Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Respecting the Master

Hey Guys,
    I thought I would add some off my own thoughts on this. I think we all make our own choices to respect someone. An example of this is being in a job and having to respect your manager because of his position. Y1es we have to respect but it is our choice to stay in the job!

In some respects you automatically choose to respect some one like Sifu or a Master because you are learning from him. You have to respect the fact that he can give you knowledge/experience that you may not be able to get from other sources.

Sifu talks about direct experience and by having direct experience of Sifu this only deepens the respect I have for him. He generously shares his knowledge with us and he genuinley cares about his students. When teaching Kung Fu Sifu can be very tough and there have been times in the past when I have thought " why am I here". Then you see Sifu and hear him talk about a whole range of topics. Sifu does not just talk but he obviously lives what he talks about. These are from my own direct experience. I aspire to have those standards one day and the best way for me is to study with Sifu as he is leading the way.

Coming to the 1st law. These stem from times when Kung Fu masters did not have to teach you, in fact they could have killed you for spying on them teaching or training!! In this modern age it is slightly different as the Master cannot really kill you . But it is his choice if he teaches you !!. So if you want to learn from a Master or even just an instructor you have to have respect for what they have done to get there. Also for the fact they have chosen to teach you. You can choose not to have respect but you will not learn as they have to choose to respect you enough to teach you.

Anyway enough of my ramblings

Thanks for you time

Mark
    Sifu Mark Appleford

sigpic

Comment

To achieve knowledge, you must accept that you are ignorant.

When learning from a Master you must accept that he has valuable knowledge which you are ignorant of.

Respecting the Master is a way of preparing yourself to receive knowledge.

Comment

I am new to Shaolin Wahnam and to this formum. I have been reading this thread with interest.

Life, in the big sense, is to me a great circle. Or perhaps circles of overlapping circles. There are things I want to know and experience, and I am not a genius who can find the way on my own. I am a person of humble abilities. I have searched and struggled on my own for years. There have been times when I have given up in despair and lived for years in great pain (to be honest, much of my own doing).

For myself, I cannot (or at least I have not been able) to do it on my own. I have searched for teachers who can show me the way...who can guide me on paths I may never have seen. This is what I mean by overlapping circles - where others' experience can inspire and lead me to be more fully realized than by my own efforts...whether carpentry, computing, chi kung or anything else I may do.

And now I have found a person, who in one 3-day Intensive Chi Kung course, has led me to attain far more than I ever thought possible. Through his kind instruction and example has helped me to begin to forgive myself, to forgive, love and embrace all beings. That I "must" respect this man is silly. My immense respect wells up as an undeniable outpouring of deep gratitute for the gift of his teaching. I cannot do anything other than pay attention. I am following his instructions. My life is getting better every day. I will follow this path, respectfully focused on the path as it reveals itself from day to day.

And if, at some future time, it becomes important for me to follow other paths, I will always be greatful for and respectful of the opportunity he has given me to learn.

All this is, I know, somewhat emotional and less than intellectual. But respect is not an intellectual exercise. If it is, I think perhaps it is not really respect.

Thank you for allowing me to share,

Marcus

Comment

Wonderful post Marcus.... thanks.

Andrew
          Sifu Andrew Barnett
          Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
          Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
          Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

For a more down-to-earth reason why we should respect our master, I quote Sifu:

A master whose art gives you good health, vitality, mental freshness and spiritual joy actually does not care whether you respect him more or your dog. But those students who have experienced the wonderful benefits of genuine kungfu and chi kung will understand that the respect given to the master is not only a sincere token of appreciation to the master for sharing his art, but also constitutes an ideal psychological state for the training to take place.
            A common misconception is that this eastern philosophy of paying respect to the master is just a tradition to "please" the master (I am not talking about anyone here, but I have heard this reasoning many times on various occasions). Respecting the master is in the student's interest, not the master's.
            Hubert Razack
            www.shaolinwahnam.fr
            www.sourireducoeur.fr

Comment

On topic?

By showing proper respect to the teacher, we a) do what he or she instructs us to do and b) do not do what is not asked of us (or adding things to the teaching). To do otherwise is to presume you are smarter than the teacher. One matter that probably causes undue mental blockage is when you have had more than one teacher and they may say different things. As an avid follower of Sifu Wong's teachings, we are told not to worry too much about form (like in stance training). My current Sifu, a great guy, places most of his emphasis in teaching on structure. When you have different teachers teaching different things, would you try to not add what you have learned before, or try to empty your cup completely? I know that Sifu Wong has told people on the Q & A series to learn from him, and then apply what they learn in an intensive course to apply it to what people are learning.... is this presuming that you "know more than the teacher"?

Comment

Hi there Chia,

I think that the key thing for you is to actually go and learn from Sifu. Then and only then will you be in a position to know what comes next in terms of integrating his teachings into your training or adopting Wahnam as your path.

How is your qi flow going? (off topic sorry, maybe you can start another thread like "my taste of Wahnam and how it did/didn't make things clearer/easier/more confusing"!!!) Btw, I'm still trying to work out whether "inscrutable" was meant as a compliment or not

On topic, Hubert has made an excellent point when he says that respecting the master is for the student's benefit.

Enjoy your training!
                Jeffrey Segal

Comment

Thank you, Hubert. That's a nice counterpoint to my personal student's view. I very much like the part where Sifu says respect "constitutes an ideal psychological state for the training to take place."

For myself, I have found that my whole approach to regular and focussed training is different than ever before. Because of my respect and gratitude, I have a new attitude - I enjoy my training.

Still learning...

Marcus

Comment

Jeffrey, how are you? Hope that the move to Melbourne went well! It's such a beautiful city, I can't wait to return (and wishing we had a Cibo here in Portland)!
                    Originally posted by Jeffrey Segal
                    Btw, I'm still trying to work out whether "inscrutable" was meant as a compliment or not
                    I think I meant "impeccable"... after looking up the dictionary definition, I realized perhaps I was implying that you were an international man of mystery?
                    I think that the key thing for you is to actually go and learn from Sifu. Then and only then will you be in a position to know what comes next in terms of integrating his teachings into your training or adopting Wahnam as your path.
                    Too true; a simple, direct, and effective solution!

How is your qi flow going?
                    Briefly, it's going OK, though the constant rain of Portland tends to dampen my outdoor training/qi flow options.

Back on topic, Sifu likes to point out the etymology of "Sifu", or "teacher/father". That stage sort of comes after you realize how much you have been given, and how much more you have to learn. But the notion of respect becomes automatic, like the respect you'd show your own family. It's not always easy, but something you cannot help but do.
                    Last edited by Chiahua; 16 December 2004, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WahnamCH
                      - What does this mean?
                      - To whom should respect be shown?
                      - How deep should this respect be?
                      - How should it be displayed?

Andrew
                      respect should be shown to yourself; the master lies within. this respect should be as much as you love yourself; i mean afterall it is your life and body... you can respect it as you wish. you should display this respect by expressing yourself through art, wether it be martial art, masonry art, painting art, singing art, gardening art, whatever... expression is our divine gift. we are here to create. create splendor in all you do. have a belief and stand by it, even to the point of death. in essence you must be true to yourself... anything less is betrayal. when you are true and honest with yourself, you will be able to be true and honest to everyone else.

Comment

Interesting thoughts uki. You don't seem to have encountered a true Master in the flesh though.

Andrew
                        Sifu Andrew Barnett

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)

Comment

Originally posted by WahnamCH
                          Interesting thoughts uki. You don't seem to have encountered a true Master in the flesh though.

Andrew
                          what makes you so certain? please forgive my inquiry, but how is it you know so much about me outside of the 'puter screen? do we know each other in the "real" world? i naturally keep to myself on a daily basis and i am afraid i do not recall meeting you anywhere in all of my worldly travels.

Comment

Fair enough, Uki. We don't know you. So why don't you tell us simply and directly?

Have you learned from a master -- in the flesh?
                            Sifu Anthony Korahais
                            www.FlowingZen.com
                            (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Originally posted by uki
                              but how is it you know so much about me outside of the 'puter screen?
                              Intuition and a healthy dose of knowledge of human nature.

Andrew
                              Sifu Andrew Barnett

Comment

Dear Uki,

Those of us who have learned from a Master are generally quick to acknowledge that great blessing and to express our deep gratitude and respect.

With Shaolin Salute,
                                Charles David Chalmers
                                Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Working...
                                X