Shamanism- who, what, where, when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by parrapiti View Post
    We just arrived from the Heart of the Amazon, from a magical place where the local communities have managed to get territorial autonomy through their ATI´s (Assocations of Traditioanl Indigenous Authorities), to preserve an area the size of the UK, under the management of the ancestral wisdom of the Jaguar Shamans (now Immaterial Patrimony of the Humanity by Unesco).
    Beautiful news, borther Piti :-) such events are heart warming :-) All the best,
    .•´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`°irene°´¯`•.¸¸. ´¯`•.

---------------------------------------
    “I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being.”
    Hafiz

Comment

Dear Brother,

Thank you very much for your inspiring questions!

I think it is best if I explain some background before I attempt any answers with my personal perspectives:

1. - I am not a shaman and I don´t practice shamanism. What I know about shamanism and shamans is what I have witnessed through my work. For many years I have been taken groups of top decision-makers from the Modern Western World (high executives, political leaders, next generation decision-makers…) to share and exchange perspectives with the Traditional Shamans of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, the Andean region of Putumayo and the Northwestern Amazon Basin in Colombia.

2. - My task as a “bridge” between these two groups of leaders has allowed me to get close to many of them and to have gained their trust and sometimes their close friendship.

3. - The term “shaman” is a generic term used for a wide range of people. I am using the term to refer to the Traditional Payés (Amazon), Taitas (Andean Region) and Mamos (Sierra Nevada) in Colombia. In this sense, a Traditional Shaman is a high-ranking member of a traditional indigenous community, who´s task is to maintain the well being of said community. The way he/she maintains it varies in techniques and methods, but the essence is the same – To restore and maintain harmonic flow of energy between the members of the community, between the community and its ever-changing natural surroundings and between the community and the Cosmic dimensions.

4.- This being said, what I can do is only give my personal perspective to your questions, but not necessarily the full picture or the right one – just my subjective interpretation. I invite you and everyone else to share and add to this thread with other perspectives.

Originally posted by LeeWeiJoo View Post
      What are the similarities that the art the Jaguar Shamans practice (now Immaterial Patrimony of the Humanity by Unesco) have with traditional chinese medicine?

Can you elaborate a bit more on how the shamans in Colombia commune with the cosmos, the spiritual world? Do they experience effects that are similar to what our chi flow gives?

If there are practical benefits from shamanism that can be applied to my daily life here, please share it here...
      5.- A Traditional Shaman (a Payé, Taita or Mamo) finds blockages of energy and breaks them through many different techniques and restores the energy flow. In that sense I find a very close similarity with our Shaolin Arts and TCM in general.

6.- This blockage can have a physical manifestation in the body of one of the members of his community, but it can also manifest emotionally, mentaly or spiritualy. The Traditional Shaman will not necessarily make a differentiation, but see it as a blockage and treat it in the same way. There I see another similarity with our paradigm.

7.- Blockages occur when the individual (or the community…) is not flowing in harmony with the natural or cosmic flow around. Nature and Cosmos change all the time following certain patterns and cycles and the individuals need to adjust to them. When they don´t adjust, blockages of energy occur and disease manifests. Here I see another similarity with the essential postulate of TCM and our Shaolin Arts.

8.- The Traditional Shamans not only work on “curing a disease”, but mainly on maintaining good health and preventing disease from happening. I see a close relationship with this proactive approach and our three levels of managing health through Shaolin Chi Kung – curing, maintaining, preventing.

9.- With this approach, the main objective of the Traditional Shaman is not that of a healer, but more the one of a “master”, who leads others to maintain a healthy, flowing, adequate way of life through constructive conscious habits and discipline. Here I see a great similarity with the vision of SWI and our role as instructors.

10.- The more I learn from Sifu and practice our Shaolin Arts, the more similarities I find between TCM and Traditional Medicine in my part of the world. And the more I find these similarities and connections, the more I am grateful and respectful to Sifu and to the Traditional Elders of the different cultures of the world.

I hope this is a good introduction to continue this thread!

Respectfully,

Your brother,

Piti

Comment

Wonderful post, Sihing, thanks for sharing
        Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
        Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
        Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
        - ancient wisdom

Comment

Dear Piti Sihing,

Thank you for your enlightening answers

With Shaolin Salute,
          Lee Wei Joo
          http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Dear Piti

I have gained a lot of knowledge from your explanation of Shamanism. Indeed there are a lot of similarities on what they do and what we in Shaolin Wahnam do.
            Very grateful to you.

Regards
            yazdi

Comment

Thank you dear Yazdi!

I heard great stories about Sifu´s visit to your part of the World with our dear Brother Eugene!

Looking forward to seeing you again one day!

Your brother,

Piti

Comment

Thank you Dear Piti for the kind words
                Yes we had a great time with Sifu and Eugene.With Sifu around, a great time is always guaranteed.
                It would not have been possible without Eugene's help.
                Your guidance on how to market the course was also very helpful. Very grateful to you.
                Looking forward to meeting you again
                Best Regards
                yazdi

Comment

Dear Brothers Parra Pitti & Lee Wei Joo, thanks for extending the inspiration on this thread!
                  Very enjoyable and educational!

Best Wishes
                  James
                  Aaahhhhh!

Comment

Working...
                  X