" the vibration of other organisms nearby. The result is that there are myriad vibrations riding in and through the subconscious mind at any given time.

• Mantras start a powerful vibration which corresponds to both a specific spiritual energy frequency and a state of consciousness in seed form. Over time, the mantra process begins to override all of the other smaller vibrations, which eventually become absorbed by the mantra. After a length of time which varies from individual to individual, the great wave of the mantra stills all other vibrations. Ultimately, the mantra produces a state where the organism vibrates at the rate completely in tune with the energy and spiritual state represented by and contained within the mantra.
                      • At this point, a change of state occurs in the organism. The organism becomes subtly different. Just as a laser is light which is coherent in a new way, the person who becomes one with the state produced by the mantra is also coherent in a way which did not exist prior to the conscious undertaking of repetition of the mantra.

Definition #3: Mantras are tools of power and tools for power.
                      • They are formidable. They are ancient. They work. The word "mantra" is derived from two Sanskrit words. The first is "manas" or "mind," which provides the "man" syllable. The second syllable is drawn from the Sanskrit word "trai" meaning to "protect" or to "free from." Therefore, the word mantra in its most literal sense means "to free from the mind." Mantra is, at its core, a tool used by the mind which eventually frees one from the vagaries of the mind.

• But the journey from mantra to freedom is a wondrous one. The mind expands, deepens and widens and eventually dips into the essence of cosmic existence. On its journey, the mind comes to understand much about the essence of the vibration of things. And knowledge, as we all know, is power. In the case of mantra, this power is tangible and wieldable.

(Relevant to discussion about Chi)

6. Mantra energizes prana.
                      • "Prana" is a Sanskrit term for a form of life energy which can be transferred from individual to individual. Prana may or may not produce an instant dramatic effect upon transfer. There can be heat or coolness as a result of the transfer.

• Some healers operate through transfer of prana. A massage therapist can transfer prana with beneficial effect. Even self-healing can be accomplished by concentrating prana in certain organs, the result of which can be a clearing of the difficulty or condition. For instance, by saying a certain mantra while visualizing an internal organ bathed in light, the specific power of the mantra can become concentrated there with great beneficial effect.

Comment

Dear Emiko,

I re-read another book written by Mr. Farrand called Healing Mantras. In it, he states that kundalini (a more specific term for Shakti) and prana (Sanskrit term for chi) are different.

Page 46

Literally, prana means "breath." Without the flow of prana through our bodies, we would die. We direct prana with our minds when we do healing visualizations or mantra work. Pranic energy can be transferred from person to person, as healers do through their hands when they perform therapeutic massage, acupressure, therapeutic touch, reiki, and other hands-on treatments.

But kundalini energy is different from prana. Kundalini is an energy of spiritual evolution, growth, and consciousness, although it has been incorrectly viewed as sexual energy...

In most people, kundalini lies dormant as "energy in potential." We can, however, through spiritual practices such as mantra, prayer, and meditation, awaken this energy, causing it to move up the spinal canal...

According to mystical literature, the process begins gradually and proceeds through many years, or even lifetimes. Eventually, kundalini energy will reach the brow center, or third eye. When that happens, cosmic consciousness or self-realization is achieved. In this new or additional state, healing abilities can manifest.
                        Similarly, Sifu Wong also talks about the differences between the microcosmic orbit (which involves the flow of chi) and the rise of kundalini:

The upward flow of the microcosmic obit or Small Universe from near the anus to the top of the head, is similar to the rise of kundalini energy, but they are not the same.

Both the Small Universe and kundalini give good health and vitality, and at high levels both lead to spiritual fulfilment. But the upward flow of the Small Universe is nearer the surface of the physical body whereas the rise of kundalini is vertical from the anus to the head. In this respect, the rise of kundalini is similar to the break-through of the Rush Meridian.

While the flow of the Small Universe is a never-ending circuit around the body along the Ren and Du Meridians, the flow of the Rush Meridian -- like the rise of kundalini -- starts from the base near the anus and sprouts out at the crown of the head in "a blossom of five flowers" like a fountain.

Mr. Farrand also talks about the wonderful story of Rama and Sita. Rama is the avatar, or incarnation of the divine being, Vishnu (The great Buddha is also an avatar of Vishnu).

Sita, who is the incarnate of the goddess of abundance and love, Lakshmi, is with Rama on Earth to act out this divine drama.

I hope you guys enjoy this story as I did.

Rama is the Divine Self. Sita is the pure and perfect kundalini shakti. As eldest son, Rama is destined to rule the kingdom... but through court intrigue the king is forced to appoint Rama's brother Bharata (the mind) to the throne. Rama is to be banished to the forest for 12 years.

Bharata knows that false deeds had led to Rama's banishment and has placed Rama's sandals (the power of the Self manifesting through kundalini) on the throne and declared him to be true king, in exile or not. Bharata then declares that he will act as Rama's steward until his return...

The mind must always act as a steward for the Divine. For the divinity within is the Self, located at the heart center, and not the mind, which has no light of its own.

Sita is subsequently abducted by Ravana, the last of the evil kings, and taken a great distance away. Ravana wants Sita to become his consort. He is driven by lustful desires devoid of any love or true feeling whatsoever.

Meanwhile Rama is traveling in the forest, where he happens upon Hanuman (the prana or chi), a chief of one of the monkey tribes. Hanuman pledges his allegiance to Rama and becomes his foremost servant. Rama sends Hanuman in search of Sita.

The kundalini shakti is prevented from joining the Divine Self located at the heart center, and is detained at the second chakra (lust and magical powers) and the third chakra (dominion over the elements of earth, water, and fire as well as temporal desires of all kinds).

But Hanuman, representing the prana, is sent to find Sita. This is the practice of rhythmic breathing the yogi employs to purify the body and chakras, and bring the kundalini up to the heart center and beyond.

Hanuman finds Ravana... and a huge battle ensues. Since Hanuman is not powerful enough to defeat Ravana, he cannot liberate Sita. But neither can Hanuman be defeated. He returns to Rama and tells him where Sita is detained.

The pranic breathing will always disclose the location of the kundalini and where the its energy may be held captive.

When they finally confront one another, Rama reveals his divine nature, and Ravana melts into praise and becomes a devotee, with tears of devotion streaming from his eyes.

Rama and Sita return from the forest and their coronation takes place on a grand scale.

Hanuman mantras work directly with prana.
                        From the above story, it seems like that practicing high level Chi Kung can clear internal obstacles so that Sita (our Shakti) can become reunited with Rama, or our consciousness, and eventually attain liberation from this world.

Based on the above information, I would have to respectfully disagree with you now that Chi = Shakti.

Thank you very much, though, for your wonderful insights. It is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
                        Stephen

Comment

The Beauty of Three Wisdoms

Dear Stephen,

What a lovely, well-formulated post! It is well-researched and carefully thought-out. Also, the tone in which it is written is both polite and pleasant.

I would like to clarify that many people have stated that prana = chi. In fact, chi is much much more than prana. As you rightly stated, "prana means 'breath'". Chi is not just breath. It is breath and more. It is also 'energy of spiritual evolution, growth, and consciousness' (as stated in your definition of kundalini).

In chi kung terms, and taking the excellent quote by Sifu which you yourself made, kundalini can be described in chi kung terms as "the flow of the Rush Meridian -- like the rise of kundalini -- starts from the base near the anus and sprouts out at the crown of the head in "a blossom of five flowers" like a fountain."

You are, of course, free to disagree with me, Stephen.

Regarding my own post, I would like to clarify that I was writing from direct experience, not from what I had read, nor from an understanding drawn from collaborative comparisons of various teachers/writers/experts.

Of course I have read many books on the subjects also. But these were used only for confirmation of my own experience, i.e. 'after the fact'. Also, I was under the guidance of exceptional masters of both meditation, martial and energy arts. In fact, a number of years ago, I was due to be ordained as a "lay-lama" but chose to decline because I realised how little I knew and couldn't wait to learn more under the guidance of my present master, Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

The reason why I am writing this is not to say, "I know more than you", but rather to say, "Yes, I understand where you are coming from." There was a time when the experience I had was so limited that I felt ill-equipped to make comment on any subject. So, instead I would refer to the texts of experts to back up my points. I valued the words of other experts.

Even now, I still value the words of experts. So, I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts where you make frequent reference to Mr. Farrand's work, among others. My final stance, however, is always based on personal experience. If I don't know something, then I leave it as "I don't know." If I have experienced something, then I try to write only from that. Naturally, growth is ongoing, so I expect to change and evolve over time.

Let me go one step further and suggest that if we let ourselves become satisfied by an intellectual comparison of texts written by other people, we can end up short-changing ourselves from the genuine discovery and transformation that results from direct experience.

Direct experience is something that cannot be taken away by other people. The only way to accumulate this is to put in the effort of straight, simple practice over a substantial period of time. I would suggest that a minimum of 5 years is a fair starting place.

In one of Sifu's recent Q&A's (May 2008-Part 3), there is a wonderful article where he talks about 3 types of wisdom: language wisdom, illuminated wisdom and cosmic wisdom. What you have displayed in your most recent post, Stephen, is a striking example of "language wisdom".

Please see below for an excerpt of Sifu's article:

Question 1
                          Compassion and wisdom are two of the qualities that I feel you exemplify, and thanks to Sifu Lai's tutelage I'm sure you can comment on a righteous course of action.
                          Sean, USA

Answer 1
                          Compassion and wisdom are the two cardinal virtues of Mahayana Buddhism.
                          There are different levels of compassion. Giving some money to a beggar to buy food is being compassionate. But some people may argue that it encourages him to be lazy. The intellectual may debate whether this is a sign of wisdom or an excuse for refusing to give some money. The compassionate, however, will not be interested in the intellectual debate. He will rather make a mistake by giving money to a lazy person than seeing a beggar starve.

According to the Buddha's teaching, there are three types of wisdom -- language wisdom, illuminated wisdom and cosmic wisdom. Language wisdom is the lowest, illuminated wisdom is intermediate, and cosmic wisdom is the highest.
                          Language wisdom is derived from words. Intellectualizing that giving money to a beggar may discourage him from working is an example of language wisdom. Illuminated wisdom is derived from direct experience in our phenomenal world. Realizing that giving a beggar money to buy food will save him from hunger, irrespective of whether he is lazy to work, is an example of illuminated wisdom. Cosmic wisdom is also derived from direct experience, but is transcendental. Perceiving the intricate matrix of the beggar's poverty and your prosperity in relation with contributing factors in the past and inevitable developments in the future, is an example of cosmic wisdom.

Question 2
                          At one time I supported a woman's right to have an abortion, but I saw a display on my university campus that depicted graphic images of aborted fetuses juxtaposed with images of the Nazi Holocaust and the Rwandan Genocide. They argued that the humanity of even a fertilized egg is undeniable as it is a unique genetic entity with 46 chromosomes, and that two human beings can never procreate and produce a living organism that is not a human being.

Answer 2
                          Your support of a woman's right to have an abortion is an example of illuminated wisdom, whereas your doubt or guilt of your previous conviction is an example of language wisdom, or a lack of it.

You supported women to have abortion if it could relieve them of suffering because you felt compassion for them. But having heard persuasive arguments that abortion destroyed life, you felt guilty because you accepted the language wisdom of pro-life advocators who were against abortion. Had you met pro-choice advocators who persuasively argued that abortion brought more benefit than harm, you would feel vindicated, even righteous.

If you view abortion with cosmic wisdom, you will have a different perception. One perception is as follows. Life is transcent. A foetus in an unwilling mother is unlikely to be happy, and when it is born it will continue to suffer. It has an opportunity to terminate its unhappy life to be born again in another willing mother and an expecting father. Would you deprive it this opportunity to cease this unhappy existence and seek a happier life, particularly when this opportunity will also cease the suffering of its unwilling mother?

Question 3
                          While I noted how they caught my attention and made abortion an issue in a powerful way, I was not sure how to react to the fact that these pictures were extreme and that some people might not be ready to look at them. I have retained this opinion even up to this moment but this feeling was later balanced by the intuition that I felt toward there being a real need for people to see abortion for what really is and what it really does.

Answer 3
                          This is indicative of cosmic wisdom, which will enable you to make better choices. Even if your choce turned out to be a bad one, you can take conform that you made the choice with sincerity and compassion.

Question 4
                          For some reason, I could spend hours upon hours listening to the debates from the pro-life and pro-choice sides and because I could not find a single argument or description of circumstance that concretely justified elective abortion, I could not say any longer that I took a pro-choice stance, and thus became pro-life.

Answer 4
                          You limited yourself only to language wisdom. You should open yourself to illuminated wisdom and cosmic wisdom. Open your heart to each case, and be guided by righteousness and compassion. In most cases abortion is out of the question. But some special cases may call for exception.

Question 5
                          It was not by my own courage or mental agility that I was able to effectively engage in a discussion about abortion, but instead I feel as though my prayers to be guided by the Holy Spirit were answered.

Answer 5
                          If your intention is noble and you ask sincerely with a one-pointed mind, God will always answer your prayers.

Question 6
                          My biggest concern however, is that as a volunteer I am not being compassionate, and that I am not even taking a righteous course of action by standing in front of these graphic signs.

Answer 6
                          Generations of masters have advised that if there is a conflict between the head and the heart, listen to the heart. In other words, do what you feel is right, rather than what you think is right.

This does not mean you can act rashly or irrationally. First of all you have to think carefully. But after careful and thorough consideration, you still feel you should act differently, then follow your heart. When you follow your head, you follow the reasoning of man; when you follow your heart, you follow God.
                          It is through consistent practice and training with an authentic master (one who can respond to a practitioner's immediate and personalised needs), that the practitioner is enabled to evolve beyond "language wisdom" to "illuminated wisdom", and on to "cosmic wisdom".

Stephen, I'd like to think that if Mr Farrand, Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit, you and I were to sit down for tea some lovely afternoon, the four of us would be able to have a discussion such as this and all laugh together because the only real difference is the issue of semantics.

Please do not misunderstand my words to suggest that this discussion is not worth having. It most certainly is. This discussion still comprises a form of wisdom - language wisdom!

It serves the purpose of enabling us to encourage each other to "practice, practice, practice" till we really "arrive" and see that all there is to do is truly enjoy each moment in its fullest sense.

Thank you for sharing your time and attention.

Wishing you the very best of joy and success,

Emiko
                          Last edited by Emiko H; 20 June 2008, 01:48 AM.
                          Emiko Hsuen
                          www.shaolinwahnam.jp
                          www.shaolinwahnam.ca

Comment

Dear Emiko,

Thank you for the wonderful and informative post on the Three Wisdoms. I must have overlooked it in the past because I don't remember ever reading that in the Q&A!

As I stated in a previous post,

When I explained the difference between Chi and Shakti, I was basing it on my own Chi Kung and mantra chanting experiences. I now realize that I have never officially delved deep enough into Chi Kung with an instructor or Grandmaster to be competent enough to make the point that you are currently making.

I guess I also never really went deep enough with Sanskrit mantras to truly know what Shakti is either.

Looking back at this post now, I was quite arrogant in making this comparison between Chi and Shakti so authoritatively.
                            based on my lack of experience, you are dead on in stating that I am limited by language wisdom. Like you correctly said, I really have nothing concrete but expert testimonial to back my theories up. After all, this is what we are taught in college to do when writing thesis or research papers.

However, I strongly feel that we have to at times trust the words of masters and gurus. Sometimes, language wisdom is the only way to convey teachings to someone who lives thousands of miles away, or who lived in another lifetime. They can put their valuable experience in words to help us become better. If I had disregarded Sifu Wong's teachings in his books and website as false, I would never have decided to incorporate spirituality into my daily life.

Please do not misunderstand my words to suggest that this discussion is not worth having. It most certainly is. This discussion still comprises a form of wisdom - language wisdom!
                            Thank you. I figured that the "Book Reviews" section is as good as place as any to engage others in language wisdom.

It serves the purpose of enabling us to encourage each other to "practice, practice, practice" till we really "arrive" and see that all there is to do is truly enjoy each moment in its fullest sense.
                            I first picked up The Complete Book of Tai Chi Chuan in a Barnes and Noble store one day when I was 14. After that, I remembered continuously re-reading it for about 4 years until the sides of the book became dark brown (disgusting I know).

At the time, it was strange that none of my friends or acquaintances were as fascinated as I was about this topic (they were after all 14-15 years old). My parents particularly discouraged me from becoming too interested in it since they wanted me to succeed academically. We were also Roman Catholic.

But over the years, with help from this forum, I practiced the Chi Kung and Tai Chi sets on my own (I eventually found a master 3 years ago which also happened to be 5 minutes from my house, secretly teaching in a medical building). While in Standing Zen, I too had brief glimpses from time to time of cosmic reality. Due to various complications in the past and now, I find that it is not plausible for me to ever seriously learn and practice with Shaolin-Wahnam.

To make the long story short, I have decided to make chanting mantras my primary objective in this life. It is easy and within reach. For example, I can chant when I have to work my killer hours at work and chant on the subway ride back home. I have also decided to seek out a genuine Tantra teacher in NYC. Mr. Farrand, who is a wonderful and powerful guru himself, also initiates deserving students into powerful mantras and does retreats in India with powerful spiritual figures.

Hopefully I can take the first true step in practice, practice, practice.

Thank you for your post.

Best wishes,
                            Stephen

Comment

I have just found this thread! How I could miss it.
                              Thank you, Stephen, and thank you, Emiko-san Sijie.

Joko
                              开心 好运气
                              kai xin... .......hao yunqi... - Sifu's speech, April 2005
                              open heart... good chi flow... good luck ...
                              ------------------------------------------------------------
                              Have we not opened up thy heart ...? (The Reading, 94:1)
                              ------------------------------------------------------------
                              Be joyful, ..and share your joy with others -(Anand Krishna)

Comment

Dear Joko-san,

Thank you for your kind words. (On a side-topic, will you be coming to the Intensive Tai Chi Chuan course in September for another round? It would be a pleasure to cross hands with you. )

Dear Stephen,

Once again, I enjoyed reading your post.

Further, it was generous of you to share some of your personal story with us. Clearly, you have good spiritual roots if you came across the "Complete Book of Tai Chi Chuan" at age 14 and were somehow moved to buy and read it.

I hope you don't mind if I respond to just one comment you made:
                                To make the long story short, I have decided to make chanting mantras my primary objective in this life.
                                What if you were to let the chanting of mantras just be your method rather than the primary objective? Then, the mantras could lead you to a different primary objective like, for example, joy and bliss.

Wishing you well,

Emiko
                                Emiko Hsuen
                                www.shaolinwahnam.jp
                                www.shaolinwahnam.ca

Comment

Working...
                                X