No announcement yet.

disturbed sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing that you might want to try is head to toe relaxation.

I know it's in one of Sifus books (can't remember which one) although he explains it from a standing position. He actually says not to fall asleep, but that's most likely because you'll fall over if you do.

I was taught that it's OK to do in bed and can really do wonders. My personal experience confirms this. It feels really cool once you get good at it.

Curtis

Comment

What a coincidence, Curtis. I just typed it out here.
      Sifu Anthony Korahais
      www.FlowingZen.com
      (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

A coincidence indeed!

Your post is much better than mine though!

Curtis

Comment

Everyone, thanks for the suggestions, somethings gotta work! Lifting the Sky got me straight back to sleep the other night when I awoke... no such luck last night.

I like the idea of practising water element kungfu patterns to "combat" the problem. I'm not aware of the Tai Chi patterns mentioned by Sifu Stier. Are there any equivalent Shaolin patterms taught in the wahnam school?

regards,
          Jordan M.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan_LM
            I like the idea of practising water element
            Doesn't also simple walking stimulate the kidneys? So I have heard at least. Also doing a belly massage could help in relaxing before sleep.
            Best wishes,
            Panu

Arriving at one goal is the starting point to another. (John Dewey)

Comment

I like the idea of practising water element kungfu patterns to "combat" the problem. I'm not aware of the Tai Chi patterns mentioned by Sifu Stier. Are there any equivalent Shaolin patterms taught in the wahnam school?
              No. In Shaolin Wahnam, we do not apply Wu Xing (Five Element) theory to our Kungfu.

Furthermore, we cannot know that you have a Water imbalance unless we do a traditional diagnosis. That is the beauty of Self Induce Chi Flow (Zi Fa Dong Gong). You don't need a diagnosis. If you have a Water imbalance, chi flow will eventually correct it. If you have a Fire imbalance, chi flow will eventually correct it. If you have Liver Qi stagnation, chi flow will eventually correct it. All of your imbalances, blockages, and deficiencies will be gradually fixed according to their severity.

Jordan, you've been doing chi flow for about 3 months, correct? My advice would be to give it another 3 months, and see what happens.
              Sifu Anthony Korahais
              www.FlowingZen.com
              (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Originally posted by Antonius
                Jordan, you've been doing chi flow for about 3 months, correct? My advice would be to give it another 3 months, and see what happens.
                Correct.
                Ok, i will. Quite alot has been happening already actually, so i've no doubt that there are more benefits to come.

thanks,
                Jordan.

Comment

Dear Jordan,

Anthony Sihing's advice is really great.

In my own very humble opinion, I don't think it matters very much what you try to do to fall asleep, as long as you have this blockage somewhere, you will probably have those troublesome nights. Doing Self manifested chi flow will clear it. Until then, maybe it would save a lot of anxiety if you could accept that you might have bad nights for the next trhree months.

Best wishes,

Roeland
                  www.shaolinwahnam.nl
                  www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

And in another direction -

If your body doesn't need sleep, then don't sleep. If you find yourself waking up early, or lying in bed unable to go to sleep, my suggestion would be to get up and go do something else.

A few years ago, I started sleeping less and less as my practice progressed. The most obvious one to me was one evening, after practicing Dan Tian Breathing at around 11pm, I lay in bed awake until 4-5am. Instead of getting aggrivated, I lay there enjoying the gentle flow and when I did drift off, I woke up at the usual time (7-7:30) without any ill effects the next day. This seemed to continue over time, gradually cutting down my sleeping time more and more and more. Nowadays, I usually sleep about 4-6 hours per night but some nights I hardly sleep at all - the most amusing was when I was going through a minutes phase, literally sleeping for maybe 20 minutes before waking up again feeling fully refreshed.

When I would get up, I'd find some things seemed better to do than others. Watching TV was not good, wandering around the house switching on lots of lights was not good but writing, reading, thinking and planning (plotting ) were far more usefull and enjoyable ways to spend the extra hours of being awake. Once your friends realise that you are likely to be up, you may start getting nocturnal callers both in person and on the phone.

In summary, my suggestion is - enjoy it, don't resent it.

Comment

Words of Wisdom!

Darryl:

Nice post! This is sage advice you have given.....go with the flow...and listen to the body...give it what it needs...when it needs it!
                      http://www.shenmentao.com/forum/

Comment

Some good Ole' Chamomile Tea always kicks me into bed when ever its that time at night.

Comment

And in another direction -

If your body doesn't need sleep, then don't sleep. If you find yourself waking up early, or lying in bed unable to go to sleep, my suggestion would be to get up and go do something else.

A few years ago, I started sleeping less and less as my practice progressed. The most obvious one to me was one evening, after practicing Dan Tian Breathing at around 11pm, I lay in bed awake until 4-5am. Instead of getting aggrivated, I lay there enjoying the gentle flow and when I did drift off, I woke up at the usual time (7-7:30) without any ill effects the next day. This seemed to continue over time, gradually cutting down my sleeping time more and more and more. Nowadays, I usually sleep about 4-6 hours per night but some nights I hardly sleep at all - the most amusing was when I was going through a minutes phase, literally sleeping for maybe 20 minutes before waking up again feeling fully refreshed.

When I would get up, I'd find some things seemed better to do than others. Watching TV was not good, wandering around the house switching on lots of lights was not good but writing, reading, thinking and planning (plotting ) were far more usefull and enjoyable ways to spend the extra hours of being awake. Once your friends realise that you are likely to be up, you may start getting nocturnal callers both in person and on the phone.

In summary, my suggestion is - enjoy it, don't resent it.
                          I am grateful to have found this, thanks Sifu Darryl.

This happened to me as I posted in another thread about my recent Chi Kung experiences. I just lay there in bed until 4:30 AM or so and fell asleep, fully feeling chi circulating around my body, and woke up at 5:30 AM to do my normal daily Chi Kung routine. I managed to get through the day fine, although my mind felt slightly cloudy and dizzy.

Comment

I find Sifu Kai´s response about the TCM View on sleep deficiency very helpful:

Keep smiling
                            Anton
                            Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
                            Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
                            http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
                            http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
                            http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

sleeplessness

Sleeplessness is caused by many factors and the solution varies:
                              1. Take valerian root;
                              2. My wife couldn't sleep and liked eating at night. I suspected that malnutrition was a problem. After giving fermentation of vegetables and fruits, she slept well;
                              3. After returning from Europe, circadian rhytm is disturbed, a dose of melatonin helps;
                              4. I became aware that I sleep later and later in the morning till 3 am. I think it is too much tonic in my diet. I reduce tonic herbs and increase my physical exercise intensity. I return to sleeping 6-7 hours a day again.
                              5. A friend has difficulty sleeping and I think it is because of ennervation or nerve exhaustion. A few times of colon hydrotheraphy solved that sleeplessness.
                              6. Tian Wang Bu Xin Dan pills has helped a few friends / colleagues who suffer from insomnia. The chief ingredient is shu di huang or rhemmania which is a herb that tonifies blood.

Best regards,
                              Alphonsus

Comment

sleeplessness part 2

1. Practicing zhan zhuang at night or moving Qigong such as silk reeling qigong, ie. 11 pm would keep one awake at night. The only form of Qigong that doesn't disturb sleep pattern for me is sitting Qigong meditation on lower Dan Tian.

2. Emotional issues could cause sleeplessness. Forgiveness and repeated forgiveness is a recipe for sound sleep.

3. Adaptogen herb such as schisandra berry or wu wei zi may help sleep faster. However, for a person with good Qi, that berry may shorten the number of hours of sleep taken.

Those have been my experience,
                                Alphonsus

Comment

Working...
                                X