Differences between Mind Cultivation and Spiritual Cultivation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between Mind Cultivation and Spiritual Cultivation

Sparking off from a discussion on Aims & Objectives, where James T wondered about the differences between mind & spiritual cultivation.

To begin with,

Mind Expansion

Here, for the time being we may refer to academic pursuits for business, study or pleasure with respect to mind expansion.

Chi Kung, at a high level as practiced in Shaolin Wahnam involves meditation. Meditation at a high level is proven to increase ones attention span, memory and clarity of thought. Through regulation of the energy in our body, we can effectively improve the efficiency of our body systems and increase our energy so that we may work for longer and at a higher quality. This is possible by having more energy to supply fresh energy to our organs, including our brain, and also being able to remove used energy or waste from our organs.

You could compare mind expansion, on an intellectual level, to adding more memory and processor power to your computer, or cleaning the rust and dust from the circuits. An important point though is that our mind is far more advanced than a computer. Our mind can learn new things itself and adjust in fantastic new ways according to different random circumstances.

Spiritual Cultivation

Spiritual cultivation can mean many different things to different people. Here, for the time being, spiritual cultivation refers to development of the spirit, the soul, the essence of a human being.

Through spiritual cultivation we may experience that spirit permeates every area of life, that our actions are inter related from one moment in time to another. One may experience tranquillity and bliss and loose the importance of material wealth or gain. One may be able to forgive and let go of very unpleasant emotions or experiences. One may be able to return to God, enlightenment or what ever name you give to the ultimate.

Through spiritual cultivation we can tap into higher levels of consciousness and wisdom. Unlike computers which are limited by their design, the spirit is complete and is part of everything ever in existence.

Spiritual cultivation allows us to peel back the layers and re-discover our true, unlimited existence.

Its all relative

Good health, character development, academic study, combat efficiency, good social relationships, mind expansion and spiritual cultivation are all inter linked and effect each other.

A holistic training program realises the importance of the complete individual. That health doesn't just refer to the physical body, but that it encompasses energy, emotion, mind and spirit. Combat efficiency doesn't just mean being able to beat people to a pulp, but to realise compassion and wisdom through a effective combat system. Spiritual cultivation doesn't mean you have to aim at enlightenment right away, but that you can work on forgiveness and generosity.

What we have on offer from Shaolin Wahnam is a holistic program that allows you to enhance :

Health,
    Combat Efficiency,
    Mental Freshness,
    Spiritual Joy

Through Shaolin Kungfu, Chi Kung, Taijiquan and Zen (meditation).

To continue this discussion you may like to discuss your ideas and experiences of mind expansion and or spiritual cultivation. How you think they differ or complement each other. How your thoughts and feelings have changed from one year to another.
    Michael Durkin
    Shaolin Wahnam England - Manchester
    www.shaolinwahnam.co.uk

Thanks a lot for clarifying this matter. I think that the confusion came because spiritual experiences come when our mind expands, but it seems now that I should take "mind expansion" to mean "mind training leading to mind expansion".

Thank you again

James

Comment

This is still a little confusing for me. But the point you make that the mind and spirit are interlinked helps me not worry

When I think of the definition of mind, I always think that "heart" means mind in Chinese. And to me, my heart is literally where I feel all the good and bad emotions of life (mainly anyway). Which really makes more sense than saying the mind is in the brain. So to me, I have always looked at "mind" as being more than just thinking. However, I have noticed that when my heart feels good, my thoughts are clear. When my heart doesn't feel good, my thoughts are usually cloudy and confused. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I look at mind as also being how you feel, not just how you think.

As far as spirit goes, wouldn't your spirit encompass everything else? Like your mind and body? These are a part of your spirit. So your spirit is really the ultimate piece of who you are. Or you are a piece of the ultimate spirit So is spiritual cultivation basically anything that brings you closer to that ultimate spirit?...something inside me says there's more to it than that. I think maybe every moment can be looked at "spiritually"...no matter what other elements of ourselves are involved.

Ryan
      I'm floating down a river
      Oars freed from their holes long ago
      Lying face up on the floor of my vessel
      I marvel at the stars
      And feel my heart overflow

Comment

Working...
      X