This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we have more than one TaiSiHeng ?

"Further, you stated repeatedly (to Siheng Jeffrey, Taisiheng Douglas, Taisije Jean and Taisiheng Kay, and to me) that"

The above is a quote from Emiko Sijie and I thought that the term Taisiheng is used rather loosely.

My understanding is "Taisiheng" should be used to address the most senior brother in the school and there should not be more than one. He could be Siheng Douglas, Siheng Kay or another more senior male student of Sifu.

Of course one can have more than one "Taisiheng" if one learnt from a few schools and is addressing the senior of different schools.

Comment

Maybe someone will be able to answer better than me .... but isn't there a big difference between SiTaiHing (Biggest older brother) and TaiSiHing (Older Big Brother)?
      Sifu Andrew Barnett
      Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
      Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
      Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
        big difference between SiTaiHing (Biggest older brother) and TaiSiHing (Older Big Brother)?
        I believe that the character for "Tai" in "SiTaiHing" is not the same as the "Tai" in "TaiSiHing". The first "Tai" I think is "太" as in SiTaiGung, the same "tai" in "Taijiquan" which is a superlative. The "tai" in "TaiSiHing" it think is "大", which is "big". "Sihing" already connotes one who is senior in position relative to you, but I'm guessing that "TaiSiHing" would be someone much more senior to you. So while I learned from Sifu which would make the instructors my "Sihings" or "SiJies", I might say "TaiSiHing" to acknowledge the fact that they are Sifus in their own right.

I think...

Comment

Dear Shaolin Family and Friends,

From my experience, TaiSiHing traditionally refers to the "oldest" brother in the school. When I say "oldest", I mean the first one to enter the school and not his birth-age. Thus, from this point of view, there can only be one TaiSiHing.

However, I believe it may be possible to use TaiSiHing for multiple persons. For example, it can be used to refer to the oldest kungfu brother on a particular region or branch. For example, Kai and Douglas are most senior in their respective regions, then they could be refered to as TaiSiHing.

Another possible use is to express a great deal of respect. For example, Jean and Kay are one of Sifu's top students, so addressing them as TaiSiHing is a sign of respect.

So, technically speaking, there is only one TaiSiHing. However, we may change the use for practical reasons. Please remember that these definitions are meant to benefit us all and not to enslave us.

Regarding the term "SiTaiHing", I've never heard used before. If someone can give an example of how it was used, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best wishes,
          Mike
          Last edited by Charles David; 15 August 2007, 08:37 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

During a recent dinner with Sifu this subject was mentionned.

Sifu has never heard about the word SiTaiHing.

Regarding 'TaiSihing', it usually refers to the first student to enter the school (hence the oldest one). In the case of the Shaolin Wahnam Institute, it would be TaiSihing Goh Kok Hin.

But TaiSihing can also refer to the oldest student in some special area. For instance, in Europe Douglas and Kai are our TaiSihings.

Even more precise, in a country the oldest student would be TaiSihing. For example, in USA Anthony would be TaiSihing (if I am not misleaded).

In the end, it is not to be forgotten that the level of skill is an important factor; out of respect, one student could slightly change the tradition and call TaiSihing one of his brother - one who has reached a particularly high level of skill -. A way to acknowledge his/her great achievement.
            Last edited by Maxime; 29 August 2007, 08:57 PM.

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

Mental clarity and the three levels of practice

Kung Fu family names
              It cost me some difficulty to find this post again, so I'll just put a reply on it to provide some freshness on it. Hopefully this may also benefit some other relatively new students.

Practicing mental clarity through Kung Fu names
              Next to respecting our Kung Fu culture, using the correct names to address our kung fu brothers and sisters is also an excellent way to train our mental clarity and use our Kung Fu in daily life.

The three levels of practice
              This reminds me of the three levels of Practice Sigung mentioned during the Small Universe Course.
              1 make sure you do practice
              2 always practice correctly
              3 always aim to practice at your best skill level
              Clearly, practicing at level 3 should transcend and include the previous 2 levels, as shaolin students should progress in a linear fashion without stepping back.
              As an example, practicing only once a week at the best of your skill level does not mean you are practicing at level 3. It means you are not even practicing at level 1.

Happy practice,

Jeroen

Comment

Dear Jeroen,

It was a genuine pleasure to meet you at the Small Universe Course.

I could not agree more with this statement:

Originally posted by Jeroen
                Next to respecting our Kung Fu culture, using the correct names to address our kung fu brothers and sisters is also an excellent way to train our mental clarity and use our Kung Fu in daily life.
                Please give my warmest regards to your Sifu (who is my Siheng).

Best wishes,

Emiko (Siguje)
                Emiko Hsuen
                www.shaolinwahnam.jp
                www.shaolinwahnam.ca

INTENSIVE & SPECIAL COURSES -- PENANG 2018
                Taught by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
                4th generation successor of the Southern Shaolin Monastery
                Small and Big Universe Course: Nov 21 to 25
                Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner: Nov 26 to Dec 2
                Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy: Dec 2 to Dec 8
                Intensive Chi Kung Course: Dec 9 to Dec 13
                To apply, send email to: secretary@shaolin.org

Comment

Is there anyway we could sticky this? Or perhaps put a shortened version of it somewhere that is easy to find on the Virtual Kwoon?

I myself still have trouble with these and have to search for the thread every once in a while to look up the names. Maybe we could make it easier for others who aren't as proficient at using searches online.
                  "Take a moment to feel how wonderful it feels just to be alive."
                  - Sifu

Comment

Great idea, Alex --- consider it done
                    Sifu Andrew Barnett

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)

Comment

Dear All!

Would TaiSije be the correct way to address the first Sister in our School...?

Respectfully,

Piti

Comment

As I understand it, Piti, yes.
                        Sifu Andrew Barnett

Comment

Originally posted by parrapiti View Post

Would TaiSije be the correct way to address the first Sister in our School...?
                          This how I understand it. If one wants to add a prefix such as first(Tai), second (Er), third(San) and etc to the title then both sexes are group together taking into consideration.
                          For example if the most senior student in the school is a lady then she is the TaiSije and if the second is also a lady then she is the ErSije. If the most senior male student comes third then he is the SanSiHeng and not the TaiSiHeng and so on. Since there are thousands of us in Wahnam, it is just not practical to address our brothers/sisters this way. I think it should suffice just to address either SiHeng, Sije etc.

I would therefore think that it is probably not "formally" correct to address the most senior female as TaiSiJe if she is not the most senior among all male and female. However I think it is not wrong to address somebody as TaiSiJe out of pure respect.

Comment

Thank you, Brothers!

Piti

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family

I am preparing some materials to help my student understand the family terms correctly. I am missing the female terms corresponding to Sipakgung/Sisookgung. The diagram below is in German - but I hope it illustrates which terms I am missing. Does anybody know what they are?

Best regards
                              Andrea
                              Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                              Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Dear ... Andrea,

this is just a subject I am thinking about ... since I do not know how to response correctly and politely to the Sifu's being present here.
                                I am not sure at all - my first teacher being Grandmaster Sifu Wong at a course, and my personal teacher at another course being Irene in Linz. Andrew (?Sihing?) told me Grandmaster Wong would be my Sifu, and Irene my Sije ... and all the others not being my teachers directly?

Sorry for me being so confused ... but how to address correctly to you and other present Sifu's?

kind regards,
                                confermezza
                                Chi Kung student
                                ... alles, alles, alles ist doch auf Liebe aufgebaut ..." (Ellen Auerbach, 1997)

Comment

Working...
                                X