Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maitreya Project

Dear Brothers and Sisters,
    This Sunday I was extremely blessed to be able to visit and also provide aid in helping to set up the Maitreya Project tour at UCI. First of all, let me explain to those who do not know what the Maitreya Project is.
    Originally posted by Heart Shrine
    In March 2001, Lama Zopa Rinpoche, Spiritual Director of Maitreya Project, released this rare and precious collection of Buddhist relics for worldwide exhibition. Since then, these sacred relics have been displayed at temples, meditation centres, and other public locations all over the world.

The collection is truly extraordinary. There are many relics of Shakyamuni Buddha and of the Buddha's well-known disciples - Maudgalyayana, Ananda and Sariputra -as well as relics of many other saints and spiritual masters from the Chinese, Indian and Tibetan traditions.

Many living Buddhist masters from a number of traditions and countries, including Burma, Indonesia, Thailand, Tibet and Taiwan, have donated relics to be placed in the Heart Shrine of the Maitreya Project statue, including relics of Shakyamuni Buddha which were offered by His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

The relics are mainly pearl-like 'beads' collected from the ashes of spiritual masters after their cremation. There are also Buddhist artifacts in the collection.

Some of the relics were salvaged from statues in Tibet where they had been enshrined for thousands of years before the Communist occupation in 1959. Other relics were donated by museums and monasteries. Lama Zopa Rinpoche ensures that the relics are genuine before they are put on display.

The Heart Shrine Relic Tour exhibitions are open to the public free of charge, thereby giving everyone the rare opportunity to be in the presence of such priceless holy objects.
    Initially I went to the relic room right after tai chi class and had little idea what to expect. When I entered the relic room I was overwhelmed by the energy there and found myself falling to my knees, prostrating repeatedly and I had an incredible urge to cry. I realized at that moment how great of a sinner I was, and I felt extremely unworthy to be in the relic room. The room had many people walking in circles around the relics, and others practicing seated meditation. It felt so peaceful and very sacred. I prayed that I could somehow take some of this holiness within me and grow as a seed within me so that I may manifest it for all suffering beings.
    Afterwards I left with my friends and had an extremely pleasant lunch. I then decided to spend the whole day at the relic room since this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Ironically (or maybe not?) as I was getting ready to re-enter the relic room I saw some of the volunteers working to set up a large puja offering ceremony for hungry ghosts and to pay homage to the buddhas and bodhisattvas. I asked if they needed a hand and the next thing I knew I would be working beside them for the next three hours moving things about and helping to set up the event. I'm quite proud to have participated in this and since many of the volunteers were friends of mine it was a joyous, occasion of hard work.
    After finally setting up the tables and getting all the instruments and shrine together we began to chant mantras to help all the hungry ghosts that had come for the food we had left them as well as praise many Buddhas and bodhisattvas. Unfortunately, the congregation was in Chinese and most of the people there had memorized most of them so I had trouble keeping up since I didn't read as fast as they did. I would often find myself just starting through the page and they would have moved on to the next one already. I figured that I should go to the relic room again since I wasn't doing much good mantra chanting.
    Coincidentally (or maybe not?) I had just arrived when a local venerable was giving blessings to all those in the relic room. The second time I entered I realized how strong the energy field in the relic room was, I was having noticeable cleansing sensations in my chest and head. To be honest the last time I felt an energy field of this magnitude was with Sifu but I have no idea which one is stronger. So I sat down and enjoyed meditation and smiling from the heart and then after my body was uncomfortable due to the cleansing I just enjoyed being there. The venerable was gracious enough to bless myself and my parents at my request and I remember fondly the love in his eyes, that seemed on the verge of tears. I did feel a little strange after the blessing, a strange feeling at the crown of my head.
    Later I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to help take down the relic room as well as aid in loading everything in the vans. I had the chance to thank the coordinators repeatedly and I remember how much loving kindness I felt from them as we clasped our hands together joyously. By the end of the day I had spent about seven hours there, mostly working, offering God my sweat and labor. I was beyond tired but miraculously happy, or rather so joyful that everything seemed to be a miracle. I also had the opportunity to give some holy water and food blessed by the relics to friends. It felt beautiful, being able to have the privilege to do so.
    Another thing that struck me on that day was how everything that happened that day seemed meant to happen. More so than usual. My friendships with the volunteers, my being at the event, it all seemed like a very obvious manifestation of a plan that went into working a long time ago.
    I am happy too after realizing that through my actions I bring merit to my parents and to Sifu. My parents for giving me this vessel to serve others and Sifu for giving me the means to cleanse and strengthen my body / mind.

I would also like to add that I love all of you and that I hope everyone feels joy and bliss upon reading this.

Yours truly,

Ray
    "Om"

I pay homage to all the great masters of the past and the present

Your hope has been fulfilled in my personal experience (joy and bliss arising upon reading your post). Thank you for sharing this!

I missed my opportunity to visit the Maitreya Project when it came to Mexico - I only knew of it the day it was leaving... with no time or money to buy a plane ticket. You have good roots!

Warm regards,

Bernardo.

Comment

Dear all,

I saw the exhibition of these sharira (spiritual master´s relics that appear after their bodies have been cremated) in Barcelona last year, needless to say I was moved by it!

The Maitreya Project is wonderful.

Regards,
      Daniel Pérez
      http://www.shaolinbcn.es

Comment

Working...
      X