Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jing, Chi, Shen, all are taken into account

Kind Sifu Tim,

Thankyou for your reply, it certainly gave me food for thought. (or fuel for practice!) Your post sits very happily with me!

I've had some time now to consider where I am, and where I'm going. My focus now is on Lifting Water, which enables me to practice the core skill of Zhan Zhuang - Relaxing... (x3!)

I was going to stick with the Horse Stance, but found (or rather was shown) that Lifting Water helps me better relax my chest and shoulders. Chi often forms me into this form during my chi flows, and it feels 'just right'.

I now have a better understanding of Jing, Chi, and Shen now, thanks to your response and the direct effect it had on my training.

As a sidenote, here's something I wrote down recently about 'Chat Ma' or 'Tying up a Horse' -

'Having seen the error in letting the Horse run amok in the field, I chained it tightly to a post. I chained it too tightly, however, and watched it thrash about, somewhat suffocated.

I still keep the Horse firmly tied to the post at appropriate times, but am more gentle with it now. In this way, the Horse has been far better behaved when taken out to ride.'

Thanks again Sifu Tim!

May everyone enjoy their practice!

Namo Amitabha Buddha, Namo Amitabha Buddha, Namo Amitabha Buddha

Comment

Dear Sifu Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to explain your thoughts here. I really enjoyed reading your post. My own personal experience in recent weeks with Golden Bridge really resonates with what you say in your post. Particularly:

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      Chi can lead to Jing
      In recent weeks, I very frequently get experiences where half way through my Golden Bridge practice, it feels as if my chi is condensing - giving a feeling that my arms, body and legs are forging into steel during my practice. Its certainly not because I am tensing up as I feel just as relaxed when this begins to happen as I was in my first few breaths. Very interesting. But not very attached to it .

Kindest regards

Martin

Comment

Oops..

Dear Friends,

Just realized that I've confused Lifting Water with Carrying Water... My chosen Zhang Zhuang method is the latter - Horse Stance with both arms at the sides parallel to the floor, not the TaiJiQuan force training found at the start of most TaiJi sets..

Sorry for my confusions

Thankfully,

- Max

Namo Amitabha Buddha, Namo Amitabha Buddha, Namo Amitabha Buddha

Comment

I find all chi kung very relaxing, but there's something special with abdominal breathing. Sometimes what feels like five minutes on thirty breaths turns out to be over ten minutes..
          When one door closes, another one opens.

Comment

Hi, I was just reviewing my goals that I posted some time ago regarding horse stance and one finger shooting zen. For the time being I'm focusing on Shaolinquan.
            I read the following advice
            Originally posted by Sihing Anthony
            Personally, I don't teach One Finger Zen until my students can do a 5-minute horse stance. Counting repetitions is one way of doing things, but you can also just forget about the reps, and instead, allocate 5 minutes (or more) to the practice.
            from this thread: http://wongkiewkit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39421

The five minute mark has been a long way off for me for some time, which is silly given how long I've been at it. Thus, it's my priority to hit five minutes or 100 breaths this year. Going by the quote above, I'm thinking I ought to focus more on golden bridge over one finger shooting zen. I'm wondering if this is a correct approach, and if I'm going to do a bit of one finger shooting zen, what should the mix be? I'm looking at this article to see some strategies for mixing my training a bit:
            A selection of answers provided by Sifu Wong Kiew Kit to questions asked by the public on Shaolin Kungfu, Chi Kung, Taijiquan and Zen

Any input is always appreciated!

Best
            Chia-Hua

Comment

Hello Chai Hua,
              You can practice Golden Bridge only to reach your 5min goal or you may only practice O.F.S.Z. daily to reach your goal or you may practice each one on alternate days. There is no hard or fast rule.
              The key to progress in stance training, or with anything for that matter is regular, correct practice. I believe to progress in stances this should be daily.

So, RELAX, RELAX RELAX & PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

And ENJOY your training.

Comment

There is no hard or fast rule.
                The key to progress in stance training, or with anything for that matter is regular, correct practice.
                Sihing, thank you for the advice and reminder! Sometimes I get caught up in details, a reminder of what's truly important is good for me.

Best,
                Chia-Hua

Comment

I should probably update my comment. I still wait to teach students One Finger Zen because I feel that it's easier for them to learn to relax in zhan zhuang. But the interesting thing is that most of my students are now able to do a nice, relaxed 5-minute horse stance in a month or two.

My senior students are able to easily do a 15- or 20-minute, relaxed horse stance (or One Finger Zen). So the newer students don't view 5 minutes as difficult. They have their eyes on 15 minutes, so 5 minutes seems easy.

I sympathize with those who struggle for a 5-minute horse stance because I did the same thing myself years ago. All I can say is -- stop struggling.
                  Sifu Anthony Korahais
                  www.FlowingZen.com
                  (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Chai Hua,
                    To help you reach your goal in Golden Bridge, set yourself small targets to reach each week, such as relaxing further, keeping your mind clearer durring the stance, gradually extending the time you are in the stance, as examples. And post an update on this thread in 6 weeks with your progress.
                    Enjoy your practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Clarke View Post
                      Chai Hua,
                      To help you reach your goal in Golden Bridge, set yourself small targets to reach each week, such as relaxing further, keeping your mind clearer durring the stance, gradually extending the time you are in the stance, as examples. And post an update on this thread in 6 weeks with your progress.
                      Enjoy your practice.
                      Thank you for the suggestions, those are all things that I need to work on.

All I can say is -- stop struggling.
                      It's one of those things that one can know intellectually; somehow I "forget" those three golden rules during practice, maybe because I'm caught up with my own craving. Thank you for the reminders all!

See you 6 weeks,
                      Chow

Comment

Working...
                      X