Shaolin Wahnam Lineage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Wahnam Lineage

This is a listing of the lineage of Shaolin Wahnam tracing back to Shaolin Temple. The lineages shown here are from the two Shaolin Grandmasters in which Shaolin Wahnam is named after, Grandmaster Lai Chin Wah and Grandmaster Ho Fatt Nam.

Lineage from Grandmaster Lai Chin Wah

Southern Shaolin Temple (南少林寺)
    Venerable Chee Seen (至善禪師)
    Venerable Harng Yein (杏隱禪師)
    Chan Fook (陳福)
    Ng Yew Loong (吳耀龍)
    Lai Chin Wah (黎振華)
    Wong Kiew Kit (黃僑傑)

Lineage from Grandmaster Ho Fatt Nam

Venerable Jiang Nan (江南和尚)
    Yang Fatt Khuen (楊法坤)
    Ho Fatt Nam (何法南)
    Wong Kiew Kit (黃僑傑)

For those unable to view Chinese characters in their web browser, an image depicting the lineage can be found below.
    Last edited by YunXiang; 26 January 2006, 03:24 PM.

Lineage from Grandmaster Choe Hoong Choy

Lineage from Grandmaster Choe Hoong Choy

Ng Mui (五枚)
    Yim Wing Choon (嚴詠春)
    Leong Phok Khow (梁博儔)
    Leong Yi Tai (梁二娣)
    Yik Kam (益金)
    Choe Tak Seng (曹德勝)
    Choe Soon (曹順)
    Choe Chun (曹全)
    Choe Onn (曹安)
    Choe Hoong Choy (曹鴻才)
    Wong Kiew Kit (黃僑傑)

For those unable to view Chinese characters in their web browser, an image depicting the lineage can be found below.

Comment

Great work, Mike!!!
      Jeffrey Segal

Comment

Thank you very much Michael, beautiful work.
        Daniel Pérez
        http://www.shaolinbcn.es

Comment

Thanks from me, too, Mike Sihing.

Joko
          开心 好运气
          kai xin... .......hao yunqi... - Sifu's speech, April 2005
          open heart... good chi flow... good luck ...
          ------------------------------------------------------------
          Have we not opened up thy heart ...? (The Reading, 94:1)
          ------------------------------------------------------------
          Be joyful, ..and share your joy with others -(Anand Krishna)

Comment

"Wonderful post Sihing Michael,thanks for sharing..."
            sigpic
            "Be patient Always,May the good chi be with you"
            www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com
            http://www.grandmasterwong.com

Comment

Lineage from Grandmaster Chee Kim Thong

Lim Yit Liang (林一娘)
              Lim Yian (林賢)
              Tu Yiat Chuan (杜一川)
              Chee Kim Thong (徐金棟)
              Wong Kiew Kit (黃僑傑)

Comment

Dear Mike,

While I was in Japan, I had the opportunity to hear more about Sifu's stories and some of the past masters of various styles like Hoong Ka and Wing Chun. The more I heard of these stories, the more I came to appreciate the value of lineage and direct transmission between Sifu and student.

Thanks for all the steady work you've done here in the Chinese Terminology section, especially in helping to write out the Chinese characters and names of the Kungfu family titles, as well as the various lineages that Sifu is directly descended from.

Best,

Emiko
                Emiko Hsuen
                www.shaolinwahnam.jp
                www.shaolinwahnam.ca

INTENSIVE & SPECIAL COURSES -- PENANG 2018
                Taught by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
                4th generation successor of the Southern Shaolin Monastery
                Small and Big Universe Course: Nov 21 to 25
                Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner: Nov 26 to Dec 2
                Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy: Dec 2 to Dec 8
                Intensive Chi Kung Course: Dec 9 to Dec 13
                To apply, send email to: secretary@shaolin.org

Comment

I would like to join in and thank you for this wonderful work ! It spices up my (very basic) mandarine study with the pleasure of learning from time to time an expression/name/character related to our Shaolin Wahnam practice and history.

May I ask a question? The honorific title "Venerable" in English translates different chinese characters such as 法師 fa3 shi1, 禪師 chan2 shi1 or 和尚 he2 shang5. I tried to find information on the web but only found that they are all used as honorific titles for a monk. Are there differences between them? Such as referring to specific traditions ("fa3" vs. "chan2" shi1), status or time period? What expressions would be used when speaking off or addressing a contemporary monk/nun ? Thank you.

Andrea
                  Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                  Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

I have been feeling a greater connection to the masters in our lineage and this is a really nice thread for learning a bit about that :-)
                    "Take a moment to feel how wonderful it feels just to be alive."
                    - Sifu

Comment

Thank you for everyone's kind feedback. It is good to hear that people have benefited from this work.

Regarding Andrea's questions, I believe Sifu's December 2003 (Part 2) Q&A webpage will answer them. Please read Q&A no. 4.

Thanks again,
                      Mike

Comment

Hi folks,

My good pal Terence asked me about the lineage of Shaolin Wahnam and the relationship between the north and the southern Shaolin monasteries and was also curious about the transmittance of various skills. When I couldn't answer his questions, I went meandering through Sigung's excellent Q&A and on the forums during our weekly chat and we had a devil of a time trying to construct a "tree" of the various lineages.

I sketched a roughdraft, which is hosted on ImageShack.us:

I also attached that image to this post.

If you kind folks could please take a look at it and let me know if there are any errors? I apologize for any poor hand-writing. I used squiggly lines to represent uncertain times and potentially missing people in the lineage that I did not find last night (for example, many of the people listed in this thread, which I somehow did not find last night).

Styles and arts listed with an asterisk (such as the styles of Taijiquan, Xingyiquan, Eagle Claw, Baguazhang, Tantui, and Praying Mantis) represent styles that, while I'm not sure that Sigung possesses a lineage to them (e.g. Taijiquan), Sigung still reconstructed, restored, and taught them (or will teach them, like Xingyiquan at the next Summer Camp.

I mean no insult by any errors or mistakes, for which I take full responsibility (and another draft will be forthcoming once I have more time and information; yay school semester starting!)

Terence and I were curious about the matter (mostly when we began realizing just how many sets Sigung knows and were wondering where they all came from) and it all just kind of went from there!
                        Last edited by Frederick_Chu; 22 August 2012, 12:37 PM.
                        I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

Useful links

Hi Fred,

You have attached Jiang Nan to the burning of the Northern Shaolin Temple in the 17th Century, instead our forebear fled from the burning of the Southern Shaolin Temple around 1850.

Venerable Jiang Nan, escaped from the burning of the southern Shaolin Temple at Quanzhou City around 1850s when he was 30 plus, adopted the name "Jiang Nan" to escape notice of the Qing Army which was after him, ran out of China and initiated the Shaolin-Wahnam lineage.
                          http://www.shaolin.org/answers/ans10a/apr10-2.html

http://www.shaolin.org/general/legacy.html
                          Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
                          Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
                          Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
                          - ancient wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
                            Hi Fred,

You have attached Jiang Nan to the burning of the Northern Shaolin Temple in the 17th Century, instead our forebear fled from the burning of the Southern Shaolin Temple around 1850.

Quote:
                            Venerable Jiang Nan, escaped from the burning of the southern Shaolin Temple at Quanzhou City around 1850s when he was 30 plus, adopted the name "Jiang Nan" to escape notice of the Qing Army which was after him, ran out of China and initiated the Shaolin-Wahnam lineage.

Whoops! Thank you for the correction! I was wondering why I couldn't find Jiang Nan in listings of the Five Elders... Thank you very much!
                            I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

Also some more information on Sifu Chee Kim Thong's lineage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chee_Kim_Thong
                              Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
                              Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
                              Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
                              - ancient wisdom

Comment

Working...
                              X