The Heart Sutra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Heart Sutra

Just a quick question ... I finished reading The Complete Book of Shaolin yesterday, which was (as always) a fascinating read. Towards the end, Sifu mentions his book "The Wisdom of the Heart Sutra". Does anyone know if this has been published, as I can't find a reference to it anywhere else. I've read several other books (i.e. by other authors) on Buddhism as well as The Complete Book of Zen and Sukhavati, and can honestly say that I find Sifu's are the clearest to understand. So, I'd love to find a copy of the aforementioned if it is in print.

Thanks in advance.

I know that Sifu has written a book on the Heart Sutra, but sadly, it has not been published. I'm sure that, when Sifu finds a way to publish his book, you will hear all about it on this forum and his website.

In the meantime, in addition to Sifu's wonderful books, I would recommend the following books on the Heart Sutra:

"There Is No Suffering: A Commentary on the Heart Sutra" by Master Sheng Yen

"The Heart of Understanding: Commentaries on the Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra"
    by Thich Nhat Hanh

Both books offer slightly different perspectives (one is Chan, one is Theravada), but I think both have something to offer. Happy reading.
    Sifu Anthony Korahais
    www.FlowingZen.com
    (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Thank you for your swift reply. I guessed Sifu's book was not in print, but shall look forward to reading it in due course In the meantime, I shall certainly pursue your recommendations.

Comment

The Heart Sutra

Good Day!

Who was the Venerable Master that whrite down the Heart Sutra?

Thanks!

Comment

Heart Sutra sung by Anita Mui

Dear Family,

I just downloaded a song, sung by Anita Mui: the Heart Sutra. It can be downloaded from this link: http://geocities.com/heart_sutera/anita.mp3

The lyrics is in Chinese; I wonder whether they are the 260 words of the Sutra?

At the end, there is the unmistakable chant of

'Gaté Gaté Paragaté Parasamgaté
          Bodhi Svaha!'

Joko
          开心 好运气
          kai xin... .......hao yunqi... - Sifu's speech, April 2005
          open heart... good chi flow... good luck ...
          ------------------------------------------------------------
          Have we not opened up thy heart ...? (The Reading, 94:1)
          Be joyful, ..and share your joy with others -(Anand Krishna)

Comment

What a beautiful song

Thanks,

Diarmuid
            `My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
            Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Shelly

Comment

Heart Sutra as sung by Anita Mui

Dear Sihing Joko

Confirm that the song is indeed, the Heart Sutra, in Cantonese. It was sung by the late Anita Mui (Hong Kong singer, for a charitable event).

With warmest regards
              Lee Hwan King

Comment

Dear Hwan King,

Thanks for the confirmation.

I did not realize that Anita Mui has passed away.
                She has made great contribution by singing the Heart Sutra.

My pray for her.

Joko
                开心 好运气

Comment

Heart Sutra song and calligraphy

Dear Sihing

Anita Mui is not the only singer who has sung it. Quite a few of her colleagues have done that too. You can listen to them here:
                  Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

And you can see Anita singing the Heart Sutra (with fellow singer, Alan Tam) in YouTube here:
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Anita passes away a few years ago at a relatively young age, due to cancer.

On another subject relating to the Heart Sutra:
                  Brother George (Shaolin Wahnam England) visited Wei Joo and me in Kuala Lumpur. Last Tuesday, I took them to visit the Dong Zen Monastery (run by Fo Guang Shan), just outside Kuala Lumpur. As we were wondering around the huge Buddhist complex, we walked into a hall with a Reclining Buddha. The signboard outside gave me the impression that it was some sort of chinese calligraphy musuem.

A nun came to invite all 3 of us in. When we went in, we were surprised that the nun actually invited us to copy the Heart Sutra in chinese characters using Chinese black ink! (You can imagine, George, who is illiterate in Chinese, writing Chinese characters). The nun showed us to the front rows of neatly arranged desks (looked like a classroom/exam hall). On each table was a Chinese brush and a piece of paper with pre-printed Heart Sutra with Chinese characters in soft shades. All we had to do was to "fill up" (more like 'trace' the writings) these shades with black ink from the chinese brush.

We were guided to say some opening prayers, have a one pointed mind before we started writing (tracing). And when we finished, we were guided to transfer the merits accumulated for writing the entire Sutra.

I hope George can take a photo of his marvellously written piece and share with everyone in this forum. He made good effort, written the Sutra beautifully - in fact, better than my own writing.

Warmest regards
                  Hwan King

Comment

Dear brother Hwan King,

Thanks for the link. I have downloaded all. Now, I can listen to them, in various styles.

And indeed, what a beutiful experience it was, that you had with brothers WeiJoo and George!

Namo Guan Shih Yin Pousha,

Joko
                    开心 好运气

Comment

Thank you for the beautiful music and story.

Andrea
                      Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                      Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Prajna Parimita at www.dharmaweb.org

I have read and found this commentary of heart sutra so captivating and i hope that you will also enjoy this as much as i do.....

Please go into "www.dharmaweb.org" and point select "articles" on top-left side of your display. After that select "mahayana" category and then a list is displayed. Choose "prajna paramita". A very long article, best to print a copy for reference.

Comment

Monastery pictures

If you would like to see some photos of the Dong Zen (West Chan) Monastery that George and I visited during the recent Chinese New Year, please visit the following:

Click on news, and then photo gallery at the left side bar.

Warmest regards
                          Hwan King

Comment

Working...
                          X