Was Osho Mental?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Osho Mental?

I've read a few osho books and his meditation techniques seem really great and novel, his voice sounds blissful and full of presence, and he revolutionaised zen meditation techniques. But people say as he got to the end of his life he went crazy,
    Is it true he recomennded ecstacy and that he stacked up on gold limos in his old age, because he thought it was 'irrelevant' ?
    My teacher said he was one of the peole he was most honoured to work with, but in the next breath he said... 'he went totally crazy though, lost the plot' in a downhearted kind of tone, like it was a shame or a loss, or something.

What does this mean?.
    I'm really struggling.
    does it mean that osho went mad, or that he thought he was teaching people something about creating their own morals?
    I don't understand but there must be a bit of specualtion already on the subject of osho's madness?

It's just that my teachers response was so weird. It might just be that he allways speaks a certain way that doesn't allow me to fix an idea or conception about something.
    I think if thats what it is, I can accpet that becasue its like having a friend that you really love who goes mad and does something you personally don't endorse......agrrh i don't know iguess if you love someone you don't have an opinion on anything they do.
    #

an yway...was he bonkers? what are the theories on him? i find it very interesting.

Osho

Hi Selva, here is a good article about the topic: http://home.att.net/~meditation/Osho.html

He wasn't totally honest person at the end, abused valium and sexually harassed some female students, but I still like some of his books, like the big commentary on Vigyan Bhairav Tantra. Reading Osho needs using commonsense to discriminate what is useful and what is not. He has got pretty weird ideas, like how women have so different kind of energetic bodies that they simply cannot feel kundalini although they say they can feel it if they try -- woman just imagine it... they have good imagination
    Best wishes,
    Panu

Arriving at one goal is the starting point to another. (John Dewey)

Comment

lol!

thanks! for the link, i'll check it out. dunno aboutthe strange ideas!! what a wierdo!

Comment

hi! thanks for that link where did you get it from?, the writer seems to talk alot of sense! cheers, selva

Comment

Judgement

Hi Selva,

From the evidence presented in the link Panu has given us, I conclude that Osho was most definitely insane, lacking even the most basic requirements for higher acheivements:good health. Even thinking about him seems to have upset you . Clearly his is a case of abuse of power.
          Charles David Chalmers
          Brunei Darussalam

Comment

yeah. blimmin life!
            I liked him calling the guy, two seperate men, like day and night.
            and that he was either marvellous or disastrous. he obviously didn't go in for the middle way...more an extreme headonist junkie glorified on serenity
            it's so ****ing sadd!! it makes me reeaaaaaaallly jealous that he could have so much [cosmic awareness, not the gold cars] and endorse such pathetic ***t

if my mother ever calls me a waster again i'll say, yeah?? read this..
            Last edited by chiron; 16 February 2005, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Hello

Originally posted by selva
              hi! thanks for that link where did you get it from?, the writer seems to talk alot of sense! cheers, selva
              You're welcome I think I found the link accidentally by Google when searching info about Osho and meditation.
              Best wishes,
              Panu

Comment

Ovidius has a mainframe of 3000 computers joined together that scour the internet for interesting links that he then flippantly pastes on the boards as if he stumbled upon them by accident.
                from the ♥

Comment

Interesting article!

Does anyone else see similarities between Osho's dynamic meditation and chi flow? (Ignoring the hyperventalation and the woo wooing, of course!)

Comment

Does anyone else see similarities between Osho's dynamic meditation and chi flow?
                    Very good point. Yes, I think this was recognized on some earlier thread too where we had some conversation about him... cannot remember which one. But where did he got the idea from this meditation, I don't think he just invented it. This kind of "just letting go" excercises were probably done also in India and not just in China. I remember that Osho writes about Gurdjieff how he used dancing to get people into meditative state. He also adores Sufis.
                    Last edited by Ovidius; 14 March 2005, 03:16 PM.
                    Best wishes,
                    Panu

Comment

Originally posted by Ovidius
                      he used dancing to get people into meditative state.
                      At the yoga centre that I attend this is very common. A dance called Kiirtan is done while singing a mantra and then directly after everyone meditates. The yogis have also told of stories of past spiritual masters who would do this Kiirtan dance with many people around and some of them would report after that they had a deep spiritual experience, they felt like they left this earth!
                      (edit: much like Marcus seemed to be feeling after sinew metamorphosis in nottingham last year )
                      Last edited by shaolin_mike; 15 March 2005, 09:29 PM.
                      from the ♥

Comment

sufis........how do i get one? where do they live??

Comment

sufis........how do i get one?
                          Stream the JTV live broadcast from your computer or mobile device.

This place used to sell also good quality practice Katanas.
                          Best wishes,
                          Panu

Comment

hey!

oh wow. thank you ovidius!!!!

Comment

Shaolin Mike, Kirtaan sounds interesting. What kind of yogis? (The word Kirtaan doesn't sound like sanskrit to me, but I'm no expert!)

I think dances are fasinating. In Joseph Cambell's book on primitive mythology I remember reading chimpanzees sometimes do a kind of spinning dance which were then compared to some kinds of tribal dances (in good taste, primitive just means first). I was reminded by the mention of sufis (some of which used to called 'whirling dervishes' by the British).

Another thing, that sometimes occurs to me is the link between dances and martial arts. Capoeira is the best example, but also think break dancing. I've also wondered about Cosack dancing (think of the leg strength!) Scottish Sword dancing and even English Morris dancing (it takes a bit of imagination but maybe there's some kind of stick fighting in there?)
                              Does anyone have any information? Or other examples?

Comment

Working...
                              X