No announcement yet.

The Ten Shaolin Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One day, I hope to be able to communicate with my teacher via meditation. But until then, thank god for the Internet! I just received an email from Sifu with the following information:

Sifu found the 10 Shaolin Laws in a Shaolin classic text. There were originally 12 laws, which he rewrote into 10, following the popular legend of the 10 Shaolin Laws. The original laws were written in Chinese, and were very poetic.

Many thanks to Sifu for answering this question so quickly.
    Sifu Anthony Korahais
    www.FlowingZen.com
    (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

In Sifu's book 'Introduction to Shaolin Kungfu' (written in 1976) there is a short chapter (page 6) where The Shaolin Moral Code is introduced. The Moral Code consists of three parts: Twelve Shaolin Ethics, Ten Forbidden Acts and Ten Obligations. There is also the following mention: "In the Shaolin Temple in the past, before a disciple was accepted, he had to swear a vow of obedience of the Moral Code, in front of Lord Buddha, his master(s) and seniors."

I'm not sure whether it is appropriate of me to reproduce the Moral Code here in it's entirety - I'll have to wait until someone wiser than me advices me to do so.

Our Ten Shaolin Laws shares many similarities with all these laws, although the most striking resemblance is shared with the Twelve Shaolin Ethics. Dear Sihing Anthony, perhaps these are the Twelve Laws Sifu mentioned in his e-mail? Anyway, in my opinion the Ten Shaolin Laws are the crystallization and the essence of the whole Shaolin Moral Code!

By the way, earlier we had some discussion about the law number one, 'tradition' and 'the Moral Way'. The first of the Twelve Shaolin Ethics sheds light on the issue: "Respect the master, honour the Moral Code and love the fellow disciples."

It would be highly interesting (whan an understatement!) to learn more about the history of the Moral Code and the Ten Shaolin Laws... Perhaps I have to ask Sifu in person when I have the honour of meeting him again in a few days, I believe he's in Finland already.

Comment

Thanks, brother Tapio, for revealing this.

It confirms my sense about the phrase 'Master' and 'Moral Way' in Law no.1, which I wrote in my previous post in this thread.

Joko
        开心 好运气
        kai xin... .......hao yunqi... - Sifu's speech, April 2005
        open heart... good chi flow... good luck ...
        ------------------------------------------------------------
        Have we not opened up thy heart ...? (The Reading, 94:1)
        Be joyful, ..and share your joy with others -(Anand Krishna)

Comment

Thanks for asking Sigung, Antony.

And thanks, Tapio, for the research. I've got 'Introduction...' with me out here in Japan. I'll look up that section!

I used to do another Shaolin system that also had a moral code that as far as I remember has a few things in common with our 10 laws.

Comment

Dear Brothers and Sisters,
            I find that being respectful and loving one's parents is extremely important in one's personal growth and affects a person's future relationships with other people. However I am finding it quite hard sometimes to show my parents how much I love them and respect their advice. I still disrespect them sometimes because I honestly feel that they misunderstand many things.

I would be grateful for any guidance.

Best,

Ray
            "Om"

I pay homage to all the great masters of the past and the present

Comment

I suppose it is difficult for you, growing up as an ethnic Chinese in a Western society. Yet, we Chinese in Asia have the same problems.

Even the generation above me started becoming a little disrespectful to their parents. The fact was, kids in Asia around the 1950s and 1960s started going to schools run by Western colonial masters, and learnt things very different from what their parents taught them. I mean, both my parents speak English and none of my grandparents can, so it seemed that my parents were smarter than theirs.

And as Western civilisation brought about the many miracles and creature comforts that even the older Asians could not do without, the elderly lost a little of their traditional authority. They were not in line with Western science as their children were and become (to use a now touchy word in Malaysia) "marginalised". Many of the things that were passed down from my grandparents' time became "old-fashioned and superstitious" in the light of modern science (Of course, now I realise that many though not all of the so-called old wives' tale have much truth in them).

It is therefore not surprising that you argue with your parents. I do myself. As one grows older, for some strange reason, one's parents begin deferring to one's opinions more and more. True, often they refuse to accept that the one they brought up will know better than them, but all the same, they allow themselves to be led by the children. Maybe growing older makes a person less ready to argue too far.

There are many bad parents who, in my view, never deserved their children, such as those who peddle their kids for prostitution or abuse them, or plain neglect them for selfish reasons. But if the parents have made sacrifices like most parents do, then as children, the least we can do is to repay those sacrifices even if we disagree with their views. It is perfectly possible to love and respect someone you argue vehemently with.
              百德以孝为先
              Persevere in correct practice

Comment

Dear Zhang Wuji,
                Thank you for your post. I have always held your opinion in high esteem so I am grateful for your advice. I find this a very common dilemna because my parents and I have grown up in radically different backgrounds it is very difficult to communicate. Worse, if one parent disrespects another parent already then it becomes habitual to disrespect that parent and not take him / her seriously.
                I don't argue with my parents anymore, instead I try to listen to them patiently but sometimes the wrong words come out and one's insecurities are struck so we end up fighting instead of arguing.
                I want to be a good son but I feel confused on how to make my parents happy. I have learned to call them more often and try to visit them but sometimes I get the feeling my efforts are not really paying off.
                Actually my ultimate dream is to get my mother into Chi kung because I feel that it will help her with all her health issues. My mother would be alot more happy and at peace if she was healthy. I also want to get my father back into Kung Fu. I am scheming to somehow drag him into an Intensive Shaolin Course with me. My father learned Wudang kungfu when he was younger and I feel that he has so much potential. Besides, father and son practicing kungfu together is very exciting to me.
                How do I be kind to my parents and bring them happiness?
                How can I achieve my dream of making them practice what I practice to improve their lives?

Thank you for suffering the long post.

Best,

Ray
                Last edited by Ray; 12 October 2006, 03:36 PM.
                "Om"

Comment

Dear Ray,

Originally posted by divineshadow View Post
                  How do I be kind to my parents and bring them happiness?
                  How can I achieve my dream of making them practice what I practice to improve their lives?
                  Your wish is heartwarming, noble and inspiring.

In Shaolin, we always ascribe to the principle of "simple, direct and effective". Another way to put it is like this: simple + direct = effective.

In practical terms, what does this mean?

Live life as simply and directly as you can.

Rather than try to change our parents, it is simplest to accept them the way that they are.
                  Rather than try to guide our parents, it is most direct to guide ourselves first.
                  By effecting simple, direct changes in yourself, your parents will naturally experience the new you.
                  Consciousness is always drawn to consciousness.
                  The consciousness in them will be drawn to the consciousness in you. In this way, the disharmony will naturally subside in your surroundings.

Whenever we practice "Presence" (i.e. not trying to change other people, not judging other people, not evaluating other people, but rather focusing completely in the present), it is impossible for others to continue fighting around us.

May I offer a small suggestion?
                  The next time there is an argument in your surroundings, you can go straight to your dantian and focus your whole being in staying there. Then you can watch what happens. It is very exciting. You will be able to change the atmosphere of the room just by being present in the dantian.

How can you go to your dantian? It's very simple. Just go there. Don't worry about where it is. Just having the thought, "go to the dantian", is good enough.

When there is conflict, stay simple, go directly to the dantian and enjoy its effect.

Warmest wishes,

Emiko
                  Emiko Hsuen
                  www.shaolinwahnam.jp
                  www.shaolinwahnam.ca

INTENSIVE & SPECIAL COURSES -- PENANG 2018
                  Taught by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
                  4th generation successor of the Southern Shaolin Monastery
                  Small and Big Universe Course: Nov 21 to 25
                  Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner: Nov 26 to Dec 2
                  Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy: Dec 2 to Dec 8
                  Intensive Chi Kung Course: Dec 9 to Dec 13
                  To apply, send email to: secretary@shaolin.org

Comment

Hello Ray,

I can relate to what you say about arguing with one's(correct use of an apostrophe?) parents. My dad (whom I love very much) had a rather tough childhood. He believes in the 'my way or the highway' attitude. He never used to listen to me and we used to up until about a year ago argue quite strongly.

Since my parents moved to Toronto I learned to appreciate my Dad as he as done more than I can ever repay him and the fact I only see him 2-3 times a year. I am finally following my mum's good advice and to just relax my mind when my dad get's angry(which is often ) and too smile. When I do this he eventually calms down and smiles too.

If I remember something I read in one of Sifu's books(I think it is either the Book Of Zen or Sukhvati: The Western Paradise as taught by MahaRaj Buddha Ji).

The jist is something along the lines: The Buddha was travelling with one of his disciples and came across a pile of human bones, upon seeing this he prostrated before the remains. The disciple who accompanied Buddha Ji enquired why did the Buddha (who taught the god's as well as humans) need to do such a thing.

Buddha Ji said that as he had lived countless lives(via rebirth) it was likely that the remains were that of his ancestors and so he should show respect.

He also said that even if one where to cut off your own flesh to feed one's parents in a time of famine you cannot repay your parents kindness and sacrifice.

God bless Sham.

Comment

Dear Brother and Sisters,
                      Your posts have been extremely useful and I am grateful for all of you taking the time to offer me such good advice. I've always had a problem with my mother's nagging since she often is very emotional and gets nervous and agitated over the smallest things. She also has a strong urge to cling to others and demand attention which can be draining.
                      My plan is to try to smile from the heart whenever my mother starts getting so agitated and worried. I'm getting a lot better at smiling from the heart now so I'll concentrate on doing this more often when I am around them.

I'll let everyone know how things turn out.

Love and blessings,

Ray
                      "Om"

Comment

Dear Brothers and Sisters,
                        Brought gifts and watched a movie with family: Good.
                        Argued with Dad over political views and the definition of "freedom": Bad.

Maybe I'm a little too sensitive about this but I swear I seem to disagree with almost everything that my Dad believes in.

I haven't the foggiest idea how to get along if we seem to disagree on almost everything.

*frustrated sigh

Love and blessings,

Ray
                        "Om"

Comment

Dear Ray,

It is good to hear of your recent session with your family.

If we take as our premise that the first tenet of Shaolin training is to be a good student, we can assume that there is something to be learnt from any given experience. It is a skill to be able to pick out what gift the Universe is offering us. The gift is never one that places the focus on the other person. The gift is always directly related to our personal development.

So what can be learnt from this experience? Let's take a look at a few of the laws.

2. Required to train the Shaolin arts diligently, and as a pre-requisite, to be physically and mentally healthy.
                          Here we can ask ourselves, was it "mentally healthy" to argue with Father over differing opinions? Perhaps not. Okay, well then, rather than engage in self-judgment, the next step is to simply say, "Ah. That was not very effective. Does whether my father accepts my opinions affect my love for him? No. Well, then, maybe it's not so important to convince my father with words. Maybe all I need to do is demonstrate my love for him. Next time, I'll simply show my love through action, rather than words."

3. Required to be filial to parents, be respectful to the elderly, and protective of the young.
                          It is possible to be a good son without having to agree with everything your father says. Also, let us be very careful not to fall into proselytising or converting other people to our way of being. This, in and of itself, is against Shaolin principle. Remember, we are supposed to lead by example. This is because Shaolin is based on the merits of practical experience, not pretty words (or flowery fists and embroidery kicks). So, rather than using flowery fists or embroidery kicks with your father, it is far better to show him you are a good son by your practical actions. Then he will directly experience the benefits of Shaolin through you.

4. Required to uphold righteousness, and to be both wise and courageous.
                          To lead by example requires ultimate courage because it means that we must truly change. There is nothing more scary to the ego than to change. It means that our sense of who we are must undergo a transformation. If you let go of your attachment to proving your father wrong, then you begin your transformation. When your father waits for you to argue the next time, he will be surprised when you simply smile and say, "Is that so?" or "I see."

Knowing to keep silent and when to speak, now this takes wisdom. What kind of wisdom? Wisdom to know the difference between when someone is asking you for your opinion, and when you are trying to impose your opinion on someone. If your father really asks you what you think, then it would be wise of you to speak at that time.

As you focus on your own transformation, your father will naturally come to experience the righteousness that shines through you.

5. Forbidden to be ungrateful and unscrupulous, ignoring the Laws of man and heaven.
                          Every time your father or mother acts in a way that causes resistance in you, simply focus on something that you can be grateful for. Prepare a memory that you can call upon at any time, so that you can focus on it while your father/mother is acting out his/her blockages. Don't focus on their blockages because doing so will only bring out yours.

For example, perhaps you have a memory when your father protected you as a child. See if you can recall this memory and then keep it on standby for when you both start to disagree on something. As soon as you start to sense resistance in you to what your father is saying, simply recall that memory and focus on that until the energy of resistance (anger, fear, frustration, sadness etc.) passes.

Try it. It works.

6. Forbidden to rape, molest, do evil, steal, rob, abduct or cheat.
                          Consider this:

Every time we succeed in proving our parents wrong, and ourselves right, we have stolen away their dignity.

Every time we impose our beliefs and opinions on another person, we are essentially engaging in mental molestation.

(Please note that this is different from when someone asks for our opinions. For example, any person who comes to this forum (e.g. Kaitain, Kevin, Baguamonk1) is asking for our opinion by the virtue of the fact that they have entered our site.)

8. Forbidden to abuse power, be it official or physical; forbidden to oppress the good and bully the kind.
                          Often we forget that our parents are aging, and that we are the ones who are gaining in power. Let us not abuse the power we are growing into. We can afford to be generous to the people who have been our "portals" to this life.

9. Obliged to be humane, compassionate and spread love, and to realize everlasting peace and happiness for all people.
                          How we treat our family is a good indication of where we are really at in terms of our personal development. If we are able to be kind to everyone, but find ourselves being judgmental towards our immediate family, then it means that there are still many things we have to work on.

For this, we can be grateful to our parents. They always show us what areas we still have to mature in.

10. Obliged to be chivalrous and generous, to nurture talents and pass on the Shaolin arts to deserving disciples.
                          The first step is for us to focus 100% of our energies on being the best people that we can be.
                          In this way, we can lead by example.
                          Others will come and ask us questions as they experience the benefits of spending time with us.

Okay, my friend, that's enough words from me for now.

Best wishes,

Emiko
                          Last edited by Emiko H; 14 October 2006, 08:06 PM.
                          Emiko Hsuen
                          www.shaolinwahnam.jp
                          www.shaolinwahnam.ca

Comment

Dear Sifu Emiko,
                            Thank you for taking the time to write such a profound post. My father later apologized for our heated argument because during the heat of the moment he verbally attacked me which really upset me. After reading your post I feel a bit ashamed for arguing with my father. I caused some blockages after our argument due to anger and I'll go practice Lifting the Sky to remedy the situation. I am still confused though.
                            During the argument, He was saying that a soldier must follow orders even if it meant doing inhumane actions. It just felt so morally wrong to me.
                            Thank you your incredible patience with my ignorance.

Love and blessings,

Ray
                            "Om"

Comment

Dear Ray,

Originally posted by divineshadow View Post
                              During the argument, He was saying that a soldier must follow orders even if it meant doing inhumane actions. It just felt so morally wrong to me.
                              You are perfectly entitled to feel how you feel, Ray. Your father is also entitled to say whatever he wants to say.

But trying to convince your father that what he is saying is "morally wrong" is the same as telling him to "follow orders" from you, even if he doesn't understand what you're saying. If you argue with him, it will seem that you are saying that "he" is "inhumane". In this way, he will not be able to hear the wisdom of your words at all.

High-level kungfu/chi kung is shown through action. Take action by not paying attention to what your father says. Rather, pay attention to your ability to "smile from the heart".

When he wonders why you haven't responded in anger, you can just say to him, "Father, I really don't understand what you're saying or why you're saying it. It makes no sense to me. Nevertheless, I don't want to argue with you because you are my father, and I respect you. Can you tell me a bit more about yoga instead, please?"

...or something like that... (I believe you mentioned that he does yoga.) In this way, you don't feed his anger, and you don't feed your own blockages.

Over time, he will stop using the same tactic to make you angry because it doesn't work. Then, you will have essentially confirmed victory the Shaolin way.

I hope this clarifies things better.

Warmest wishes,

Emiko
                              Emiko Hsuen
                              www.shaolinwahnam.jp
                              www.shaolinwahnam.ca

Comment

Dear Ray,

Please convey my respect to your father; he is a wise man. He had conquered his ego when apologizing to you, his son. Did you apologize to him as well?

Emiko-san Sijie,
                                Your posts are very inspiring, particularly about the relationship with our parents.
                                I will always remember your point about forbidden to abuse power. Now my beloved mother, who is 79, is living with my family in our house; my father passed away in September last year.

I'll keep staying in my Dan Tian.

Joko
                                开心 好运气
                                kai xin... .......hao yunqi... - Sifu's speech, April 2005
                                open heart... good chi flow... good luck ...
                                Have we not opened up thy heart ...? (The Reading, 94:1)
                                Be joyful, ..and share your joy with others -(Anand Krishna)

Comment

Working...
                                X