X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoid all evil
    Do good
    Purify the mind

The Ten Shaolin Laws can be summed up thus. They are timeless principles that can be bring happiness and joy to all who practise them
    http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Great to see discussion on the Ten Shaolin Laws; especially with people giving such insightful posts. Keep it up!

In my opinion the Ten Shaolin Laws are there to help lay the best possible groundwork for developement as a person, as a Shaolin practicioner, and as a spiritual being. Some time ago there was some discussion on the seventh Shaolin law that really expanded my understanding on the Laws. So I'd like to repeat my earlier reply here with some additions:

In my understanding the seventh Shaolin law, as all of them, aims for spiritual cultivation. It's purpose is to lay the foundation for the practicioner for ideal emotional and spiritual growth, to help one reach his/her potential, than to set limitations. The seventh law helps one to find the ideal surroundings, the ideal people to inspire and to encourage fulfilling his/her aims. This is what the Shaolin Wahnam family, for instance, does so wonderfully.

One example would be planting a tree. Once you set it to a spot with good soil, right amount of light and sufficent moisture, the sapling will surely grow up to be a beautiful, blossoming tree. Another spot with less than optimal circumstances will not be as favorable to growth, and the tree will suffer.

Earlier I was concerned that following this law might mean willingly separating oneself from certain people that may bring harm to others or themselves, even friends or family. Now I see it differently, I see it as an encouragement for one to find the best possible place for spiritual growth. And in no way does it rule out compassion, or charitable actions towards those who may have lost their way.

So I agree with what LeeWeiJoo said - practicing these laws will bring benefits to all who practice them. Why? Because they're not based on "truths" that are relative to situations, persons practicing them, to different cultural frameworks, but because they ultimately draw strenght from cosmic wisdom. Just as with the tenet mentioned before - "Avoid all evil, Do good, Purify the mind" - these laws are not goals in themselves, but they're there to help a practicioner towards personal fulfillment, cosmic awareness, and eventually towards enlightenment.

Through understanding this it is perhaps easier to understand for example the fifth and the seventh law, which introduce concepts such as "Laws of man and heaven" and "everlasting peace and happiness for all people". But even for those not concerned with cosmic awareness or enlightenment, practicing these laws will be very beneficial. Why? Because of the cosmic truth that goodness begets goodness, evil begets evil. Examining the Ten Shaolin Laws objectively one will understand that they promote wisdom, courage, compassion, love and generosity, or in a single word, goodness. By practicing these Laws, one effectively helps to bring goodness into the world, through himself, and through his actions towards other beings.

In this way it's really not so important what developmental stage the practicioner is on, as long as he practices these laws to the best of his ability. To me, the Ten Shaolin Laws are like a long road - through travelling it one understands more and more about where he's coming from, where he's going to and what is around him. However, what is important is not how far he is in the course of his travels, but that he has taken the path.

Light and love to you all.
      Markus Kahila
      Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

As asked here are the virtues that my Sifu asks all students to develop and uphold.

Honesty: To myself and others at all times.

Humility: In thoughts words and deeds.

Patience: I serve others according to their needs.

Sincerity: Is the foundation of my every action.
        "He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce" Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Comment

Icebergs

Just a short post to bring this one back up into peoples memories

Yes, it is a bit cheeky since I haven't even posted yet - shocking

Comment

Thanks Sifu Darryl for bringing this thread back up to the top. My Master always says that the first priority of Yaolin Qigong is that you are first healthy (both your physical body, and have happy, healthy spirit). Then he says when you can do that, and feel satisfied, the second aim of Yaolin Qigong is to always help other people. He says you should always help other people, your family, your friends, and even complete strangers.
            "The nine energies are necessary for immortality, but they are not something for any person to be allowed to come in contact with or hear about. The populus common, in their unending worry, their concern is only with riches and honors. They may well be called walking corpses." - Ge Hong

Comment

Some recent experiences

Dear Family,

It has actually been some time since I have reread our Ten Shaolin Laws.
              I will write them down in my notebook immediately after posting so that I can reread them often--it makes me feel so good to read them; its so wonderful to have guidelines by which to govern ones life.

One Law that I have been reflecting on a great deal recently is "forbidden to be ungrateful"

I like to read this as "required to be grateful".

I recently had a great deal of difficulty and actually fell ill as a result of ingratitude: I just couldn't see how lucky I was, and how much I had to be grateful for.

Now I have recovered from my illness (for which I am very grateful ) and I feel tremendous gratitude for even the smallest things, and, surprisingly, even for those things that I was previously complaining about.

So, for me, "forbidden to be ungrateful" is an injunction with unimaginable depth, for it is not saying only "forbidden to be ungrateful for all of the good things that you have", but also "forbidden to be ungrateful for your sore back, the hole in your shoe or the angry barking dog next door". In a world of suffering, it is sometimes a tall order to be grateful for everything, but it is my aspiration.
              Charles David Chalmers
              Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Originally posted by cha muir
                it is sometimes a tall order to be grateful for everything, but it is my aspiration
                One of my students met a monk who has no teeth, yet is always smiling.

When asked for his story, the Tibetan monk told him that he had been imprisoned in China. His guards would beat him and torture him, yet he was always happy. He smiled so much that his guards smashed his teeth out with a hammer, yet he kept smiling. When they eventually asked hm why he was still smiling, he replied that he had been living in a cave for many years, that he was thankful for this cell and that he forgave them for their actions.

It is a truly joyful thing to be alive. If you knew your life was about to end, yet were miraculously given one extra second, imagine how beautiful the world would be. Then consider living in that moment. Then realise that you are living in that moment. Then be greatful for every second that you have, every moment that you spend and every interaction that exists.

Incidently, I don't see it as being such a tall order for you . Good luck with your practice

Comment

Recently I had an amazing understanding and experience.

Be grateful not only to those who help you, but also be grateful to those whom you help.
                  Do not hesitate to say thank you often, even to someone whom you just give your help!

The reason? They have given you the opportunity to do something good.

The reward? Happiness. True happiness comes when you help others.

Joko
                  开心 好运气
                  kai xin... .......hao yunqi... - Sifu's speech, April 2005
                  open heart... good chi flow... good luck ...
                  ------------------------------------------------------------
                  Have we not opened up thy heart ...? (The Reading, 94:1)
                  ------------------------------------------------------------
                  Be joyful, ..and share your joy with others -(Anand Krishna)

Comment

Originally posted by Darryl
                    Incidently, I don't see it as being such a tall order for you . Good luck with your practice

Indeed! I stand corrected.

Thank you.

Also, thank you to Joko for your wise reminder.

There is a zen saying: "The giver should be grateful"

and Jesus said "The blesser is the blessed"

May all beings be happy.
                    Last edited by Charles David; 18 November 2005, 10:52 PM.
                    Charles David Chalmers
                    Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Light for the Path

Thank you Sifu Emiko for this thread.

When I first read the Shaolin 10 Laws in March last year prior to applying for the Intensive Chi Kung course with Sifu in Malaysia, I felt - 'oh, how wonderfully formulated, of course they must be followed, they are so true!'

Once I returned from Malaysia my life started to twist and turn, partly due to the revelations and consequent cleansing I began to experience with regular practice and partly due to domestic circumstances at that time.

In my experience, the ten Shaolin Laws went from being obvious truths to be followed almost unconsciously, to strict rules that kept me within my moral and spiritual boundaries - to, finally, much-needed guidelines in moments of confusion and despair. Whatever the outer situation, my Chi Kung practice and - the verbal attestation in the Ten Laws - of the truth and real knowledge I perceived in the Chi Kung State Of Mind (unfortunately the CKSOM as we call it keeps slipping away... and it is only now with continued practice that I can even attempt to remain or go into it at will - am I talking a lot of nonsense here? Please correct me if I do.)

So I would reread them ever so often to remind me to keep to the experince of reality I felt in the CKSOM, instead of slipping away in the maelstorm of my thoughts and carefully drawn - but totally inapt - conclusions based on things concluded by a jittery mind in lesser moments of peace.

So I just wanted to say that it is evident to me that Sifu guides me through these laws, providing a lamp for the Path in moments of (glad to say temporary) darkness. Simple, direct - and effective.

Priya
                      Last edited by priya; 21 March 2006, 10:45 AM.

Comment

When I first encountered the 10 shaolin laws I was immediately impressed. I felt that many of the laws expressed the way I was trying to live at the time of reading and how I aspired to be.

Now, only a short time after, the laws mean much more to me. And reading them again I am instantly inspired.

For me the 10 laws act as a source of inspiration that resounds beautifully not only through my practice but also in my daily life.
                        They are not only principles to live by but also I feel there are lessons within them and by striving to follow these principles I feel I can learn and grow.

As with everything I have learnt in Shaolin Wahnam, the more I practice the more is revealed, and I look forward to realising deeper meanings within these laws as I progress.

thanks to everyone who's posted, theres been some amazing words,advice and reminders, what a good thread.

Comment

My Two Cents

Required to train the Shaolin arts diligently, and as a pre-requisite, to be physically and mentally healthy.

Forbidden to associate with wicked people; forbidden to do any sorts of wickedness.

These are laws two and seven.

It was wierd I read the laws out of hand before finding this thread.

To me these two are the hardest laws to live.

I think, taking from what my brothers and sisters were posting that the key to mastering them have to do with, appreciation, and relaxation.

To me one of the most profound things about Chi Kung and Kung-Fu is relaxation. When you are relaxed the most daunting tasks become easy and work becomes play.

The rewards of dilligence are pleasant stroll, rather than gruelling journey.

I personally think that enlightenment could be a supreme state of relaxation, where the efforts to be selfish to survive simply fall from your bieng melt away.

How wonderful that we have Chi-Kung and Yoga and other relaxing things, that take your mind off being hungry and tired and give you something constructive to do.

Please remember that when I say relaxation I don't mean laziness, because I believe that lazyiness is increadably wicked.

Laziness, watching the world go by with your thumb in your arse is the fastest way to hell!!!!

On the other hand, I'm constantly frustrated and struggling with my own laziness and the laziness of my freinds whom I love.

Even in the deepest hell, I believe if you can find something constructive and relaxing then you are on your way out.

I think through relaxation you can love wicked people unconditionally and let thier wickedness flow off you and nurture and appreciate everybiengs spark of infinate and amazing universe.

I can understand the laws on an intellectual plane, but obviously the dillegent practising of the art of relaxation is the path to live the laws.

To most people though laziness is easier, than dilligence.

People doubt themselves and get lazier and the evil keeps spreading. Before I started training I myself was floating around that loop.

I see it so much and I'm sad.

But then I realise that later I can go hold up the moon, relaxed and smiling.

Doing something constructive and relaxing.

What cool and free joy. I'm always happy to hear your stories sharing it

Thanks for a great thread.

A luta continua!
                          The struggle continues!

The struggle for relaxation that is
                          Africa is the heart of the planet.

Comment

too bright of light blinds the eye.

Comment

Another from me uki --- sorry. If your post is relevant to the discussion at hand, I'm afraid you lost me.

Andrew
                              Sifu Andrew Barnett
                              Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
                              Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
                              Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Originally posted by WahnamCH
                                Another from me uki --- sorry. If your post is relevant to the discussion at hand, I'm afraid you lost me.

Andrew
                                it has been said to be neither overly righteous, nor overly wicked. by being overly wicked one destroys their livelihoods, by being overly righteous one only blinds themselves from their imperfectness.

Comment

Working...
                                X