Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Art of Happiness

Greetings, everyone!

I open this thread to create a place for us to share with eachother anything that brings us happiness.

Please feel free to post anything that has brought you joy; this could be anything from a link to a video clip of a child playing with a puppy to a list of things that you love to do.

Also feel free to post ways that you've found joy through your Shaolin training, stories that make you smile, jokes that make you laugh. Anything happy.

I hope that this thread will be a nice resource for anyone that is having difficulty smiling from the heart. Of course the forum already has plenty of good news and stories of people growing and becoming more joyful through training, but they are a bit scattered about and sometimes are found inbetween stories of struggle and pain.

By creating a specific thread on happiness, I hope to make a place that guarantees a smile every time you visit.

Happy posting!
    Erica

Good news!

Hello everyone,

Perhaps you have also noticed that lately the media seems to be focusing more and more on negative things. Particularly stories which frighten people (and hence get their attention and make them watch). More and more, the media seems to be exaggerating small bad incidents and ignoring all the good things that happen every day.

So where does all the good news go? Not too long ago I came across "GNN"...the Good News Network, a website that scans other media sources for good news and collects them onto one site. (Actually, this site was the source of inspiration for this thread!) Here is the link:

Your daily source for only good news: Inspiring stories and images from around the world will make you feel uplifted, optimistic and positive about life.

I have been checking it regularly and it is always nice to know that at the click of a button I can read about something good that's happening in the world. I decided to post it on this forum for two reasons: One, I wanted to share something positive with my Shaolin brothers and sisters (and any guests on the forum!). The other reason is because the site occasionally posts articles that I feel relate to our training, specifically to our training in the art of happiness.

Recently they had a nice article about happiness:

You can make yourself happier – and it doesn’t have to be a long-term ambition. You can start right now. In the next hour, check off as many of the following items as possible.

...which I believe in several ways resonates with our Shaolin training. Here's a quote:

Some people worry that wanting to be happier is a selfish goal. To the contrary. Studies show that happier people are more sociable, likeable, healthy, and productive—and they’re more inclined to help other people. So in working to boost your own happiness, you’re benefiting others as well.

I hope that you enjoy the site!
    Erica

PS: This post was originally posted here:

Comment

I think this will become a wonderful thread --- a place for us to remember to smile. Thank you for starting it, Erica.
      Sifu Andrew Barnett
      Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
      Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
      Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Indeed! I couldn't agree more with Andrew's sentiment. It's a great idea, Erica. I look forward to seeing what others have to say, and of course, I'll post something too.
        Emiko Hsuen
        www.shaolinwahnam.jp
        www.shaolinwahnam.ca

INTENSIVE & SPECIAL COURSES -- PENANG 2018
        Taught by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
        4th generation successor of the Southern Shaolin Monastery
        Small and Big Universe Course: Nov 21 to 25
        Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner: Nov 26 to Dec 2
        Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy: Dec 2 to Dec 8
        Intensive Chi Kung Course: Dec 9 to Dec 13
        To apply, send email to: secretary@shaolin.org

Comment

Thank you, Sifu and Sisook.

Greetings everyone!

Below is a link to a video that brings me much joy. I hope you enjoy it too!

"Free Hugs Campaign"
          Get your "Free Hugs" t-shirts here:http://www.sickpuppiesmerch.net/21-free-hugsDownload the "Free Hugs" soundtrack here:http://www.itunes.com/sickpuppies Pic...

Smiling,
          Erica

Comment

This video was shown to me by a good fried of mine. Anyone who thinks this isn't cute, has a heart of stone!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Alex
            "All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain...."

Comment

Thanks Erica sije for this thread.

The first thing that comes to my mind is the smile on my wife and childrens faces.

The funny things that my kids do and say at their age at the moment (2 and 4 yrs old) which seems to happen daily at their age.

Practising Shaolin Kung Fu.

Recieving two great phone call in recent weeks. One from a dear old friend. Another from my beloved sister who has been in much trouble for the last 12-15 years but seems to be a little better now.

Thats it for now.

Comment

Very cool video on "free hugs". Brought bitter-sweet tears of happiness. So simple, so rarely done.

Speaking my mind has recently brought me happiness, it also brought me up hard against the reality of a situation.

Ski-ing on the edge (my edge) down a field of bumps. Exhilarating and uncomfortable.

Being on holiday and realising my son is growing up (obviously ). He got himself up every morning, sorted out his ski clothes, made himself breakfast and skied his own path. Happiness and a realisation our relationship is changing.

I have been in touch lately with the fact that my happiness isn't a dead,lifeless balance it is adaptive variability. Being alive to what is happening in my life internally and externally. The good news is it means I am alive to change and the uncomfortable news is I am alive to change.

With metta,

Barry
                Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
                Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
                Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
                UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
                sigpic

Comment

Something cute, a Shiatsu expert Cat :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WA-g1z1V4...elated&search=

And a heartwarming inspiration for us humans -always quarreling- ... Who said cats and dogs were unfriendly? :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bKh871zdQ...elated&search=

Ahhh, the universal healing power of giving a massage can really vanish animosity, suffering and diseases.

With Peace,

Maxime

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

Here's some more from me:

Doing good deeds for the less fortunate such as a beggar on the street and charity donations also gives me great inner joy. Seeing others do this also brings great joy to my heart.

Reading about the good things chi kung has done for people has always bring a smile to my face.

Also, those old episodes from friends where Ross got his tanning all messed up, his leather trousers phrase and the white teeth episode. Fantastic. Lots of chuckling. Forty Towers is also hilarious and timeless.

Listening to old skool hip hop and R&B brings back my teenage years in a very relaxed way with lots of fond memories - the hair, ridiculous clothes, the ego, hours in the gym to build muscles to look good........hindsight is a great thing.

And now, I am going for a "big round belly". Full of chi I hope. Not full of beer & kebabs......although the beers and kebabs are putting up a decent fight for their share of space

And last but by no means least, being a Shaolin Wahnam student. This not only makes me happy but it also helps me to become a happier person.

All these little things leads to many happy hours and days and as my sifu once said to a group of us which sticks in my mind......."a happy life is made up of happy days".

Comment

Dealing with Beggars

Dear brothers and sisters,
                      Now that Martin Sihing has brought this up I was wondering if anyone had any advice on dealing with beggars who ask for money. I've always been a bit conflicted on whether or not I should give them any because I have heard that it is unsafe or that they do bad things with the money given. But I really do wish I could help them in someway. Generally I refuse and pray for them later.

Best,

Ray
                      "Om"

I pay homage to all the great masters of the past and the present

Comment

Ray,

Would you mind asking that question in a different thread. Somehow I think the flow of this thread would be better if we focus on the main theme.

Thanks.
                        Sifu Andrew Barnett
                        Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
                        Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
                        Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Sije Erica,

If you happen to read this I was just wondering if your title of this thread came from the Dailia Lama's book which is also called "The Art of Happiness" or is this just a coincidence. Its a great book by the way and I would recommend it to anyone.

Hi Ray,

Regarding your post above I'll send you a private message with my own experiences and views as I agree with sipak Andrew and don't want to divert from the subject of this thread but quickly, I just want to say I don't give money to beggars, I offer to get them food from nearby Kentucky, shops etc.

Also to clarify, I give charity organisations money, not food

Kindest regards

Martin

Comment

I lent my friend Abi the "The Art of Chi Kung: Making the Most of Your Vital Energy" book and she really liked it so I bought her a copy. I just got an email from her today saying:

"you are such a star, thank you ever so much for the book. Funny thing is, I am so tired at the moment every muscle in my body aches, I feel like a cat stretching out constantly and the book arrived at the most perfect time."

That made me happy. Hopefully she'll make it to the summer camp too!

Eddie

Comment

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for contributing to this thread. It has been a joy for me to read your posts. Alex, thank you for the very cute panda video. Maxime, where can I get one of those massage cats? Martin, Barry, and Eddie, thank you for sharing things that make you happy. I smiled deeply when I read them.

Martin: The title of this thread actually came as a suggestion from Sisook Andrew. But that is a very nice book, and I also recommend it to anyone.

A few things that made me happy today:

Sitting on a fresh green field in a park on a sunny day.
                              Watching a little child play with a little dog.
                              Watching kids play hide-and-go-seek.
                              Swinging on a swingset.
                              Dancing and laughing with my friends.
                              Meeting two people and learning about their lives.

Looking forward to reading more posts!
                              Erica

Comment

Working...
                              X