Staying Alive with Your Aims & Objectives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings to my Shaolin family and guests,

For the past couple of weeks my Kung Fu training had been a bit "sluggish". Instead of feeling better and better during training, I felt like I was doing just a typical physical activity. I was wondering what was happening when I came across this passage from The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu, by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit:

Why do many people practise Kung Fu for years yet obtain little benefit, while others make tremendous progress within a comparatively short time? One important reason, among others, is that many people practise aimlessly, whereas the fast students are clear about the benefits they are aiming for.

I had found my answer! The crystal-clear goal that I had after Sifu Emiko's Tokyo courses had gradually started to fade. And with it went the quality of my training.

When I went to practice that night, I kept my goal firmly in mind. (My goal being to achieve the "radiant health" of the Shaolin masters)

What an incredible difference it made! I realized that by not having a clear goal intended for my training, I was actually blocking myself from getting the full benefits of my practice.

With my goal clear and strong, I felt my body making adjustments to improve my stances and movements. And as I continued training, I kept feeling better and better.

By being clear about what we want from our practice, our body has the ability to make wonderful things happen. If we practice aimlessly, the body doesn't know what we want, and therefore doesn't know what adjustments to make for us. Practicing aimlessly actually blocks our ability to receive all the great benefits of our training! Yet with a clear objective in mind, our body automatically adjusts and repositions us to put us on track to achieve our goal.

I found a renewed gratefulness for my body, which is infinitely smarter than I had ever realized before.

And many, many thanks to Sigung for giving me that advice about goals just when I needed it.

Smiling,
    Erica

Comment

Hello all,

I'd like to thank Erica for her brilliant post that "hits the nail squarely on the head".

I couldn't have summed up aims and objectives better myself.

I sometimes like to think of my main aim as my Vision. Like Erica's:

My goal being to achieve the "radiant health" of the Shaolin masters
      A Vision is so much stronger than an objective, especially in keeping your practice fresh and enjoyable. For those of you who are experiencing your practice as "a typical physical activity" (don't we all from time to time? I certainly do). Make sure your vision is clear, simple and really excites you, and review it daily. Then you too can re-experience the incredible joys of your practice.

Thanks again Erica for your insightful post.

Kind regards
      Marcus
      Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha

Comment

Hello! I'd like to give this thread a shot and hopefully my seniors can offer some advice. That said, thank you in advance!

Right now my aim is to acquire basic skills that will allow me to train in Wahnam Taijiquan, or Shaolinquan. I haven't made up my mind on what I'll pursue, so I want to tailor my training program to apply to both.
        In the short term, my objectives are:
        Improving footwork combined with striking (eg a drag step plus Black Tiger Steals Heart)
        Spacing: so knowing where the ends of my hands are.
        Getting the basic punch with correct form
        and finally
        Easing away social anxiety and general mental tension.
        Currently I prefer to have on main practice session in the evening, and have the morning session be a "bonus", since I prefer to stay up late. If I do have time in the morning it's usually lifting the sky. For my "real practice session":

Standing meditation/entering zen
        Lifting the sky
        Short Chi flow
        One finger shooting zen (first part only)
        Other stances (about 20 breaths each)
        Chi flow into =>
        Flexibility => rotating knees, 3 levels to ground, dancing crane, dancing fairy)
        basic footwork => drag step, arrow step, with or without punch
        Stationary punching to a wall (not actually hitting it, just seeing how close I get to the wall)
        Chi flow
        Closing sequence
        On alternate days I would like to include sinew metamorhposis, and perhaps incorporate some taijiquan such as grasping sparrows tail and cloud hands into the regimen. Otherwise training Lohan Asks the Way.
        The above probably represents the ideal that I aim for in a training program, but in reality I might find myself cutting this short here and there. If anything, I want one-finger shooting zen to be there. I was instructed that I can perform both one-finger shooting zen and regular zhan zhuang in the same sesh, though not the best approach. I wonder if it'd be okay to do zhan zhang in the AM and One finger shooting zen in the afternoon?
        Sorry for the long post. Any admonitions to "Keep it simple, stupid!" are greatly appreciated!
        Chow

Comment

Hi Chow

I can offer some advice and hopefully others may chip in also.

Originally posted by Chiahua View Post
          Right now my aim is to acquire basic skills that will allow me to train in Wahnam Taijiquan, or Shaolinquan. I haven't made up my mind on what I'll pursue, so I want to tailor my training program to apply to both.
          This is fine, but the sooner you can choose it means you can specify what you train and keep it more simple to develop skills.

Improving footwork combined with striking (eg a drag step plus Black Tiger Steals Heart)
          and finally
          These are good objectives. For footwork see: http://shaolin.org/video-clips-3/int...nt/move-2.html
          In order to get good basics it is important to spend a good time period training Black Tiger (basic punch), emphasising the three external harmonies.

Your routine looks good, the only adjustments I would make are ensure you have one full chi flow following lifting the sky (for cleansing) and then have short gentle flows (swaying breeze) following stance training and one finger Zen. I would also spend longer in the final Golden Bridge than the other stances and gradually build up the time in Golden Bridge, I would also do One Finger Zen after stance training.

The spacing against a wall is good to start, once you get the hang of it I would spend more time training sequences and if you can train with a partner, then that would be best to work on spacing and timing.

If you decide to train Shaolin Kung Fu then I would begin learning the basic sequences following the video series "The Sabah Kung Fu Show" or the one I linked earlier. If you choose Tai Chi Chuan then do the same with the Tai Chi sequences following the video series.

On alternate days I would like to include sinew metamorhposis,
          If you have learned from Sigung then you could incorporate this around three times a week, perhaps to finish your session followed by standing meditation.

and perhaps incorporate some taijiquan such as grasping sparrows tail and cloud hands into the regimen.
          One of my Tai Chi brothers would be better qualified to answer, but you could certainly incorporate either or both into your routine.

Otherwise training Lohan Asks the Way.
          This is a good set to train correctness of form and breath control, I would also begin to learn the other sequences and sets.

The above probably represents the ideal that I aim for in a training program, but in reality I might find myself cutting this short here and there.
          You can develop a short, medium and full training session. Ranging from just lifting the sky, to stance training, to everything.

If anything, I want one-finger shooting zen to be there. I was instructed that I can perform both one-finger shooting zen and regular zhan zhuang in the same sesh, though not the best approach.
          Unless it was under special circumstances the usual advice is that you can train stance training and one finger zen in the same session, normally finishing with one finger zen.

I wonder if it'd be okay to do zhan zhang in the AM and One finger shooting zen in the afternoon?
          You can do this or you can do them in the same session.

All the best

Comment

Originally posted by Chiahua View Post

and finally
            I'd like to suggest rephrasing your last goal to make it a positive statement.

For example, instead of "Easing away from social anxiety and general mental tension", you could rephrase it as
            "To become confident in social situations and have a calm mind."

The way the goal is currently phrased, it is possible that you could inhibit your progress because "easing away social anxiety" doesn't give you a particular direction of focus. It states what you don't want, but your mind and body don't have any idea of what you do want.

With a positively phrased goal, your body will know exactly what adjustments to make to assist you in achieving your goals!

Happy training,
            Erica

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny Say View Post

Unless it was under special circumstances the usual advice is that you can train stance training and one finger zen in the same session, normally finishing with one finger zen.
              Thank you for the valuable corrections. I was indeed given advice that I could do both, though I imagine it's sort of an excercise left to the practitioner to decide how much time to spend in each. For now I really am enjoying one-finger zen. I'm finding it also to be beneficial for breath control, similar to shooting arrows. I think I have sort of a short-medium-long practice scheme floating around in my head, though it is not something yet formalized on paper/spreadsheet. I'll do this soon because it seems a good exercise.

Many thanks Sihing!
              Chow

Comment

Originally posted by Erica View Post

With a positively phrased goal, your body will know exactly what adjustments to make to assist you in achieving your goals!

Happy training,
                Erica
                Great point! I have a tendency to think in terms of "avoidance of negative states" rather than "moving towards positive goals". Fortunately despite not using charts of spreadsheets, I yet have a decent idea of the progress I've made (another reason why in-person training is crucial).

Comment

Some advice from a Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan practitioner

and perhaps incorporate some taijiquan such as grasping sparrows tail and cloud hands into the regimen.
                  If you decide to practice Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan ideally it would be best to include both in your practice. If you are still unsure then my preference would be for cloud hands, as it is simpler to include in your practice.

However, I agree with Jonny - the sooner you choose the easier your training will become. Of course I will recommend Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan - but you have to find what's right for you...

Pete
                  "Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day." Sally Koch

Comment

Originally posted by TaiChiPete View Post
                    However, I agree with Jonny - the sooner you choose the easier your training will become. Of course I will recommend Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan - but you have to find what's right for you...
                    Many on this forum have made this difficult choice. Do I choose a Ferrari or a Lamborghini ? I'll do a forum search later, but I do recall there being a few threads where people aired their own thoughts and feelings on their choices. In relation to this thread however, I surmise that both arts fulfill the same goals, and differ only subtly.
                    Happy training,
                    Chow

Comment

Dear family,
                      Lately I've realized the importance of creating measurable aims and objectives. In the past in order to pursue my goal of greater confidence and courage I worked on my stance training. However I ended losing sight of my chief aim and focusing too much on the number of breaths I can hold my stances in.
                      Living a rather a hectic schedule while traveling around Asia, I've come to realize that I need to bring my focus back to my chief aim, and make sure that I can quantify and measure my progress while I train with my chief aim in mind.
                      I've realized that while I aim high, it's important to set quantifiable aims (or you could label them as objectives) or else it's really easy to get frustrated.
                      "Om"

I pay homage to all the great masters of the past and the present

Comment

Which arts to pick?

Hello everyone!

I decided it was high time to review my aims and objectives recently and, having been lucky enough to have tasted the wonders of such a great variety of our Shaolin Arts, came up with some queries about the results that certain practices are purported to give.

With the 18 Lohan Hands, I've come to realise the truth in the statement that in theory and with dedicated practice (providing we have the neccessary skills), any of the patterns can bring us results x, y, z ect, although the road to our goals might have different scenery along the way depending on which of the patterns we practice.

My questions concern some of the more advanced Chi Kung we have been so fortunate to inherit.

Providing all other factors are equal, what will the differences be between someone who chooses to build and consolidate force, using say Horse Stance as his method, and someone who chooses to develop flowing force using One Finger Shooting Zen? What benefits are there to consolidation that can't be found in generating forceful flow, and vice versa?

In addition, what will result from practicing Three Circle stance, and what from Golden Bridge? I know that the results are similar, and that Golden Bridge has a focus on building Jing, whereas Three Circle focuses on building Chi, but in translating the benefits to our daily living, and in terms of our Kung Fu development, what benefits can each stance give us?

Also, what are the expected results of practicing Goat stance, with the palms facing up at chest level, that are unique to that stance?

Martially, and in daily life, how can I apply Jing, and how can I apply Chi? Given that the two are in a constant state of flux, why are there methods that emphasise one over the other? The overlap in functions and the subtleties of the two terms are something I would like some more clarity on.

I don't personally plan to neglect either aspect in my training, but I know that some Wahnam family members emphasise flow, and some consolidation, some Chi and some Jing, and was hoping that some of our Seniors could give some examples of good reasons (aims and objectives) for training one way or the other.

Also, again providing all things are equal, what would be the results of solely practicing Cosmic Shower, compared to only practicing Sinew Metamorphosis? I know that the two arts can give us similar results in some repects, such as mental clarity, and that both arts can be used as powerful tools for cleansing, but I would prefer to hone my skills in one art at a time, rather than splitting my attention between the two.

Essentially, I'm looking for some guidance as to which 'road to walk down', so to speak! I'm stuck at a crossroads, and all the routes are so good!
                        I would like a yard stick by which to gauge my training.

I understand that these are theoretical questions, and in practice results are subject to numerous factors...and I promise these questions do actually relate to me looking for some direct experiential confirmation of the results the arts are purported to give, not just intellectuallizing....

Looking forward to any advice!

Shaolin Salute,

Max

Namo Amitabha Buddha, Namo Amitabha Buddha, Namo Amitabha Buddha

Comment

Hi Max,

I know some of your questions can be found on the Q&A - for instance, the difference between training Golden Bridge or One Finger Shooting Zen - but since you can't go wrong with either way, I have the feeling that we generally aren't purportedly told to practice this or that (besides the special cases of course) because we inadvertently choose what suits us better. I suppose that's a natural consequence of our training: like the chi, we go were we need to go

Having that said, I am both training some Golde Bridge and One Finger Shooting Zen hehehe I like both exercises very much, and I want to lay the fundamentals just right.

Comment

Hello brother,

One thing that you may find useful is to gently consider what areas you would like to improve and why. These areas could be in your daily life, in your practice, in yourself - anything you wish. Then, you can choose the exercises that will help you transform your weakness(es) into strength(s).

Best wishes,

Comment

Thankyou!

Hey guys,

Thanks for your responses. I'll review the Q&A. I'll forget about the questions for now and follow your advice James.

When I've formulated some ideas and a training routine, I'll post it up to see what people think.

Thankyou, brothers,

Regards,

Max

Namo Amitabha Buddha, Namo Amitabha Buddha, Namo Amitabha Buddha

Comment

Hi Max,

I took your questions and spun one of them to my students - How would you demonstrate the use of Chi or Jing into your daily life, and could you tell which was which, and if so what does each mean?

Last night they all came back with good answers so thank you for your questions, they are very good. Secondly, I hope that my students give you some answers to my question that will that lead you to your own answers.

In the meantime I would like to share something with you:

For a number of years my actual brother (not just Kung Fu brother) has been in a state of flux where a majority of time he has felt ungrounded and in many respects suffered confusion of the emotion, spirit and mind. Whilst he had already attained a high level of experience and understanding of chi and ability to heal others he found it a challenge to bring a firm foundation into his own life.

He is well versed in Tai Chi but daily training of stances was just not his bag, if you know what I mean. As a result he had still not found anything that enabled him to build his Jing...ahhh, that is where this is going.

He had no problem with chi flow, in fact it probably flowed too much (everything must be in balance).

However, over the last 4 months he has been working on farms and doing a lot of manual labour. During this labour (kung fu) he did not have to much time to think, he had to just do and certainly had to work his body. In a way you could describe it as - he was focussing on a single point whilst being fully present in his body.

As a result when we recently spoke his change in Jing was noticeable. But what was his Jing and how did I know it was Jing?

I knew it was his jing that had developed because it resonated in his voice and spirit, his mind and emotions had a certain purpose to them and his mental clarity was clearer. It had reached a level where his chi had manifested into matter - that was his Jing!

My brother knows how to relax so his work was done with a relaxed state of mind, body and spirit. But as his input was on a body felt level, not just mind, it was Jing that developed and not just Chi.

Chi can lead to Jing, but there is no Jing unless there is a body to reside in, Chi on the other hand is everywhere. We cannot tap into Jing in the same way as we can tap into Chi, yet Jing can be developed through tapping into Chi...if that makes sense.

So can you develop Jing through Three Circle? Sure! Can you Tap into Chi through Horse? Sure. Can you tap into either from either stance? Sure. Is one better than the other?

Now that is the question, isn't it!

I have met Tai Chi Chuan practitioners in our school with incredible internal force and they practice Three Circle Stance on the whole, not Golden Bridge.

I have also trained with Kung Fu practitioners in our School with excellent internal force from Golden Bridge.

Is Chi better than Jing?

In my experience high level of Jing cannot be reached without the practice of Chi.

When we talk about Chi though we are often talking about the flow of Chi. Jing on its own may not be as useful as the ability to allow Chi to flow. If you consider that Jing is the ability to manifest Chi into matter than you will want to train Chi.

Luckily for you, as it has already been suggested, both exercises are good for you, so you don't need to worry. If you are relaxed on all levels, in any of the stances you practice then as long as you practice consistently (and that is the key) then you will benefit.

The question is not then is one better than the other, but 'what do you want'?

What do you want?

This will depend on the following:

Where are you now?

What do you want for you future - both immediate and long term.

If you can answer them then training path will be easier. If you do not know then do not worry, just continue with your training as you have been shown and benefits will come.

Let me know how this sits with you.

Best wishes

Tim
                                Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
                                A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X