No announcement yet.

What the?? Is that real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly! Why on earth do they call it Tai CHI if chi isnt real?

What have they been doing in China for over thousands of years? Waving their hands around for fun? OR ancient India and Tibet? Highly realised master spending years, going through great hardships, cultivating what?
    And then, when some masters happen to have trained diligintly and sincerely for years and years, under more famous great masters, and they show it, people criticise it (as if they know what it looks like) and accuse them of being fakes. THen they say, "Oh, he only does it on his students..." 1. How do you know for sure? 2. Maybe its true, because people arent open enough yet 3. If he is a real master, why on earth would he care so much about appeasing people's mundane desires?

Comment

Tai Chi is actually Taijiquan. The "Chi" in Tai Chi Chuan (anglicised spelling) is not the same as the "chi" or "qi" in Chi Kung (Qigong).

From Sifu's webpages:
      The "chi" in "Tai Chi Chuan" is different from the "chi" in "chi kung". In the phonetic Romanized Chinese, the former is spelt as "ji", meaning "ultimate", and the latter as "qi", meaning "energy".
      Sifu Andrew Barnett
      Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
      Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
      Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

oh, ok then (d'oh!)

you still get my point though...

Comment

hey everyone, I've been watching Dr. Yeung's videos for a while now and continue to be impressed. I think EVERYONE should watch these.

1976 demonstration ( what's the name of the kick at 1:39, it looks similar to the reverse horse kick, but is it?)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

1992 demonstration

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

1989 demonstration (my personal favorite, look at how high he lifts the guy at 00:11 and how fast his chain-punches are from 2:48-2:49, I counted 10 punches in that single second!)

Last edited by sonwukong; 5 May 2008, 08:41 PM.

"HER-IT!"

Comment

From my very limited experience, empty force is real, and not all that hard to do. I'm not speaking of using it defensively, or against a resisting opponent, but causing someone's body to move with your intention/energy is pretty easy.

A fun experiment - have someone stand, relaxed, with their back to you. Stand about 10-15 feet behind them, and tell them to let you know if they feel your hands on any part of their body. That's really more just a distraction to make sure they're not just going along with what you're trying to do. Then, just push your hands with intent toward them, and to the right or left, and forward and back. You'll see that their body moves with your hands and intent. It's pretty funny.

It was explained to me, and I've read, that empty force training is more for the receiver's benefit than to prove how awesome the giver is. It trains sensitivity to energy/intent. And that, again I've been told, leads to knowing what your opponent will do before they physically do it.

I know from experience that if you really slow down, it is possible to feel someone's intent before they strike. I'm sure with practice, more sensitivity, and a higher level of skill, this would be possible with full speed application.

-Matt

Comment

I have a question, is what is shown in the second scene of the 1992 demonstration fa jing or exploding force as it is taught in our school?

I should clarify that I am a Wahnam student but only of Chikung I have not begun learning kungfu yet.
              from the ♥

Comment

Hi Shaolin Mike,
                Originally posted by shaolin_mike View Post
                I have a question, is what is shown in the second scene of the 1992 demonstration fa jing or exploding force as it is taught in our school?
                I think whats shown there is just a good shoulder stroke. Its well known in Wing Chun, there's a nice one at 36seconds here:
                I found this video on http://www.wingchun.edu.au/ It has some really awesome demonstrations. The full video is available there, but I borrowed a few parts an...

(...but what I really want to know is what the scales are reading at the end!!!)

Its really famous in taiji of course and Baji too:

I really like this clip it reminds me of Tekken so much! (A nice shoulder stroke at 1min18)

Mark

Comment

That's good but there is something better

Empty force the way there using is a very weak and low level use of internal force. When i first met my sifu he gave me a shock with his internal power he had amazing control of it. He could take this energy and have it move in patterens on my skin like a circle, triangle and etc. He could control the frequency and amplitude of the energy. I asked him if it was chi and he said, "no it was more like an rf frequency you have to convert the chi into a more productive energy." He could also move people at will and it was not like an influence or strong magnetic force he hit you with it. Since that life changing demonstration i have since became his student. I can now do all the above. The experiences i had when i first started training in nei kung was sparks of energy always flew of my arms it felt like static electricity and i got very hot when ever i practiced. The science of empty force the way that the use it works as follows. It is accomplished with years of standing meditation and some art like tai chi but why? The answer is this the standing practice builds thru extreme relaxation and extreme tension, meditation alone also builds and strengthen yi, and certain postures circulate chi for specific purposes. What does this do? Well with all of these princibles combined is to build yi or intent in the body to the point that it can have influence on other people. Yes i know you guys want a more scientific explanation so here we go. Standing meditataon when done right puts alot of pressure on the legs, you have your 4 magor chi vessels in your legs. So when your in that low static posture blood, chi, and heat go to your legs which starts to fill up your your 8 chi vessels which starts to flow into your dantiens which then flow to your 12 major meridains. Making the whole structure hot and starts to synthesize your nerves to be able handle more and more energy. Being in meditation while standing builds your electromagnetic force or yi not just in the mind like sitting mediation but also in the body too and balances your chi and lets it circulate natrualy. Your bones are also piezetic meaning when ever pressure is put on your bones it creates vibratory feeling (think about it has anyone ever hit you in the shoulder and your shoulder vibrated where you were hit at) but when enough pressure is but on the bones thru the heat it creates a eletromagnetic fluid in the body which can be condensed and stored in the dantien. The first time i ever experienced empty force was in a sparring match and this was also my first upper level fight with a white crane stylist named gordon but he used his differently than what has been said. The match started off with my left knee going out and at that precise moment he attacked like an animal and i was in the most intense session of chi sau in my life. He was a little better than me in skill but that was cool because i just found my new sparring buddy. After the match i told me that he got the jump on me because right at the beginning of the match my knee gave out and he said,"oh i did that." At first i did not know what to think but he was able to do it at will and he gave me a comprehensive understanding chi. At that time in my training i did not know of such things. He described what he did to my knee was like this your body emits heat and chi and it leaves your body in vapory like way i just used my empty force to blow that vapory essence away form your knee like blowing a candle out from the wind of a strike. Once this was done you for a short while lost the use of your knee but it came back as soon as you took your next breath and your chi circulated. That was six years ago and since then i learned a lot more. I found my own nei kung master and i have a lot of knowledge that i want to share it with people on this forum i've been reading it for some time. All i can say about the masters who demonstrate empty force is that there is a higher form of it, and you can use it better. I already gave examples.

Comment

Another experience i had

Now i'll tell you tell you an encounter i had with an empty force master. There was this demo of chinese martial arts in columbus ohio about 3yrs ago. At the end of the demo they had this guy doing empty force on people and anyone was a loud on stage to feel it. So i went up and so could he to do it on me. He tried it on me and nothing happened. I just looked at him like he was stupid. He asked what style i took and i said nei kung and his mouth dropped. I asked to see his hand and i sent a shock of internal power to his hand and made it move in a circle on his hand. I looked at him and said not enough so i then sent 3 blasts of internal power to his hand at once and made them move around on his hand. To end if off i started to send him small blasts of internal power to his hand faster than he could count. He was speechless and i said you are not practising a real system of energy culitvation or nei kung. He tried to ask me questions but i just walked off i feel that i have already shown him enough.

Comment

I'm not sure if it was empty force or shen, but in January I was observing Sifu demonstrating a point to other students.

He performed Black Tiger steals Heart (basic punch) in several directions, and eventually one came in mine.
                      I was about five or six meters away, and clearly felt a poke in my abdomen. It did not go far enough to get inside, it was as if someone had poked me with a finger. Sifu then smiled and made a handmovement telling me to step aside.
                      When one door closes, another one opens.

Comment

Hi Omar,

Thank you for sharing your experience above. I have been taught that intention is very important in strikes. Where the intention is not to harm, you will feel the strike at the surface level (ie your skin). If the intention of a master was to harm, it will cause you internal injuries. Therefore when you said:

It did not go far enough to get inside, it was as if someone had poked me with a finger.
                        I believe it was the intention of Sigung not to do harm which resulted in what you experienced. If his intention were to cause harm I believe you would have had a different experience .

Kindest regards

Martin

Comment

Dear Martin Sihing, always nice to "see" you!

Having learnt from the forums resident sarcasm master, Sihing Anthony, should someone attack with bad intentions I would have just "tensed my abdominal muscles to block the internal strike and fought through the pain"

Comment

Hi Omar,

Thank you for your kind words. On a separate note, I don't think I am your Sihing (elder brother). I think you are actually my kung fu uncle because Grandmaster Wong is your Sifu and my Sigung (my teacher's teacher).

I hope you have a wonderful weekend my dear uncle. Now, being my uncle I think you might have the responsibility of getting your nephew (me) regular birthday and Christmas presents .

Kindest regards

Martin

Comment

One should always once a week move your uncles lawn and wash his car. Even if he lives in another country.

Just saying.

Comment

I'm a bit surprised by your choice of action with this master. If I had a similar experience with an "empty force master" it would reinforce how lucky I was to have had the training that I did. After his demo did nothing to me, I would leave happy, knowing that I was on a good path.

Yet you chose to remain, attempt to prove to the master that your skill was higher by showing off a bit, insult him, and then leave feeling satisfied because you were going to withhold information from him.

I'm curious why you chose this approach.

-Matt

Originally posted by jing bastard View Post
                                Now i'll tell you tell you an encounter i had with an empty force master. There was this demo of chinese martial arts in columbus ohio about 3yrs ago. At the end of the demo they had this guy doing empty force on people and anyone was a loud on stage to feel it. So i went up and so could he to do it on me. He tried it on me and nothing happened. I just looked at him like he was stupid. He asked what style i took and i said nei kung and his mouth dropped. I asked to see his hand and i sent a shock of internal power to his hand and made it move in a circle on his hand. I looked at him and said not enough so i then sent 3 blasts of internal power to his hand at once and made them move around on his hand. To end if off i started to send him small blasts of internal power to his hand faster than he could count. He was speechless and i said you are not practising a real system of energy culitvation or nei kung. He tried to ask me questions but i just walked off i feel that i have already shown him enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X