This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear sifu
    Thanks for the reply. This, after all seems to be even more complicated than I thought....

As I am your Sifu, Jamie would be your honoured Siheng I think.
    Though you are my sifu ( that was easy to figure out ) and Jamie is a sifu too, I just thought that he might be my Uncle.
    For if Sifu means master/father and Jamie would be your siheng or sidai ( senior/ junior brother ) he therefor must be my uncle....

But I seemed to be wrong so we'll have to discuss that on a future occasion.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    He who knows much about others may be learned, but he who understands himself is more intelligent. He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.

Comment

Dear Kingmonkey,

Your Sifu is correct .

Sifu Wong is 4th Generation, I am 5th (learned from Sifu Wong first) and Jamie is 6th (learned from me first).

Due to his hard work, dilligent practice and good heart, Jamie has been made a Shaolin Wahnam instructor. However, he is still sixth generation and the usual family terms are used.

An enjoyable exception to this could be a senior student, either 5th or 6th generation, addressing Jamie as "Sihing". This, though technically incorrect, could be used to compliment Jamie on his skill and experience.

Hope this helps,
      Darryl
      Last edited by Darryl; 25 February 2007, 03:45 PM.

Comment

My Monkey Bros pointed out quite an interessting aspect.

If in doubt first just look at the generation. Jamie is a Sifu because of his promotion to be a full instructor, which results in having his own students. As he's having his own students, he simply becomes a Sifu.
        "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
        Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

So Thanks a lot Darryl Si Pak
          Your post made it very much clearer to me. so it's due to the generatins the family terms are normaly given and not to the state of expierience. Ok that cleares a lot of confusion in my head.

Thank you to sifu, so you were right. Just to make it totaly clear, I never doubted your knowledge, I just wanted to show what was going on in my untrained total beginner-brain, so that it can be corrected. And Darryl did so, thanks again.

PS: @ Darryl; allready heard a lot of you, I hope to meet you someday......
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          He who knows much about others may be learned, but he who understands himself is more intelligent. He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.

Comment

Sorry if I muddy things up yet a little more

In classical novels (which may differ from the Southern Shaolin tradition), the terms "Shimu (Simu)" and "Shiguma (Sikuma)" are reserved for the spouses of the master or the senior (male) disciple respectively, and do not refer to your martial art seniors in the lineage. As a rule, even if your Shibo or Shishu (Sipak/Sisook) are ladies, they would still be addressed as if they were male. Your master who teaches you would always be a Shifu (Sifu) even if she is a lady master. There is a term for the husband of the lady Sifu but I cannot for the life of me remember what it is now.
            百德以孝为先
            Persevere in correct practice

Comment

Would somebody be so kind and help me solve the following "knots" in my understanding of how to use the family titles?
              How would the following people be adressed considering that I first learned from Sifu (Roland) and am therefore 6th generation?
              • A student of another Shaolin Wahnam instructor -> Would here the generation work - As he/she is also a 6th generation would the brother/sister titles be used? And if so would the Junior/Senor be based on when we started to study first or when our Sifu's learned first? (My "real" family is very small - so no uncles/aunts .. and thus a bit lost even in "western" family titles).
              • A student who started the same day as I under the same instructor. All things being equal would then the age be deciding about the Shiheng or Sidai ?

Thank you
              Last edited by Andrea; 12 June 2007, 11:00 AM.
              Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
              Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Hi Andrea,

I think post #7 in this very thread has what you are looking for. It also talks about "tie-breakers" used to determine seniority.

For instance, I am also 6th generation (my Sifu is Anthony), and I believe I started before you, so I think I would address you as Simui and you would address me as Siheng.
                Chris Didyk
                Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Dear Si Jat Lui Andrea,

As you are a student of my Siheng, Sifu Roland that would make me your (Junior?) Kung Fu uncle. Hmm. Does the Junior indicate that Sifu Roland is Senior to me? Is that right?

Best wishes,
                  Sisook,
                  Charles David Chalmers
                  Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Originally posted by Grimlock View Post
                    Hi Andrea,

I think post #7 in this very thread has what you are looking for. It also talks about "tie-breakers" used to determine seniority.
                    Thank you Grimlock - yes the answer was there right in front of my nose

Comment

Originally posted by cha muir View Post
                      Dear Si Jat Lui Andrea,

As you are a student of my Siheng, Sifu Roland that would make me your (Junior?) Kung Fu uncle. Hmm. Does the Junior indicate that Sifu Roland is Senior to me? Is that right?

Best wishes,
                      Sisook,

Yes Sisook I believe that is right.

Comment

Gar

Hello all!

One thing I'm a little unsure of...

I first learned from Sifu Rama, who first learned from Sifu Wong, which makes him 5th generation and me 6th generation, right? Now that I've learned from Sifu Wong, do I still use names for others based on my learning from Sifu Rama? Or do I change it up? For example if I'm 6th generation Sifu Emiko would be my aunt, but if it changes she would be my big sister.

Meh?

D-rew
                        Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Comment

If your Grandpa teaches you to fish, do you call him "Dad?"
                          Adam Bailey
                          Shaolin WahNam USA

Comment

Yo, fo shizzle, well put my Si Hing. I sense much Sifu Andrew radiating from you with this statement

Drew
                            Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Comment

I sense much Sifu Andrew radiating from you with this statement
                              Well, I definitely take that as a compliment!

After posting it, I actually thought it sounded a bet pretentious, but I was at work and didn't really have the time to go back and edit. Glad you got the meaning.
                              Adam Bailey
                              Shaolin WahNam USA

Comment

Originally posted by seenordrew View Post
                                I first learned from Sifu Rama, who first learned from Sifu Wong, which makes him 5th generation and me 6th generation, right? Now that I've learned from Sifu Wong, do I still use names for others based on my learning from Sifu Rama?
                                Yes. You still call Rama Siheng your Sifu, and Sifu (Sifu Wong) your Sigung.

You would still call me your Sisook, and Emiko Sijie would still be your aunt.

Kind regards,

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

Working...
                                X