• 1st Shaolin Law - 'Required to Respect the Master'

- What does this mean?
    - To whom should respect be shown?
    - How deep should this respect be?
    - How should it be displayed?

Andrew
    Sifu Andrew Barnett
    Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
    Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
    Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

What does this mean?
    As I understand it, it means to respect the master and it is a must.
    To whom should respect be shown?
    To the master.
    How deep should this respect be?
    In everything. For example, I heard that sifu Wong kiew kit says that his intensive chi kung course is really intensive. Sifu said in three day you can do this and that. But if I told my self why shouldn't I try my luck and see how well the course will work, and see if it really works or not. If it works I'll be his student. In my opinion this is disrespect to a sifu. You must trust him if you want to be his student.
    How should it be displayed?
    By trusting your sifu in everything. For example, sifu wong didn't said for his master why should I stop training iron palm. Or how can breathing and sound effects help me in cosmos palm. This is a prove that sifu Wong respected his master and we can see why he is a real deal in shaolin kung fu, chi Kung and tajiquan.
    correct me if i'm wronge
    yours,
    alawadhi

Comment

Side stepping.

After giving this some thought, dealing with the questions like deep and difficult puzzles to be worked out, it has occured to me that Sifu has given us a powerful technique for sidestepping such powerful intellectual confrontations. To demonstrate:

Q. How does one respect the Master?
      A. ''Don't ask how to do it. Just do it.''

Gratefully,

cha
      Charles David Chalmers
      Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Definition

It seems to me that I did not really address the first question, ''what does it mean to respect the Master'', so I went to my dictionary.

To respect means to pay particular attention to something or someone, or to have a high or special regard for them.

As this relates to me: I pay special attention to Sifu, his words and his actions. When he is speaking, I listen. When he is demonstrating, I watch. What he writes I read to the best of my ability. In terms of high regard, I look UP to him. He is a role model for me and he provides a clear example of what I aspire to.

Respect is an internal condition that we can cultivate. Sifu has pointed out that the respect that we have for him is not for his benefit but for ours since the internal condition of respect provides the best ground for cultivating ourselves.

How should we express our respect?
        How should it be displayed?
        Naturally and inevitably?

Passing the Microphone,

cha
        Charles David Chalmers
        Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Having just returned from my second intensive qigong course, I have many things to say. I had wanted to post this under "Following Instructions" but this may be a better place.

I had already respected Shifu before taking my first course from him, but the thing about respect is that, like love, it grows deeper over time and familiarity. I found myself more respectful than at the first course (I hope Shifu thinks so). Maybe it was not manifested outwardly but certainly the sense of respect was far far deeper than the first day I met Shifu.

There are times when I am caught in a dilemma. Shifu is very "modern", in that he invites us to ask questions and in the way he interacts with us, and especially in how he shares the secrets of qigong and Shaolinquan. I have studied from very taciturn and aloof teachers who are not as open as Shifu.

But I sometimes wonder if my questions may offend Shifu. To give an example, some students were making a comment about how they were very self-conscious about doing self-manifested qi movement in front of many people. So, I told Shifu about what the students were saying. Immediately after I said it, I regretted doing so because even to my ears, it seemed like I was telling Shifu how to teach. If Shifu felt that the people watching would hinder the learning, he would have moved the venue somewhere else. I can only take comfort in the fact that i had absolutely no intention of telling Shifu what to do or how to teach. So, in future, I think I will just shut up. I don't think I would have mused and reflected on this if I do not respect Shifu. I would say respect includes being always mindful of how one speaks to, talks about and otherwise interacts with the master.

This thing about "Don't ask, just do it" may be hard for those who have never learnt from Shifu to comprehend. But I had many occasions in the course to practice it. I never had any hesitation because I know Shifu only intends the best for me and he knows better. But this sort of blind faith, if I can call it that, does not come at once. Much as i respected Shifu at my first course, looking back, I realise now that there were times when I was doubtful as well, and that surely impeded my progress. To reiterate, respect grows with time and familiarity. This is one instance where familiarity does not breed contempt.
          百德以孝为先
          Persevere in correct practice

Comment

Nice post Wuji. Thanks.

Andrew
            Sifu Andrew Barnett

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)

Comment

As this relates to me: I pay special attention to Sifu, his words and his actions. When he is speaking, I listen. When he is demonstrating, I watch. What he writes I read to the best of my ability. In terms of high regard, I look UP to him. He is a role model for me and he provides a clear example of what I aspire to.
              WOW! That's really inspiring. I would agree: That's respect.

"Don't ask, just do it"
              It offers doing without thinking. The highest skill a practicioner is aiming for in meditation, Chi Kung , Gong Fu.
              Do and with the generousity if Sifu you can reach highest benefits on all levels. Thanks for pointing it out Cha Sihing.

I'd like to add that a Shaolin student should pay respect and be compassionated to all sentient beeings.

Respectfully

Roland
              "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
              Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

It offers doing without thinking. The highest skill a practicioner is aiming for in meditation, Chi Kung , Gong Fu.
                There may be a language issue here. Doing without thinking is certainly not what should be aimed for. One should always be aware of one's actions. There may be occasions (for example when attacked) where the (sub-conscious or universal) mind takes over and the practitioner is not immediately aware (consciously) of their physical actions but this is not the same.

I'd like to add that a Shaolin student should pay respect and be compassionated to all sentient beeings.
                This is also not quite true. Maybe you were refering to the 9th Shaolin Law...

Obliged to be humane, compassionate and spread love, and to realize everlasting peace and happiness for all people.

Andrew
                Sifu Andrew Barnett

Comment

Doing without thinking is certainly not what should be aimed for. One should always be aware of one's actions.
                  I apologise, my English is not that perfect. you are right, Andrew Sihing. But I was trying to say that one should get the chance to do without having irrelevant thoughts. I didn't want to say that one should not be aware of what he's doing, in fact beeing aware is most fundamental to be, to get one-pointed mind
                  When listening to Sifu's advice one can experience to be focused, beeing aware of. Irrelevant thoughts, if followed the advice just do, and don't think about, won't arise. One can get the best benefit out of the exercise through direct experience.

Respectfully

Roland

Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Question

Originally posted by WahnamCH

This is also not quite
                    Andrew

I was wondering about this too. How is what Luo Lang said true and how not true, Andrew Siheng?

Respectfully,

cha
                    Charles David Chalmers
                    Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Cha,

An example, I would not ask anyone to pay respect to an evil being. Again this could maybe be a language issue.

This thread was about respecting the Master. This is required of a Shaolin Disciple. Displaying compassion (see 9th Law above) is required too. Paying respect to all and sundry is not required.

I respect others besides my Master too - but not in the same way I respect my Master. For example I have the greatest respect for my other teachers such as Anthony, Joan, Darryl and other instructors here. My respect and love for my family is also without question. This respect for others is not required of me - I require it of myself.

Andrew
                      Sifu Andrew Barnett

Comment

But this sort of blind faith, if I can call it that, does not come at once
                        This is true. As the Buddha said, we should base our faith on understanding and experience. I have the greatest respect for my Sifu's, but do not expect someone who knows nothing of them to respect them too.
                        Respect for the Master is also very important to practice safely and effectively. If we do not have this repspect then we may think we are smarter than him and not follow his instructions carefully.
                        Namo Ami Tuo Fo
                        Phil

Comment

Growing

Andrew

Thank you for your answer. Especially interesting is your statment that you require it of yourself to respect others. I would think that our capacity for respect would grow as our level of attainment grows...as our capacity for compassion.

Respectfully,

Charles
                          Charles David Chalmers
                          Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Hi there,
                            Mmmmhhh I see, my statements lead away from the topic. I apilogise for that!
                            My respect for Sifu is there without questioning: why? I don't know why I respect him ,as I feel to behave respectful because I have experienced from my first course on what gift he has given to me.
                            Respect is to follow a Sifu's advice.
                            But I also respect my Sihing and Sihing's: Without the work and conviction of him to invite Sifu and his arts for a course I would never have had the chance to get in touch with this beautyful arts. I don't know what I would do....
                            I have also respect to other Masters and their students as they are also searching.....And because I can learn from them to improve the system I believe in.
                            I respect all human beeings as I belive everyone deserves respect. The adjudging I leave to the wheel of life.

I would not ask anyone to pay respect to an evil being
                            I agree the translation of respect in another languagge is difficult:
                            Maybe I misunderstand the word. But Cha has given a great explanation what that word means:
                            "To respect means to pay particular attention to something or someone, or to have a high or special regard for them"
                            In my explanation I maybe wanted to take the special regard for closer:
                            I don't want to judge them as I know that I am not perfect too. I regret them beacuse I know that they suffer far away from any human imagination. To pay special attention for them sometimes and beeing compassionated to pray for them was what I wanted to say.
                            In the complete book of shaolin Sifu mentioned a Master who was praying for the lost spirits. That was my inspiration for my statement.

Warmest regards

Roland

Comment

1st Shaolin Law - 'Required to Respect the Master'

This is a good prerequisite to becoming a student.
                              Bow to the master so that you can listen to his/her wisdom.
                              Bow deeper when you have gained from the wisdom taught to you.
                              Always be humble to your master and you will find deeper wisdom on your path.

Best wishes,

Anton

Comment

Working...
                              X