Training For Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training For Failure

If we take the phrase 'training for failure' as meaning 'training to cope with any failure', we can explore our practice in a useful way.

So how do we train for failure in Shaolin Wahnam?
    Answer: Systematically.

Of course, we train on several different levels, and in this posting I'd like to talk about how we train to cope with 'failure' at some of these levels.

At the first "lowest" level we train forms and techniques. Of course when we say lowest level we mean that this is part of the foundation of the training, and we don't mean that it is unimportant.

One failure in form or technique is if it is executed incorrectly. A high kick exposing the groin, a badly angled knee causing injury to you even as you fight. In Shaolin Wahnam we progress by building on what we have already learnt, moving on from form only when it is correct, and making sure the form stays to a high standard. We train to be skilled in the forms and techniques so that we can use them properly and effectively.

We can have confidence in our form covering for failures because it encapsulates safety first and correct chi flow, so that we are not injured by sustained practice, and we have a good chance to prevent injury in a fight.

Of course the other main failure of a technique can be if it is the wrong technique. We train to 'tame' our opponent to save from falling foul of this, but another level of training also covers us as we see next.

We also train at the level of sequences and sets. The failure of a sequence of moves comes when an opponent does something which disrupts that sequence. In our systematic training, we practice modifications to sequences and switching between sequences so that we can always be in a sequence which does include whatever move our assailant just made.

If we should 'fail' in our training, this would mean we suffer physical problems (such as the badly turned knee just mentioned). Our training covers for this with powerful chikung, which clears away blockages and propagates energy throughout our bodies to help us heal faster.

Another 'failure' in training could be in your lifestyle. Again, we could say that an injury could result in your being aggressive or listless, but that powerful chikung clears this away.

However, we could also fail in that we could spend so long training that we neglect our family and our responsibilities. Here again we are covered. The extra energy we have in our lives gives us clear headed joy with which to enjoy time with our families and to excel in our daily tasks.

So if you're wondering about training for failure, its already covered.

Personally I prefer to concentrate on training for success, but covering ourselves against failure is crucial to success.

I'd be interested to read other peoples views.

Regards,
    Chris.
    Last edited by cnholmes; 19 May 2006, 08:41 AM.

Purpose

Chris,

My view on this train of thought is this.

Failure and Success are secondary and often subjective.

I prefer to use my practice as a tool to forget failure and success, and use the energy that I would normally be using toward that train of thought to help me practice with Purpose, Intent, Affection and Abandon.

I use my practice to reshape the expectations of the world, and my expectations (or doubts) of it.

Much love,

Adam

Comment

Dear All,

One way I train for failure is by training more than one pattern, sequence etc. Therefore if one fails I am prepared to instantly adjust to another.

This same state of mind flows into daily life so that if something isn't working we can adjust accordingly and move on.

This way by training for failure we are actually training for success, and then eventually we just train to train

Best wishes

Comment

What J said - "train for failure" just means to always have in mind "what if that doesnt work, how will I recover?" - so in pushing hands someone may train in a purely defensive manner and find ways to get out of various positions without counter-attacking. Or in grappling you might start from a lock/choke position and train to get out of there.

It doesnt mean 'train on the basis that what you're attempting won't work', it's just a method for always questioning one's methods. "Invest in Loss" is another way of describing it. It's a nice snappy term that covers a lot of different ideas, I like it because it keeps people honest.

Comment

My view on training for failure is if you try and learn advanced qigong or advanced external techiniques from a book or article when you could find a qualified teacher in the type of art you trying too learn and do it correctly. Chances are if you practice advanced techniques without a teacher youll suffer chi bloackage's , internal injury or if ur lucky you could be wasting ur time instead of getting any injuries.

its better too start with the basics instead of rushing too learn the most advanced art's it will be more peaceful and you can slowly build up your ki too get ready for advanced exercises.

this is from my own expieriences
          Last edited by shao; 5 March 2011, 09:07 PM.

Comment

"Master" shao, the message seems not to be getting through....

Are you a student or are you a teacher?

All the best,
            Mike
            from the ♥

Comment

Dear Shaolin Mike you must read what i said before commenting I said My view and I said it was from my own expieriences I did not call myself a master in anyway.

Comment

Hey Shao,
                My response was not just to this post but to your attitude in general. I felt like you were writing with the tone of a teacher. Still I might have misread your intention, if so apologies
                from the ♥

Comment

Working...
                X