Famous Wulin sayings 武林名言

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous Wulin sayings 武林名言

Hi I suggested a thread on famous wulin (or kungfu) sayings. Here is my contribution:

『师父引进门, 修练靠自身』

《十三势歌》又曰:『入门引路须口授, 功夫无息法自修』

Quick and non-literal translation: The teacher brings you to a certain point, the rest is up to you. The first quote was taught to me by my wushu instructor, the second is from the Taijiquan classics.
    Last edited by Zhang Wuji; 25 October 2004, 02:27 AM. Reason: Typos
    百德以孝为先
    Persevere in correct practice

Pinyin please

Hello Wuji,

Great idea! Could you please post the pinyin for those of us who have just started learning Mandarin?

xiexie ni
    Jeffrey Segal

Comment

Sure thing, but I am a Mandarin speaker so I have no idea about other dialects:

『师父引进门, 修练靠自身』

Shi1 fu4 yin3 jin4 men2, xiu1 lian4 kao4 zi4 shen1

《十三势歌》又曰:『入门引路须口授, 功夫无息法自修』

shi2 san1 shi4 ge1 (title of the classic) you4 yue1 (also says):
      ru4 men2 yin3 lu4 xu1 kou3 shou4, gong1 fu (light sound, no tone) wu2 xi1 fa3 zi4 xiu1
      百德以孝为先

Comment

大家好,

I just figured out how to input chinese characters using window 2000。
        Let me try to put the pinyin of the first phrase。 I am not so use to pinyin so it takes me quite a while to check the dictionary to confirm that they are correct。 I will leave the second phrase to Wuji

师父引进门,修练靠自身
        shi1fu4yin3jin4men2, xiu1lian4kao4zi4shen1

Qingui

Comment

Mandarin is fine by me!

Since I'm learning Mandarin, your Mandarin pinyin is just perfect for me, Wuji.

At this stage, it's more for fun than anything else. I'm still learning how to pronounce and distinguish the initials and finals.

Cong1ming nan2, Hu2tu nan2, you2 cong1ming dao4 hu2tu geng4nan2

At this stage, I'm still enjoying Cong1ming nan2

Zaijian
          Jeffrey Segal

Comment

不经一番寒刺骨, 焉得梅花扑鼻香
            bu4 jing1 yi1fan1 han2 ci4 gu3, yan3 de2 mei2 hua1 pu1 bi3 xiang1

据我了解, 这句话出自毛泽东的一首诗. 恳请各位助我追溯这句话的渊源.

Hi, another contribution. This line is from Mao Zedong, I think. I have never seen it written down, just heard my lecturer in university use it once, and it stayed in my head, so it may be wrongly quoted.

It says: Without a period of chilling cold, one would not experience the scent of plum blossoms. In other words, you will not achive anything worthwhile without hard work.
            Last edited by Andrew; 1 November 2004, 07:13 AM.
            百德以孝为先

Comment

无忌你好,

记得中学时代在林世敏居士著[向中学生介绍佛教]一书中看到这句话。 当时非常喜欢,到现在还印象深刻。
              书中并没标明引处。还有林居士写成寒彻骨而不是刺骨。

清贵

Comment

Originally posted by Zhang Wuji
                不经一番寒刺骨, 焉得梅花扑鼻香
                多谢师兄指点!

不经一番寒彻骨, 焉得梅花扑鼻香

OK, thanks to qingui for pointing out an error. The correct quote is above.
                百德以孝为先

Comment

Originally posted by qingui
                  大家好,

I just figured out how to input chinese characters using window 2000。
                  Let me try to put the pinyin of the first phrase。 I am not so use to pinyin so it takes me quite a while to check the dictionary to confirm that they are correct。 I will leave the second phrase to Wuji

师父引进门,修练靠自身
                  shi1fu4yin3jin4men2, xiu1lian4kao4zi4shen1

Qingui
                  Hi Qinggui,
                  How do you input chinese characters using windows 2000? Hope you can post the procedure

Thanks.

Comment

No problem

Before this I would like to quote the instructions given by Yixin on how to do it on Window XP, I must thank him as this prompts me to try it out under Window 2000

"Start->Control Panel->Regional and Language Settings

goto the Languages tab, make sure "Install files for East Asian languages" is checked.
                    then click on Details... You will be able to "Add..." a new input language.
                    choose Chinese for "input language" which ever flavor you like.
                    for "Keyboard layout/IME", choose Chinese (Simplified or Traditional) - US Keyboard to use pinyin as input method. If you choose something else like Chinese(Traditional) - New Phonetic, you're gonna have to learn whatever that input method understands.

click OK

After you've added your input method, you can setup a shortcut to switch between english and chinese input in "Key Settings..." You can also show or hide what your input language is by showing the "Language Bar..."

Here is how I do it under Window 2000

Starts control panel, then regional options.
                    Open menu for General: Tick simplified Chinese
                    Then open menu for Input Locales:
                    Under input language, click add then under Input locale select
                    Chinese (PRC); then under Keyboard/IMF select Chinese(Simplified)-
                    QuanPin.
                    Remember to enable indicator on task bar so you can switch between input locales easily, otherwise you may have to remember the change ky sequence
                    Click OK and to restart the computer to have the changes enable.

A task bar will appear for you to switch between En-English(US) and 拼-全拼输入法定5.0版.

I hope this help

Qingui

Comment

Since we are back to this topic, I would like to add another variation of the saying, which I just heard from my Taijiquan instructor yesterday:

师父引进(入) 门, 修练靠个人
                      百德以孝为先

Comment

Thanks Qingui

Comment

Sayings about the master & student

Here are 2 more contributions. I am quite ashamed that I had not posted them earlier as these sayings are about the master-disciple relationship.

名师出高徒
                          一日为师, 终生为父

#1 - ming2 shi1 chu1 gao1 tu2 - A great master produces good students

#2 - yi2 ri4 wei2 shi1, zhong1 sheng1 wei2 fu4 - Your master or teacher for one day becomes your father for life.
                          [note for the benefit of the Mandarin beginners: the pinyin for 一日 is not yi1 ri4, because of the Putonghua linguistic rules. When combined with a fourth tone, the character "one" is read in the second tone]
                          百德以孝为先

Comment

Working...
                          X