Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shaolin Pakua Set

Hi everyone,

I've uploaded a video of me practicing the Shaolin Pakua Set. As I mentioned in another thread, this set is still a work in progress for me. While Sifu was here in September, he made a lot of corrections. This video was taken before that visit, but I think you can still get a good idea of the beauty of this set from the video. As soon as I take a new video of the set, I will put it up.

The Shaolin Pakua Set

I hope you enjoy. And feel free to rate the video and post your comments!

All the best,
    Sifu Anthony Korahais
    www.FlowingZen.com
    (Click here to learn more about me.)

Thank you, Sihing.
    The set is so beautiful.

Out of curiosity, was the video taken at Langkawi after the Shaolin Special Course in April?

Joko
    开心 好运气
    kai xin... .......hao yunqi... - Sifu's speech, April 2005
    open heart... good chi flow... good luck ...
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Have we not opened up thy heart ...? (The Reading, 94:1)
    Be joyful, ..and share your joy with others -(Anand Krishna)

Comment

Hi Joko sidai!

No, this video was taken in Florida.

All the best,
      Sifu Anthony Korahais
      www.FlowingZen.com

Comment

Great kungfu Antonius , fit for generals and kings .
        Damian Kissey
        Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
        www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Wow!!!!! What a great set. Thanks for sharing it with us, Anthony.
          Sifu Andrew Barnett
          Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
          Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
          Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Hi Sipak Anthony and other family members.
            Firstly Sipak, congratulations on having learned this prestigious set. Since I first saw this set performed on an old video by (Tai)Sipak Goh, it has always fascinated me.
            During Sigung´s last visit to Barcelona last week, my brothers and I had the privilege of having lunch with Sigung on a couple of occasions. I took the opportunity to pose some questions regarding the Shaolin Pakua set and he suggested starting a thread on it. Looks like you beat me to it though .
            Anyhoo, if it is appropriate here, I would like to invite anyone familiar with this set to start a discussion on its combat application, being that it was the set that Sigung accredits his ´Kungfu enlightenment´ to. If it is inappropriate, I shall be happy to start a new thread.

Regards to all,

Dave.
            'There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be...'
            -John Lennon

Comment

-

Siheng Anthony,

I cant stop watching the clip, so i am not sure if i should thank you for posting it or not

Sincerely,
              Niklas

"If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven played music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well."/Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Hi Dave,

I think it's appropriate to discuss it here.

All the best,
                Sifu Anthony Korahais
                www.FlowingZen.com

Comment

I'm going to add some pictures from Sifu's recent visit. Shaolin Wahnam members will probably appreciate this fact. Although we paused after each pattern for the picture, nothing was prearranged. Sifu simply said, "Let's take some Shaolin Pakua application photos." The rest unfolded spontaneously.

Pictures coming in my next post.
                  Sifu Anthony Korahais
                  www.FlowingZen.com

Comment

The Thread Palm

This is an amazing technique that took me months to do correctly. In Malaysia, Sifu corrected my arm again and again. I think you can see some of this in the videos. In Sifu's recent visit, he said that "Thread Palm" is a development from "Beauty Looks at a Mirror". This was a revelation to me. Notice how close Sifu's fingers are to my face. And notice how well covered Sifu is, but how exposed I am.
                    Sifu Anthony Korahais
                    www.FlowingZen.com

Comment

Pakua Palm Technique

This is one of the many uses of the "Pakua Palm Technique". In this picture, it looks similar to "Dark Dragon Draws Water", but there are subtle differences. In my opinion, the "Pakua Palm Technique" is more forceful and "hard", whereas "Dark Dragon" is softer and more flowing. Although "Dark Dragon" is quite versatile, I was amazed at all the variations Sifu showed for "Pakua Palm". It's now one of my favorite techniques.
                      Sifu Anthony Korahais
                      www.FlowingZen.com

Comment

I love the pattern that strikes at 1:00 into the video. Right after the double punches, when you lean back to block with the right, and then lean forward to strike with the right. I was so sure that you would be striking with the left after that block, when the right stike came it was a total surprise to me. I certainly would have been hit!

-Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                          Since I first saw this set performed on an old video by (Tai)Sipak Goh, it has always fascinated me.
                          Hi, Dave,

Could you please provide the link (url) for the old video?
                          Thanks,
                          Joko
                          开心 好运气

Comment

Originally posted by drop360 View Post
                            I love the pattern that strikes at 1:00 into the video. Right after the double punches, when you lean back to block with the right, and then lean forward to strike with the right. I was so sure that you would be striking with the left after that block, when the right stike came it was a total surprise to me. I certainly would have been hit!

-Matt
                            You're not alone. That's the punch that Sifu got hit with. Sifu was sparring with his sihing Por Kai, who attacked with the Double Dragon punches. This was a trick, tempting Sifu to hold Por Kai's arms, which he did. Por Kai released Sifu's double Tiger Claw using "Hiding Flowers in Sleeves", and then struck with "Fierce Tiger Crosses Valley" (except that Por Kai used a cup fist instead of a horizontal fist). It was just a gentle tap, but it took Sifu more than 6 months to recover from the injury.

This is a great example of the importance of stances and internal force. Without a solid stance and some internal force, punching with the front hand like that is just not powerful. That's why you'll never see kickboxers using the technique.

Joko, here is the link to sihing Goh Kok Hin doing Shaolin Pakua set:
                            Sifu Anthony Korahais
                            www.FlowingZen.com

Comment

Originally posted by Antonius View Post
                              This is an amazing technique that took me months to do correctly. In Malaysia, Sifu corrected my arm again and again. I think you can see some of this in the videos. In Sifu's recent visit, he said that "Thread Palm" is a development from "Beauty Looks at a Mirror". This was a revelation to me. Notice how close Sifu's fingers are to my face. And notice how well covered Sifu is, but how exposed I am.
                              Wow!
                              Anthony Sihing, I appreciate your dedication to practice the "Thread Palms" for months to do it correctly.

What is the name of the pattern, when Sifu doing the "Thread Palm"? (And could you please give the names of all the patterns in the Shaolin Pakua set?)

Another question: Can I say that the pattern looks similar to "Swimming Dragon Plays with Water" (with different hand forms) in the "Shaolin Five Animal Set"? Look at Sifu's stance. Is the stance more related to 'Bow-Arrow Stance' or to 'Sideway Horse Stance'?

Thanks,
                              Joko
                              开心 好运气

Comment

Working...
                              X